Chit Chat
Options

Passover dinner ideas?

So little back story. I am not Jewish, FI is not Jewish, my BSC FMIL is not Jewish. Passover is NEXT week, yet somehow we are having "Passover" at our house this Saturday. His mom insists on doing it every year and after two years of not eating anything she made (raw chicken and charcoaled tri tip) we finally decided at least if we have to do this we might as well do it at our place so the food is edible.

So any suggestions on what to make for dinner for 8 for this weird fake version of Passover? I know there are certain things your supposed to have like the charoset, but aside from that I am lost.

Re: Passover dinner ideas?

• Options
    bacon wrapped shrimp?

DH use to cook passover dinner for some 200+ people.  He would make kosher brisket.   Motza  ball soup.  Steamed veggies.    He didn't cook Kosher because his kitchen wasn't Kosher and the guests were not that strict.  He just cooked Kosher style.  He made sure the brisket was from a kosher place.  He also didn't cook with butter.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I wanna get on board with Passover because of the required 4 glasses of wine.

This might help.

• Options

@lolo883 the wine is pretty much the only reason I can handle FMIL. I approve of any holiday that requires me to drink!

The coffee braised brisket recipe in there sounds amazing!

• Options

This might help.
    Quick question: One of my closest friend is Jewish and is having a Passover meal. She invited me over, what should I bring over? Do I bring something over? 

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    AlexisA01 said:

This might help.
    Quick question: One of my closest friend is Jewish and is having a Passover meal. She invited me over, what should I bring over? Do I bring something over? 
    assuming they drink Kosher wine would be a good hostess gift.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

AlexisA01 said:

This might help.
    Thank you. I wasn't sure if wine would be appropriate but I have an idea now. Thank you, time to head to Total Wine lol

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

AlexisA01 said:

This might help.
    Kosher wine is disgusting. Is she legit kosher? Cuz if not, bring regular red wine. Red. Since, as lolo said, required 4 glasses.
  • Options
    If you want the real experience, challah, brisket slow-roasted in the oven, roasted vegetables, and maybe a green salad. Are you doing the parsley in salt water and the whole 9, or just the food? Also lots of wine. Set a glass near the main entrance of the house for the prophet to visit you; it's kind of a big deal.
  • Options
    FI is Jewish, I was raised Catholic but am not practicing.  I've been to several Seders though and PPs hit a lot of the highlights.  

I'm not sure if you have a deli near you but many delis in NYC will cater a Seder.  

Matzo ball soup for sure - it's easy to make I just use the Lipton mix!  There are other mixes on the market and it's dead easy to make.  I made it for FI once when he was sick and he said it was better than his mom's (of course, I'm half Italian so I added acini de pepe - tiny macaronis into it).

Chopped Liver and Matzo Crackers as a cocktail snack.  I actually liked this.

Brisket is very common although I went to an authentic Seder where lamb was served.  Seeing as your FMIL isn't actually an observant Jew, I'd say you have some flexibility with your menu.  Roast chicken is acceptable as well as roasted potatoes, carrots, other root vegetables.  

I'm not sure if she makes you go through the prayer book that details the Jewish people being driven out of Egypt but that's an interactive portion where we all read the story and dip parsley (bitter herb) into salted water (to signify tears I think).  I remember having the salt water, parsley, and horseradish.

They also served Gifelttefish (sp?) which FI loves but I do not enjoy.  I ate it to be polite but covered it in lots of horseradish.  

I have to run right now but I'll look some stuff up online and see if I can find you a guide.  As a non-Jewish person, I found the story of Passover really interesting. 
  • Options

If you want the real experience, challah, brisket slow-roasted in the oven, roasted vegetables, and maybe a green salad. Are you doing the parsley in salt water and the whole 9, or just the food? Also lots of wine. Set a glass near the main entrance of the house for the prophet to visit you; it's kind of a big deal.

The whole thing. She gave me a plate that has spots for everything and its labeled with all the things I need for that.
  • Options
    onefootinthebayou fuckin' A how could I forget matzo ball soup?!!! YAS! We always did that as a first course. And it's super easy to make. We used the mix too, to make the matzo balls, and then just chicken stock with some celery, onion, and carrots and a little bit of seasoning. So good!
  • Options

The whole thing. She gave me a plate that has spots for everything and its labeled with all the things I need for that.
    then DEFINITELY put the wine glass out for the prophet! His name is Elijah. It's like the equivalent of Santa coming to visit. Another fun thing, hide a matzah cracker wrapped in a cloth somewhere in the house. Everyone has to look for it and whoever finds it gets a prize. If only adults will be attending, the prize should be liquor ;)

Just some traditional stuff that used to make it extra fun when we were growing up.
  • Options
    I forgot about hiding the matzah. FMIL does it every year but only the kids look for it. I like hiding things, thank you for reminding me!
  • Options
    I go to my girlfriend's house for passover every year. We read the story of passover (everyone takes a turn) and do the symbolic foods plus wine. And you're not supposed to serve yourself wine, everyone's supposed to serve everyone else. They always have matzo ball soup and then A buffet set up. That's all I got.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

then DEFINITELY put the wine glass out for the prophet! His name is Elijah. It's like the equivalent of Santa coming to visit. Another fun thing, hide a matzah cracker wrapped in a cloth somewhere in the house. Everyone has to look for it and whoever finds it gets a prize. If only adults will be attending, the prize should be liquor ;)

Just some traditional stuff that used to make it extra fun when we were growing up.
    Ah the Afikomen!  Hiding the matzah!  I forgot that and I've won it the last two years :)  My favorite prize was wine glass charms.  I go HAM to find that cracker.  Kids or no kids, someone's gettin' knocked over if I can win a prize. 
  • Options
    I was raised Jewish-ish and we still celebrate Passover every year. In fact, I'm scheduled to make matzo balls this weekend. Wooohoo!

The PP's mentioned the standards but we usually have:

charoset, matzo, and herbs, per tradition
    gefilte fish (we make it rather than buy)
    matzo ball soup
    brisket
    kugel, usually noodle
    roasted asparagus
    sliced tomatoes with basil, olive oil, and balsamic

For dessert, we usually have lots of fruit, homemade chocolate-covered macaroons, those candied fruit slice thingies (Manischewitz), and, matzo crack (here).

And, since none of us are devout, we skip the kosher wine because yuck. Just make sure to have lots of wine!

We're huge fans of hiding afikhomen (for the kids), making the youngest person read the 4 questions, and long drunken choruses of Dayanu.

Passover is my favorite holiday.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I love Passover! A lot of the classics were mentioned above, I'll just add Tzimmes for dessert - a sweet dish with carrots and raisins. Oh and someone said challah - definitely no challah because chametz (no bread on Passover, so, sadly no challah).
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • Options
    mj8215 said:

I love Passover! A lot of the classics were mentioned above, I'll just add Tzimmes for dessert - a sweet dish with carrots and raisins. Oh and someone said challah - definitely no challah because chametz (no bread on Passover, so, sadly no challah).

mj8215 said:

SITB

mj8215 said:

Thank you for clarifying on the challah. My grandpa's side of the family is Jewish so I have been to enough bar/bat mitzvahs to know i love challah. I got excited. but remembered the bread thing...but was hoping I was wrong since I know basically nothing.

• Options
    mj8215 said:

Shit, you're right. I remember being sad the first time I hosted Passover because I really wanted challah, but it's definitely against the rules. Lol I suck at being a Jew 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards