Not Engaged Yet
Options

Hobbies???

Long time no see! Hope everyone is doing well :-)

I was hoping that some of you ladies could give me a bit of advice. I am currently looking for a new hobby... or at least ideas on how to survive being a stay-at-home... well... person! I graduated college in December and then moved to Japan with FI in January. I went from working 30+ hours a week plus school to doing nothing. I have caught up on almost all of the TV shows I wanted (Yay Netflix) and have cleaned up our entire apartment. I have been studying Japanese, but there is only so much you can do in one day. I have no car, since FI takes it to work almost everyday and I am slowly working out the bus system still.

But... what to do with my time? I can do laundry, maybe play a video game if I am really bored, and study Japanese. I will go downtown, but it is not very exciting and since we are watching out budget, I cannot take the bus every day so I try to keep it down to once or twice a week. My weeks are starting to stretch out to be a bit long... I really am at a loss at this point and I know I need a new hobby! Reading is almost beginning to make me nauseous. I've read all of the books that I bought before coming to Japan.

So... not crazy yet, but it may happen eventually. Suggestions anyone?

Re: Hobbies???

• Options
    I, personally, love to cook so I would be content doing that for part of the day. Are there groups you can meet up with in the area and walk or take the bus to? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • Options

I love cooking, baking, and cross stitch. Sewing is also fun, but it takes too much concentration. All of my other hobbies can be done while watching TV. Hope this helps!

• Options
    @Loves2Dream I love to cook too! I have learned to make several Japanese meals and continue to experiment with them to adjust to mine and FI tastes. I recently learned to make sweet rolled omelet, which turns out great 90% of the time! But... I would love to have a burger from Culvers!

As far as groups, not a lot. I think there is an event once or twice a month sponsored by some Japanese city workers who speak English, but it is mostly just site seeing, which I try to reserve for doing with my FI. There are very few foreigners in town, and most of them work as ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) at schools so they work during the day. English speaking is also very limited in this city so that makes it hard to try and get together with most of the Japanese people around here because my Japanese is still very, very, VERY basic :-)

• Options
    Work out
    Crochet
    Read - join an online book club?
    Explore what is within walking distance - free gardens, museums, etc
    Volunteer to tutor english
    Get a hulu subscription
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    I need to get back into it - but when I was in better shape I loved cycling.

You could always learn an instrument, I know there are games now on 'how to play guitar'.

Scrapbooking/card making can be fun if you like crafts.

Is there anywhere close that you could volunteer at (like maybe volunteer to be a dog walker at a shelter)?

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Loves2Dream Also, no oven! *gasp* I wanted to cry when I found out. I want to bake cookies and cakes! But very few people have ovens here and it is too expensive to consider buying for the time we will be here. My friends are confused when you ask them about ovens, they say "But, bakery cooks cake. Why you oven?" I think I will attempt to make a cake in the rice cooker... I've seen rumors on the internet of this magic.
  • Options
    OMG my favorite hobby ever is knitting! It's inexpensive, you can learn the different stitches on youtube, and you can get free patterns and stuff on websites like ravelry.com. It's time consuming which I think is what you're looking for, requires concentration, and there's nothing like finishing a project for yourself or to gift to someone else!
  • Options
    @Dignity100 I thought about the volunteering for a dog shelter, but that doesn't seem to be a thing here in Japan. Or at least, my FI supervisor had never heard of it before. I have been wanting to try and learn the piano, I wonder if I could pick up one at one of the recycle shops here?

@cu97tiger no volunteering for me. They want me to speak more Japanese first. More walking, so maybe I should try to venture out a bit farther before the weather gets bad? Crocheting is a good idea, I actually promised one of the ALTs here that I would teacher her how. I wonder if any of them would want to make it a thing that we could do in the evenings a few times a month.
  • Options
    I knit, and my latest obsession has been over washi tape coasters. There are tons of tutorials and ideas online, but the basic supplies you need are bathroom tile, washi tape, and Mod Podge.
  • Options
    @KeptinStitches I would love to try something like that! But you cannot get Mod Podge around here, I was looking for it when I wanted to put fabric over the light switches to cover up the discoloration. I wonder if my sister could sneak some through customs when she comes to visit :-)
  • Options

I second (or third) the suggestion of cooking or baking! I love researching new recipes to try out. Maybe you could take up running or just some sort of work-out routine. I do the Jillian Michaels kickboxing videos and I really enjoy them.

I really enjoy planning video games - Mass Effect, Bioshock, Portal, Left4Dead, Half-Life, State of Decay, etc. But I wouldn't suggest spending too much time playing video games!

How long are you going to be in Japan for?

• Options
    Oh, wow! I was wondering when I was commenting what ammenities you might have because I have heard the same thing. Bummer, BUT you could get a skillet and make skillet cookies and cakes! My BF's oven "didn't" work for the first like 2 years or so we dated. I finally urged him to have them look at it since that is what he paid rent for and it turns out, it was never broken, he just didn't know how to use it correctly.....Soooooo, I learned quickly how to do everything stove top!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • Options
    @psychbabe314, any kind of sealant would work. Mod Podge is just the most common. What you're doing is gluing the tape in place permanently, more or less, and protecting it from condensation.
  • Options
    psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    @bethsmiles - a year and a half for me (2 for FI), two and a half tops (3 for FI)

I will look up Jillian Michaels kickboxing, that sounds like fun!
  • Options
    @psychbabe314 - I highly suggest that you get a crocheting group together that can meet during the day while your FI is at work. Otherwise, it doesn't really help you fill your time, right?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    @Loves2dream skillet cookies, that could be fun... and FMIL sent FI a ton of peanut butter for his birthday! Also, your BF sounds very similar to my FI. I think they would get along!

@KeptInStitches I will keep looking, but when we asked around and described it, the associates at the store were very confused. I found some two-part epoxy to seal the counter-top I refinished, do you think that would work?
  • Options

@bethsmiles - a year and a half for me (2 for FI), two and a half tops (3 for FI)

I will look up Jillian Michaels kickboxing, that sounds like fun!

Oh wow, that's a long time! I know I would have a hard time adjusting, it's hard when you don't speak the language I'm sure! 

• Options
    @cu97tiger true, but I don't know anyone who doesn't work during the day that speaks enough English to have a decent conversation with.
  • Options
    @bethsmiles it is a long time, but I am loving Japan! I could not have imagined more friendly people here and I am slowly learning Japanese, I have at least memorized enough phrases that I can now go out to eat by myself (ask for a menu, if they speak english, if they have an english menu, and then point to what I want and say "ichi" for one. They usually get the gist) The downside is, I still can't read Japanese so I am limited to ordering only what is in a picture or something that I know that they serve because I have had it before.
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Are there any local American ex-pat groups? I'm sure there must be other people around in your situation!

Crocheting is fun and easy to learn and there are tons of great tutorials on YouTube.

Painting!

• Options
    @psychbabe314, you could always give it a try and see if it worked.
  • Options

@bethsmiles it is a long time, but I am loving Japan! I could not have imagined more friendly people here and I am slowly learning Japanese, I have at least memorized enough phrases that I can now go out to eat by myself (ask for a menu, if they speak english, if they have an english menu, and then point to what I want and say "ichi" for one. They usually get the gist) The downside is, I still can't read Japanese so I am limited to ordering only what is in a picture or something that I know that they serve because I have had it before.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! It sounds like quite the adventure!

• Options
    psychbabe314psychbabe314 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    @labro FI recommended painting, so maybe I will steal some of his supplies and then burn it immediately (terrible painter/drawer) Could be fun :-). I have seen some foreigners around that I do not know, but there is this one strange thing in Japan that people don't tell you about that a friend of my FI has labeled as "Don't ruin my special Japan" For some reason, while some foreigners are very friendly, if they are here for pleasure they typically do not want you around or to exchange numbers or anything. They may even avoid eye contact, duct there head, and move out as soon as they spot you. It is so strange... maybe I am a scary person?

Also, to elaborate more on how few foreigners there are here. Kids run up to you in the grocery store to see what the "Gaijin (Foreigner)" is buying. Sometimes they will follow the waitress around after you have ordered to see what you ordered. Old women move to the other side of the road or move away a few seats. The stares are crazy. I have blonde hair and the other day the mailman delivered a package, and then as he was walking away down the stairs, he kept turning to look at me, then he slipped and fell down the last couple on his ass. They do not see many foreigners here.

Edit: more info
  • Options
    @KeptInStitches maybe I will give it a shot, I'll let you know if it works
  • Options
    I bought myself a pasta making machine and I am learning to make my own pasta. I have graduated from plain spaghetti to green fettuccine and this weekend I am trying my hand at ravioli. 

I do love baking as well. All sorts of cakes and cupcakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards