Chit Chat
Options

Furniture Shopping

So ladies......I'm thinking about getting a new dining room, living room, and bed room set since I will be finished painting the house. I hate the experience of shopping for furniture especially after dealing with Value City furniture a few years backl. FI is thinking about checking about Lazeboy, Haverty's, and Ashley. Any furniture shopping stories to share and advice?

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

Re: Furniture Shopping

• Options

I had a horrible experience at Ashley where the salesman basically told me I couldn't afford their furniture (because it had been on sale the week before so I was not about to pay full price) and to please leave and go next door to Bob's bc I was wasting his time.  FI just stood there with a look on his face like he couldn't believe this was happening! lol

The sales people were nice at Raymour and Flanigan, but I actually couldn't afford their furniture! haha

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Shop for one room at a time unless you happen to find everything you want at one store.  If you try to shop for all three rooms in every store your head will explode.

Most stores do NOT offer discounts for multiple rooms being purchased at once and most furniture stores have pretty good sales around holiday weekends (Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day come to mind) so try to wait for a sale.

I since we bought our house last May we bought a sectional and had to invoke the 7-day guarantee (sectional was too big and we had to return one section) and a dining room table from Ashley.  Both experiences were pretty good and we had ZERO issues with the 7-day guarantee.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Ashley Furniture can be very hit or miss, and it's usually miss.

Do you mean La-Z-Boy? Their upholstered furniture is nice, but they are big enough that you don't have to shop directly with them, sometimes third party is the best way to get deals on La-Z-Boy.

Haverty's looks okay. Generally anything you find at a furniture store you should be able to find out the manufacturer and do more research on your own, which is always advisable. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    See I look younger like I could pass for a teenager (like a big chested 13 year old even though I am in my late 20s). Many times I got into furniture places to look at bedroom sets (that is the first room I am concerned at the moment) and I get brushed aside and ignored. While I was with FMIL she told the sales the salesman I am the one looking, so he should go talk to me and he didn't. Instead he hounded her about if she needed help, furniture, and what she was looking for. I speak but just get talked down.

The one time I went alone, a salesman asked if I was looking for a parent or an "adult". Even when I was wearing my medical coat and attire after I just got off. It makes me want to scream because it's so annoying and a little disrespectful. 

• Options
    I hated dealing with Ashley.  So much so we didn't buy anything from them.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Our only frustration in our experience with Ashley (two different area stores) was that trying to pay for our sectional took an hour because our sales person was clueless.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I hated dealing with Ashley.  So much so we didn't buy anything from them.

What happened?

• Options
    Our Ashley has that rotating salesman policy, so you can't AVOID someone helping you, even if you want to shoo them away!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:

Our Ashley has that rotating salesman policy, so you can't AVOID someone helping you, even if you want to shoo them away!

That is irksome. I go to Haverty's and Ashley on Saturday, they are nearby. 

• Options
    I live in a smaller city, and Ashley and JC Penny Home are not my style, so I go online for most stuff. You just have to read up on reviews (comfort is a big one!).

I recently bought 13 pieces of Ikea furniture, a sofa from wayfair and chairs from Target and Amazon. If you don't mind the assembly, my experience with Ikea was great. The Wayfair experience was a nightmare. They lost the first sofa they sent, but it took them two or three weeks to acknowledge this. Months later, I finally got what I ordered, and only at a 10% discount (but I absolutely love the sofa). I have no complaints with the Target and Amazon pieces.
  • Options
    Shopping for more than one room of furniture at a time is a BITCH. 0/10 do not recommend.

However - if you DO decide to try shopping for them all at once, find a store that has lots of options you like in ALL the rooms you're shopping for. My parents wound up having a huge debacle with three bedroom sets they purchased to go in the new house last June. It was a disaster and it took us ages to fix, because the pieces were not what they'd been described as at all. We wound up choosing three new bedroom suites, and as we'd only really loved the ones we'd chosen originally out of everything we saw the first time, it took us probably three weeks to regroup.

So yeah, no matter where you go - have options in-store before you choose to purchase with that store. Not worth the hassle of settling. Furniture is expensive.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards