Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Where should I send the invites of recent high school graduates?

I searched "invites to college kids" earlier and that was a lot of help, but I think my situation is a little more specific. I will be sending invites to my September wedding in July. There's a handful of kids in my family who will be in college by the time my wedding rolls around. Usually the advice of TK says to send these invites separately from their parents, and I agree with that, but when I was a freshman in college, I don't recall if I knew my school address before freshman orientation (and I don't think I would have received mail at it in July even if I did). So, basically, do I treat these kids like children of their parents or adults?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Where should I send the invites of recent high school graduates?

• Options
    Send them their own invitation to their parent's house (or wherever they live before going to college).
  • Options
    JoanE2012 said:

Send them their own invitation to their parent's house (or wherever they live before going to college).

This is what I am doing. They will recieve their own invite but it will go to their parents house. Many of them already asked that I do this anyway.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, separate invitations, parents house. One mom on my guest list is getting a whole stack of invitations for herself and her adult children, hopefully all arriving at the same time.
    Just Married!

• Options
    JoanE2012 said:

This. 

You might also want to shoot them a Facebook message and let them know you sent the invite to their parent's house (or wherever). I only went home a few times a year, so if a wedding invite was at my parents house, I likely wouldn't have gotten it until after the wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    If the wedding is in September send the invitations to where they're living.

I wouldn't send invitations to a college until the students are there and they know the mail system.   I remember hearing some friends talk about how long it could take for the mail to flow through their office and how things would get lost as well so I wouldn't send important things to them until you know that they have a reliable system. 
  • Options
    Another vote for sending separate invitations to where ever they live in July. 

Traditional students starting in the fall don't move onto campus until August. Even if you could get the address that early, the invitation would be sitting in a box for a month. 
  • Options
    If you know where they're living at the time your invitations go out, I'd send the invitations to those addresses. Otherwise, send them to their parents' homes.
  • Options

Another vote for sending separate invitations to where ever they live in July. 

Traditional students starting in the fall don't move onto campus until August. Even if you could get the address that early, the invitation would be sitting in a box for a month. 
    Actually, at my school, they wouldn't be sitting in a box for a month, they'd get returned to sender so they Wouldn't be sitting in a box for a month.  They'd get forwarded to their home address, but if they're incoming freshmen and unknown in the system, they'd get returned since we don't know their home addresses yet.  I worked in the mail room at school for two years.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I would send them to their home address.   When I was in college, I never gave out my school address.  I used my parent's address for all mail/bills/etc throughout college because I knew that once it was delivered there it was safe. I didn't trust the campus mail system and didn't want to have to switch addresses when I went home on break/graduated.   A few times I needed some paperwork and my mom sent it to me in a separate envelope.   

I would assume the college student's parents are also getting an invitation and they'll know when they arrive.   The student can then have their parents fill out the rsvp and stick it in the mail with their own.   If you want to be extra cautious, then call/text/facebook or email, and let them know you're sending an invite to their parent's house. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards