Chit Chat
Options

What are you reading right now?

Re: What are you reading right now?

• Options
    Also have you read other Liane Moriarty books? I also really like the Husband's Secret and What Alice Forgot. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    littlepep said:

Also have you read other Liane Moriarty books? I also really like the Husband's Secret and What Alice Forgot. 

I read both! They were good. 
  • Options
    I am still reading "What Alice Forgot" because I had to read another book in its place, so I'm picking it back up tonight. 

The other book though, which was amazing, is the memoir by Sonia Sotomayor "My Beloved Life." I highly recommend it!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

Okay, I'm listening to books on my commute so my list isn't long of what I'm reading. Just finished Divergent and started on Insurgent. Also have Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy on my list.

For books to listen to/read:

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer - about a dangerous treck up Mt. Everest

A Woman Soldier's Own Story - Xie Binying - autobiography about a woman who fights to free herself from the strains of Chinese society - GIRL POWER! (yeah, I know, I'm cheesy)

Books by Philippa Gregory - her books actually are what contributed to part of my interest in the Boleyn family when I was young so I did a lot more research on them. I know her works are fiction but she's a good author.

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles (more girl power :-P )

Also saving this post because everyone has awesome recommendations for books and I need more reading material :-)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    littlepep said:

I loved the Husband's Secret. For some reason I feel like it is taking me forever to get through What Alice Forgot. I like it, but I can't really get into it as much for some reason.I'm aiming to finish it this week, though.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options

Have you read Still Alice? It was a great.

The Good Girl is next up for me.

I am another person who hated Goldfinch but forced myself to finish it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ugh hated Goldfinch. I'm reading Coma by Robin Cook and The Lady in the Tower about Anne Boleyn.

sophhabobopha how is The Lady in the Tower?

I'm currently reading The Other Boleyn Girl, after reading The Constant Princess. Working through the Tudor Court series.
  • Options
    My favorite book I read last year was All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr!

I also loved Night Film by Marisha Pessl...it has the same kind of vibe at Gillian Flynn books.

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson and Vicious by VE Schwab are also some of my favorites.
  • Options
    i finished these ones by Jojo Moyes: Me Before You and Ship of Brides. Loved them both took me awhile to get into but loved them both....

I am in the process of reading her book The girl you left behind

Next on my list are Kathy Reichs books (love the show Bones so its fitting), Jeffrey Archers latest book in the Clifton Chronicles.
  • Options
    mrsk616 said:

i finished these ones by Jojo Moyes: Me Before You and Ship of Brides. Loved them both took me awhile to get into but loved them both....

I am in the process of reading her book The girl you left behind

Next on my list are Kathy Reichs books (love the show Bones so its fitting), Jeffrey Archers latest book in the Clifton Chronicles.
    I loved Me Before You, but damn did I cry my eyes out. The Girl You Left Behind was really good too. 
  • Options
    @mrsk616 I loved Me Before You!
  • Options
    @cupcait927 and @climbingwife i cried. and its becoming a movie but i am afraid id cry during that too. 

need ideas for books try goodreads.com it gives you recommendations for books you have read or genre's. 
  • Options

@climbingwife Based on what you've read recently I think you'd like:

Station Eleven

Books by Ann Patchett, especially Patron Saint of Liars and Bel Canto

Also recommend:

Dirty Love (short stories) by Andre Dubus III

The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin

and anything Susan Minot

I'm finishing my second Wally Lamb book, I Know This Much Is True, which I love but it's not for everyone.  It goes in depth on family history and mental illness, similar themes to She's Come Undone, which I enjoyed even more.

• Options

@climbingwife Based on what you've read recently I think you'd like:

Station Eleven

Books by Ann Patchett, especially Patron Saint of Liars and Bel Canto

Also recommend:

Dirty Love (short stories) by Andre Dubus III

The Summer Guest by Justin Cronin

and anything Susan Minot

I'm finishing my second Wally Lamb book, I Know This Much Is True, which I love but it's not for everyone.  It goes in depth on family history and mental illness, similar themes to She's Come Undone, which I enjoyed even more.

Thank you! 
  • Options
    I'm still on the third chapter of The Brothers Cabal because video games.

And drawing.

But my nerdy heart was happy to see other Knotties reading Name of the Wind and Kushiel's Dart!

Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh goody. I love book threads!

Just finished: Girl on the Train - fast read, entertaining plot but writing was mediocre

Next up: Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant. I love everything else of his I've read (Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go, When We Were Orphans), which makes me a bit scared because I have very high expectations.

Best book I've read in the past year: All the Light We Cannot See. Wow, amazing. I finished it months ago and it still haunts me.

Most over-hyped book of the past year: The Goldfinch. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who could barely make it through this book. FI loved it and I was like "meh, when's it gonna end". The protagonist annoyed me sort of like that bratty kid in Catcher in the Rye.
  • Options

Okay, I'm listening to books on my commute so my list isn't long of what I'm reading. Just finished Divergent and started on Insurgent. Also have Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy on my list.

For books to listen to/read:

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer - about a dangerous treck up Mt. Everest

A Woman Soldier's Own Story - Xie Binying - autobiography about a woman who fights to free herself from the strains of Chinese society - GIRL POWER! (yeah, I know, I'm cheesy)

Books by Philippa Gregory - her books actually are what contributed to part of my interest in the Boleyn family when I was young so I did a lot more research on them. I know her works are fiction but she's a good author.

I, Elizabeth - Rosalind Miles (more girl power :-P )

Also saving this post because everyone has awesome recommendations for books and I need more reading material :-)

Into Thin Air is one of my favorite books. I've read it many times and it never not makes me sad. It's just written so well that I can't help but keep rereading it.

• Options
    I'm reading Mr. Churchill's Secretary. I'm only a couple chapters in, but I'm enjoying it so far. The main character is a young woman living in WWII era London. She's a math genius, but can't get a higher up position in the intelligence department because she's a woman. She's had several spars with men in higher positions who aren't really qualified and are only there because they are men. It's been great watching her take them down a few pegs. I don't know how the main plot will go yet, but I think I'm hooked.
  • Options
    Whoever is reading the Alison Weir stuff, yes! Her non-fiction reads like fiction in the best way and I love it. It's just heavy enough to make me feel like I'm not rotting my brain but it's totally compelling. I love the Phillipa Gregory-type Tudor fiction too but Weir is just as good without the associated trashy-novel guilt, haha.

I fell down a Neil Gaiman hole this month and read Neverwhere and Smoke & Mirrors (and listened to Stardust) but now I'm re-reading Notes From A Small Island by Bill Bryson and thoroughly enjoying it too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kns1988kns1988 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    I just finished This is Not Chick Lit. It was a collection of short stories by women writers, and they were some of the best short stories I've ever read. 

The Night Circus was one that hit the top seller list last year; it was really great and stuck with me. I wanted another circus story after that so I read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. It was excellent and creepy.

I started reading Life of Pi last week, but I can't really get into it. I don't know if it's overrated or if I just don't care for it because I'm not a big animal person. I might drop it for something else.
  • Options

Oh goody. I love book threads!

Just finished: Girl on the Train - fast read, entertaining plot but writing was mediocre

Next up: Kazuo Ishiguro's The Buried Giant. I love everything else of his I've read (Remains of the Day, Never Let Me Go, When We Were Orphans), which makes me a bit scared because I have very high expectations.

Best book I've read in the past year: All the Light We Cannot See. Wow, amazing. I finished it months ago and it still haunts me.

Most over-hyped book of the past year: The Goldfinch. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who could barely make it through this book. FI loved it and I was like "meh, when's it gonna end". The protagonist annoyed me sort of like that bratty kid in Catcher in the Rye.

Bleh. I couldn't stand Catcher in the Rye. Whine fest. No thanks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kns1988 said:

I just finished This is Not Chick Lit. It was a collection of short stories by women writers, and they were some of the best short stories I've ever read. 

The Night Circus was one that hit the top seller list last year; it was really great and stuck with me. I wanted another circus story after that so I read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. It was excellent and creepy.

I started reading Life of Pi last week, but I can't really get into it. I don't know if it's overrated or if I just don't care for it because I'm not a big animal person. I might drop it for something else.
    Love Ray Bradbury! I went on a reading spree after he died (like a couple years ago?). I'm kind of a classic sci-fi novel junkie. H.G. Wells, Aldous Huxley, Jules Verne, etc.
  • Options
    I second the Bel Canto rec. one of my absolute favorites (but have a tissue in hand). Ann Patchett's newest State of Wonder is also good. No tissue needed. It's a retelling of Heart of Darkness (but don't let that scare you off. I hated Heart of Darkness).
  • Options
    I just finished Still Alice- very good!
  • Options

@climbingwife How was Orphan Train? It is sitting on my bookshelf right now and I am thinking it will be the next book I read.

Currently I am reading Stealing Home. It is a really easy read. Kind of mindless, really, but good.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ....A cereal box. Don't Judge. I started reading The Book Thief. It was interesting, at first, but then I just got busy. I hate how I am not loyal to books.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

@climbingwife How was Orphan Train? It is sitting on my bookshelf right now and I am thinking it will be the next book I read.

Currently I am reading Stealing Home. It is a really easy read. Kind of mindless, really, but good.

Orphan Train was SO GOOD. Knowing that is was based on a true story was incredibly moving. I really loved it. 
  • Options
    I love these threads so I can get ideas for my next book(s), so thank you. 

I just finished reading the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo. Loooved it.... 

Now I'm starting Divergent. DH and I picked up the movie randomly at Redbox recently and liked it so much we saw Insurgent the first weekend out in theatres. Now I'm going to read the trilogy. 

My Kindle won't stop recommending Liane Moriarty so I guess I'll have to check those out if y'all say they're good too!  

• Options
    I'm reading Clash of Kings (Song of Ice and Fire) right now and loving it! What I'm doing is alternating between SoIAF and Discworld. SO GOOD.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I love these threads so I can get ideas for my next book(s), so thank you. 

I just finished reading the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo. Loooved it.... 

Now I'm starting Divergent. DH and I picked up the movie randomly at Redbox recently and liked it so much we saw Insurgent the first weekend out in theatres. Now I'm going to read the trilogy. 

My Kindle won't stop recommending Liane Moriarty so I guess I'll have to check those out if y'all say they're good too!  
    I loved Divergent and Insurgent. I heard the third book is awful though so I still haven't read that one. I kind of want to but then again, it's pretty long and I don't want to waste my time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards