Wedding Etiquette Forum

Transport for Guests?

What's the etiquette about whether transportation should be provided to and from the venue? We're getting married at a winery about 20-25 minutes away from the closest (and designated) lodging.  Transport doesn't fit in the budget, but when we've attended weddings where it is provided it's so nice to not have to worry about driving.  We'd gotten some questions about this and we'd have to cut in other places (not sure yet where).  

Re: Transport for Guests?

• What's the etiquette about whether transportation should be provided to and from the venue? We're getting married at a winery about 20-25 minutes away from the closest (and designated) lodging.  Transport doesn't fit in the budget, but when we've attended weddings where it is provided it's so nice to not have to worry about driving.  We'd gotten some questions about this and we'd have to cut in other places (not sure yet where).  

It's not required but definitely nice to have. I personally would cut down on flowers and decor and forego favors to make room in the budget for transport.

Formerly martha1818

• What's the etiquette about whether transportation should be provided to and from the venue? We're getting married at a winery about 20-25 minutes away from the closest (and designated) lodging.  Transport doesn't fit in the budget, but when we've attended weddings where it is provided it's so nice to not have to worry about driving.  We'd gotten some questions about this and we'd have to cut in other places (not sure yet where).  

Not required.  Nice to do if you can.

If we have driven our car to the venue, we make sure one of us stops at one drink earlier in the evening so we can get ourselves back to whereever we're sleeping.  If we knew others at the wedding, we might carpool to allow a larger percentage of guests to drink.  But we know how to make sure we have a Designated Driver and how not to be stupid.  If I saw someone trying to drive who had drank too much, I'd take their keys and put them in my car to drive back to the hotel, then find them a way to get their car back the next day.

It's not required but definitely nice to have. I personally would cut down on flowers and decor and forego favors to make room in the budget for transport.
    This. As a guest, I'd much rather have easy transportation than an extra big fancy centerpiece in front of my face, or any kind of wedding favor, etc. 
  • I'm one who thinks if it's in the budget it's a great idea.  Especially if there are a lot of OOT guests and lodging is far away. 

Not necessary, but so appreciated.    We provided transportation and would do it again.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Etiquette is that guests are expected to transport themselves to and from an event. You just need to make sure it's not more than 30 minutes away and that there's parking.

If you have it in your budget, a shuttle is a very nice gesture. Not necessary though.
    *********************************************************************************

• You are getting married at a winery, I think you need to provide transportation b/c people will probably be drinking. Guests should not be getting drunk & should be able to drink responsibly but not everyone can & will.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You are getting married at a winery, I think you need to provide transportation b/c people will probably be drinking. Guests should not be getting drunk & should be able to drink responsibly but not everyone can & will.

No, you don't need to provide transportation just because you're getting married at a winery.  I had my birthday party at a brewery, and I didn't provide transportation even though people were getting drunk.  Let adults be adults.  If you can provide transportation people will appreciate it, but if it's just not in the cards, no biggie.
  • I agree with PPs - not required, but really nice and strongly suggested, especially with the distance to the hotel. 

H and I went to a wedding a few months ago where the hotel was about a half hour away. Almost everyone used the shuttle. And almost everyone (that I knew) was local and used the hotel only because there was the shuttle and no one had to worry about driving. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

No, she doesn't need to.

At 99% of weddings I go to there is alcohol (whether it's at a winery, a brewery, a distillery or some other venue). If people drove there and need to drive home, they don't over-do it. If they do over-do it, they call a cab. It's called being an adult.
    *********************************************************************************

No, she doesn't need to.

At 99% of weddings I go to there is alcohol (whether it's at a winery, a brewery, a distillery or some other venue). If people drove there and need to drive home, they don't over-do it. If they do over-do it, they call a cab. It's called being an adult.
    People will overdo it though, that's the thing. For me, it's worth shelling out extra $$ for piece of mind knowing people will get home safely. Yeah they can call a cab, but not everyone always has cash. I thibk with that kind of setting & distance, she really should provide transportation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2015

You are getting married at a winery, I think you need to provide transportation b/c people will probably be drinking. Guests should not be getting drunk & should be able to drink responsibly but not everyone can & will.

No, she doesn't need to.

Agreed!  Fi and I always make arrangements prior to going to a wedding/event that has drinking.  He's not a big drinker and I'm a lightweight, so he's usually the driver; however, there have been a few times it's been the other way around.  Other times, we've carpooled with friends because we know one person doesn't drink (and will happily drive us home).   We once had a friend admit he drank too much and asked us to drive him home.  We were perfectly happy to do it.   

Adults need to be responsible for their own actions.  That can include getting a cab/asking for a ride. 

No, she doesn't need to.

People will overdo it though, that's the thing. For me, it's worth shelling out extra $$ for piece of mind knowing people will get home safely. Yeah they can call a cab, but not everyone always has cash. I thibk with that kind of setting & distance, she really should provide transportation.
    Nowadays you don't even need cash to call a cab.  That's what Uber is all about in fact, no cash changes hands.
  • adk19 said:

You are getting married at a winery, I think you need to provide transportation b/c people will probably be drinking. Guests should not be getting drunk & should be able to drink responsibly but not everyone can & will.

No, she doesn't need to.

Nowadays you don't even need cash to call a cab.  That's what Uber is all about in fact, no cash changes hands.
    ummm... at least in my experience wineries tend to be out in the country where things like cabs and Uber are few and far between.

A lot of people like the throw around "just call a cab".    I live in a town without a cab.   None, zero.     My home town in PA doesn't have cabs either.   They just do not exist. 

Not that I think transportation is required, but "just call a cab" is NOT an option for a lot of people who live in suburbs or rural settings.      I wish people would stop using that line as an option for every one.   Might work in your city, but not mine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • adk19 said:

No, she doesn't need to.

Uber doesn't service my area as well as many other areas in America. Agree w/ PP - cabs arent always a convenient option, or even an option at all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

No, she doesn't need to.

People can and will overdo it at any wedding with alcohol. A winery doesn't change that. Does every couple who has a wedding with alcohol need to provide transportation, no? I'm not seeing what a winery has to do with anything. 

No, she doesn't need to.

People can and will overdo it at any wedding with alcohol. A winery doesn't change that. Does every couple who has a wedding with alcohol need to provide transportation, no? I'm not seeing what a winery has to do with anything. 
    No one has to provide transportation but it is a courteous thing to do. You also dont have to be nasty :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

No, she doesn't need to.

No one has to provide transportation but it is a courteous thing to do. You also dont have to be nasty :)

How the hell was my post nasty?

No, she doesn't need to.

How the hell was my post nasty?

Duh, because you disagreed with her!

Formerly martha1818

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards