Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

vegetarian options

We have quite  a few vegetarians which dish would you prefer?

Portobello Mushroom Tower

grilled portobello mushroom cap filed with a sweet potato puree topped
with crispy Tobago onion strings,  with sauteed broccolini florets and
roasted red pepper with a wild mushroom sauce

Phyllo Bundle

a melange of sauteed vegetables wrapped in a phyllo bundle with asparagus spears and red pepper coulis

Giant Spring Roll

with wok fired Napa cabbage, tofu, firecracker peppers and snow pea shoots with a chile-lime vinaigrette

Pasta Roulade

pasta pinwheel stuffed with a blend of ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses in a tomato fondue with roasted vegetables

Asparagus and Sundried Tomato Risotto

with shaved pecorino cheese under crispy asparagus strings

Saffron Scented Couscous

with a tagine of roasted vegetables in a spicy harissa broth

Sweet Potato Agnolotti

with sage cream and brown butter

Re: vegetarian options

• Phyllo Bundle

a melange of sauteed vegetables wrapped in a phyllo bundle with asparagus spears and red pepper coulis

This would have to be my favorite.  Honestly all of them sound good.  I don't think there is a wrong answer here.     Although there are a lot of people who hate mushrooms.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yeah all of these sound absolutely fantastic. I love meat but I'd eat any of these.

If I had to choose, I think I'd go with the pasta roulade. It sounds the most substantial. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Those all sound amazing, it's hard to choose! I'd say #2, however if you have any gluten free vegetarians the first one might be your best bet. I think that would be my second choice as well.

(Even though the crispy onion rings aren't gluten free, but it seemed like the most gluten free of the bunch).

Formerly martha1818

• I'd go with the mushroom tower. They all sound delicious though!
  • They all sound tasty! My personal choice would be either the phyllo bundle or the risotto - I know a number of vegetarians who don't like mushrooms very much, so I would avoid that one if it were for my own guest list.

But really, this all sounds amazingly delicious.
  • Holy shit all of that sounds amazing. 
  • As a vegetarian, they all sound delicious but these three are my favorite-

Pasta Roulade

pasta pinwheel stuffed with a blend of ricotta, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses in a tomato fondue with roasted vegetables

Asparagus and Sundried Tomato Risotto

with shaved pecorino cheese under crispy asparagus strings

Saffron Scented Couscous

with a tagine of roasted vegetables in a spicy harissa broth

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Do you have anyone else with dietary restrictions, such as dairy-free or gluten-free?  Because unless your other entrees fit the bill, I would try to pick the one that could serve double duty-if need be.  A couple of them appear to be dairy-free from the description (or potentially dairy-free with some clarification).  None of them are obviously gluten-free from the description, though the risotto might be depending on whether "crispy asparagus" means they coated them in flour and fried them to make them crispy - so with minor modification that could be.  And the mushroom stack could maybe be modified because chances are both the onion strings and the wild mushroom sauce would have flour.

Personally, I would prefer the sweet potato agnolotti because I'm a sucker for sage and brown butter sauce, but I'm going to wager the phyllo bundles, roulade, or risotto will be general crowd-pleasers without worry.  I would probably avoid anything spicy or with chile. 

• Are you close enough to any of your vegetarian guest to send them an email to poll them?

• Erikan73 said:

Are you close enough to any of your vegetarian guest to send them an email to poll them?

While sounds good on paper it can really open up a can of worms.  You could end up with everyone pick a different dish and you are in the same spot you are in now.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

Erikan73 said:

Are you close enough to any of your vegetarian guest to send them an email to poll them?

While sounds good on paper it can really open up a can of worms.  You could end up with everyone pick a different dish and you are in the same spot you are in now.
    Exactly.  As someone who recently had to reschedule something for a group of 70, I learned the hard way that sometimes democracy is for suckers.  Sometimes you just have to pick something and hope for the best because you won't be able to accommodate everyone all the time.  Getting some general feedback (like polling uninvolved people here to find out that maybe mushrooms aren't the way to go or that it's better to avoid spicy dishes for a crowd) is ok, but polling the actual group is asking for a headache. 
  • The mushroom tower sounds best to me. The only one I wouldn't go for is the giant spring roll, it's just hard to believe it's going to be substantial enough to be an entree. 

• As an avid meat eater, I'd be happy to eat any of those!

But I especially love anything wrapped in phyllo!
  • Risotto would definitely be my first choice! I agree with PPs that lots of people don't like mushrooms (even vegetarians). I also agree that it would be pretty hard to choose a bad one :)
  • jacques27 said:

Do you have anyone else with dietary restrictions, such as dairy-free or gluten-free?  Because unless your other entrees fit the bill, I would try to pick the one that could serve double duty-if need be.  A couple of them appear to be dairy-free from the description (or potentially dairy-free with some clarification).  None of them are obviously gluten-free from the description, though the risotto might be depending on whether "crispy asparagus" means they coated them in flour and fried them to make them crispy - so with minor modification that could be.  And the mushroom stack could maybe be modified because chances are both the onion strings and the wild mushroom sauce would have flour.

Personally, I would prefer the sweet potato agnolotti because I'm a sucker for sage and brown butter sauce, but I'm going to wager the phyllo bundles, roulade, or risotto will be general crowd-pleasers without worry.  I would probably avoid anything spicy or with chile. 

No its just meat they wont eat.
  • Casadena said:

Risotto would definitely be my first choice! I agree with PPs that lots of people don't like mushrooms (even vegetarians). I also agree that it would be pretty hard to choose a bad one :)

I'm not going to serve anything with mushrooms in it because i hate them and i wouldn't want to serve something i wouldn't eat myself.
  • edited June 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards