Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Beverage question.

Okay - so. Our options for bars are either consumption, cash, or no. No PP open bar option.

Clearly the answer is the cash bar, no worrying about this stupid "liquor budget" bullshit. *ducks thrown lettuce* (April Fools, please don't kick me out of the TK clubhouse)

We're going to have the bar tab brought to us at the end of the night. As of right now, we have 28 of-age adults, including ourselves. Of those adults:
- 2 are my grandmothers, who have never had anything in their whole lives ever and will not make an exception for my wedding
- 2 are the photog and his GF; I'm still debating over sending an invite to the GF (opinions welcome here too, reason I'm considering it is that photog is a very talented friend who has done all our photography for a few years now)
- 2 are the minister and his wife, who may or may not decline and if they accept probably will not drink
- 1 is my brother who does not drink
- 1 is my mom who might drink a light beer but probably won't
- 1 is my dad who might have a glass of wine but probably only if it's a good one

Taking all of those people out, I have 19 people over the age of 21 and possibly likely to drink on my list, including FI and myself, for a dinner-only reception immediately following a church ceremony. I suspect the actual number on that will be lower, as there are people who will have to drive - reception is 20 minutes away from the ceremony. Hotels will be in the same vicinity as the reception, but people will still have to drive some distance.

Soft drinks / tea / water are in the PP price for dinner, so they're not a part of my factoring here.

Am I underestimating severely if I guess 2 drinks per likely drinker? Ceremony at 5, dinner to start (assuming a 30-minute ceremony and 30 minutes to make the 20-minute drive) probably at 6?
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Beverage question.

• Probably the safest estimate would be to figure 1 drink per hour of the reception for every of-age guest (even the ones you're sure don't drink, just in case). Sounds like your crowd won't meet that, but you might as well prepare yourself for the highest probable cost
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

You say soft drinks, tea, and water, are included, but what about juice?  In my experience, people who don't drink will request juice that is at the bar for mixers.  Or they'll start the night drinking and switch to juice.  Granted, it may not be a LOT of people who do this, but I've bartended enough events to know it's a pretty regular thing (particularly pineapple and cranberry juice).

Stick with the one drink per hour rule (also remember to include tip in your budget if it's not built into your contract).  It's better to come in under budget and be able to upgrade something on your honeymoon or just go out for a nice dinner later than it is to end up surprised at the end of the night because you guessed wrong. 

• is the reception just dinner, so no dancing/DJ/"party" and all of that? I think I'd maybe have 2 drinks with dinner but probably nothing more.  If there was a party after dinner then it would be a lot higher but that doesn't sound like what you are doing.

I'd also want to know how do people know there are drinks.  Like will there be a bartender an bar area set up or will it be the waiter getting the drinks?

• If I'm going to be someplace for  awhile, I might have 1 drink even if I'm driving. 

Now, my one drink is usually a glass of wine and not a long island, but still.

I think 1 drink per hour is your best budgeting plan, cause then you'll probably be under at the end.

Anniversary
  • It sounds like you have a pretty light-drinking crowd. People do get more festive for weddings, but you're only doing dinner, not dancing or party time. I think average of 2 per person is probably likely. But I would budget for 3 per person and don't forget tip!

You'll likely have money left over. If so, spend it on the honeymoon!
    *********************************************************************************

• edited April 2015

You say soft drinks, tea, and water, are included, but what about juice?  In my experience, people who don't drink will request juice that is at the bar for mixers.  Or they'll start the night drinking and switch to juice.  Granted, it may not be a LOT of people who do this, but I've bartended enough events to know it's a pretty regular thing (particularly pineapple and cranberry juice).

Stick with the one drink per hour rule (also remember to include tip in your budget if it's not built into your contract).  It's better to come in under budget and be able to upgrade something on your honeymoon or just go out for a nice dinner later than it is to end up surprised at the end of the night because you guessed wrong. 

You can get just-plain-juice at a bar? Huuuuuuh. I didn't know that. I would assume it would fall under the soft drinks, as it's non-alcoholic, and I also doubt that anyone will take advantage of that, but I'll make a note to ask just in case because I don't want to be surprised.

is the reception just dinner, so no dancing/DJ/"party" and all of that? I think I'd maybe have 2 drinks with dinner but probably nothing more.  If there was a party after dinner then it would be a lot higher but that doesn't sound like what you are doing.

I'd also want to know how do people know there are drinks.  Like will there be a bartender an bar area set up or will it be the waiter getting the drinks?

Yeah, reception is just going to be dinner and dessert, and maaaaaaaybe spotlight dances if we end up having to do that for general peacekeeping. We may let everyone know we're going to another bar afterwards and they're welcome to join us, but I don't know. I think I'd like better just to chill with my new H at that point.

The setup, as I understand it having never seen the private space, is that there's a bar set up already in the private room, and it just needs to be stocked and staffed. The dinner itself is buffet, so no servers (I don't think.... is that a thing I need to do with a buffet?), so I'm assuming it's just a bartender hanging out waiting to give people alcohol-based happiness. ????

Looks like the consensus is to plan for 1 drink per hour, per of-age adult. So... if we plan for 3 PP, and I expect it to be a 2 hour shendig, we should be way overbudgeting for it and have a happy surprise when we get the tab? 

I have too many questions and not enough answers to be 200ish days out, I feel like.

ETA: No worries on the tipping front! I have too many current and former food service employees in my circle to even consider any other option.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards