Attire & Accessories Forum

Second thoughts!!

I'm getting married in July (destination wedding just the two of us) and I have been ridiculously indecisive about my dress! I have literally bought and sold 3 dresses before settling on one. I'm trying to stay under $300 so have been looking at prom/formal dresses because the "budget dresses" at bridal shops look just that... budget. We are older (me 30's him 40's) and don't feel the need for a super traditional attire esp since there's no wedding party or guests. Anyhow... this is the one that I currently have that I feel is "the one" but now I'm wondering if I won't look enough like a bride. And my other hangup is, what the heck will he wear that will go good with this dress? He is very much a blue jeans kind of guy so initially we thought he would wear dark jeans and a sport coat but I've never been good with fashion so I really want all of your honest opinions! Even though it's not a huge traditional wedding, we did splurge and hire a reeeeaaally nice photographer so I don't want to have any "what was I thinking" moments when we get the photos back!

So. Here it is. Be honest!!

Re: Second thoughts!!

• This one is also available at the same store, same price... more modest but would I look like a mother of the bride?? BTW I am about the same size as the models. 

• You will look like a bride in whatever you wear because you will be a bride.  

As for your dress I think it is very pretty.  I prefer the first one you posted over the second.  I just like the neckline better.

As for your FI, he should really match the level of formality of your wedding.  He should be able to wear what he wants and is comfortable in, but IMO I think he would look extremely out of place in a pair of jeans and sports jacket when you are in a formal gown.  A nice black suit, white shirt, and a fun tie (this is where he could show his personality) would be perfect for your wedding.  And really, every guy should have a black suit on hand to wear for weddings and funerals.

• jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015
    There will only be two of you - so who is not going to know you're the bride?  You?  Your fiance?  The officiant not realizing the people standing in front of him or her are the ones getting married?  And why aren't you similarly concerned he won't look like a "groom" wearing jeans and a sport coat?

People, all three of you, will know who is the bride and groom.  You'll be dressed up, happy, probably sporting new rings, maybe holding flowers - people will figure it out no matter what dress you wear.  Pick a nice dress that fits your body and you feel comfortable in and will feel happy in.  That will radiate "bride" in any pictures more than a poofy white dress.  Your groom should be matching formality though - so a black or navy suit if you go with one of the two dresses about.  If you go with something shorter or more casual, then dress pants and a button down would probably be fine.  And the guys in my family are blue jeans kind of guys and they can still manage to bust out a pair of dress pants one to two days a year if the occasion calls for it.
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks so much for the input. I have seen photos of grooms wearing blue jeans (western/country style weddings... i.e. Blake and Miranda's) and I do love the look. But I agree a full suit would match my dress better. What style of dress WOULD go good with the groom wearing blue jeans? Our little ceremony and photos will be all outdoors, by the way. 

• If your FI is going to wear jeans, why not just get a a cute sundress and call it a day? A casual day dress will look fine in photos with a guy in jeans, if that's the concern. Personally, I'd feel really uncomfortable in a formal gown next to a guy in casual clothes. But if you don't feel that way and want to wear a fancy dress, do what you want to do as it's certainly not going to affect anyone else. If you're not having guests, I'm not sure how it would matter as no one's going to be seeing you. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much for the input. I have seen photos of grooms wearing blue jeans (western/country style weddings... i.e. Blake and Miranda's) and I do love the look. But I agree a full suit would match my dress better. What style of dress WOULD go good with the groom wearing blue jeans? Our little ceremony and photos will be all outdoors, by the way. 

I think Miranda's dress worked well with Blake's jeans and vest look.  Her dress, to me, seems like a long sun dress and looks like it was a cotton type of fabric.  But when you start throwing in fancy looking lace and some sparkle/shimmer then you are getting a bit dressy for blue jeans.

For jeans to work then the bride really needs to be in something just as casual such as a pretty cotton sun dress.

• Idk, especially since it's just the two of you, I'd wear whatever you're both most comfortable in.  I LOVE the dress in your OP, and although it's not my style, if your FI was in dark jeans, white shirt, and a neutral sport coat/blazer you'll both look comfortable and happy.  
  • THanks all the input so far is much appreciated. I think I'll have to take him shopping and see what a full suit/tux would look like. He has never owned or wore one and I can't even picture him in one!

And yes we'll be the only ones there BUT everyone will see the photos, and most importantly I'll be looking at these photos the rest of my life and would like to avoid any embarrassment ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards