Chit Chat
Options

Well this is awkward. (WWTKD?)

I was trying to do something nice and I got myself into a really awkward situation.

A lady posted on my neighborhood's message board asking if anyone had leads on marketing/advertising jobs, with an unfortunate story about how she's been out of work for a while. I really felt for her. From the post it sounded like she was articulate and has good experience, so I offered to forward her resume to HR for open positions at my company. She sent me an email about how she's so grateful, and she doesn't know what she's doing wrong or why she hasn't been able to find a job.

She attached not one but three different resumes. Each of them is a mess in layout, grammar and content. Her website isn't much better. This lady markets herself as a freelance copywriter, so this is concerning, and I'm almost embarrassed to send this to HR.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I offer some edits to her resume, and offer to submit it? I lead a resume writing class at a local homeless shelter, so I'm totally comfortable with the editing part, but I feel awkward about telling her it needs to be overhauled. I don't want to back out now that I've offered to send it, but I don't know what's the best way to handle this situation. What would you ladies do?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Well this is awkward. (WWTKD?)

• Options
    What April said.  I would play a little dumb about the multiple versions: "Which of these do you want to use?" and either suggest she seek out a professional resume editor or volunteer to help her myself.

Either way though.... I would find a way to wiggle out of submitting it to HR.  Even if she fixes the resume, I wouldn't want to recommend somebody with such a lack of attention to detail.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options

What if you suggested that as her (numerous) resume's stand, she wouldn't be a good fit for the company, and then suggest she see a pro to help her pick a single resume to draft to better meet current professional specifications?

This is what I would do. No way would I pass along a resume for someone I didn't know. 
  • Options
    I've (drunkenly) gotten myself into a similar situation. I didn't know her at all (was a friend of a friend) and her resume was garbage. I didn't send it along and didn't reach back out to her because I wasn't comfortable helping at that point. Now all I offer job seekers is "our openings are posted at website.com."

I would go with pink's suggestion.

• Options
    I agree re: not forwarding as it is.  I think the best way to help her - if you are willing to do so, you certainly don't have to - is to tell her you have some suggestions for her resume, based on what you know your company would like to see in a resume (that way it's not a "you sent me a piece of crap," so much as a "these are the things it would be helpful for you to highlight if you want to work here.")  I'd start that process by asking (or suggesting) which version of the resume to start with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards