Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Checks in cards at the wedding

This may have been covered in another thread that I am not seeing, but how did everyone deal with checks that were made out to "Mr & Mrs <insert grooms name>? Since you cannot change your name until after the marriage license has been processed, do you wait to cash those? FI and I were talking about that last night and we were lost. LOL!
Thank you in advance for your answers!
Visit The Knot!

Re: Checks in cards at the wedding

• We were able to cash ours right away. DH and I went to the bank with our ID's and our marriage license and explained the situation. They had us both sign the  backs of the checks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You can always sign it over to a third party (your mom or your FI it is is written out to you insert last name) and have them cash it or deposit it.  Some banks allow you to deposit or cash them as long as you have your marriage lisence with you.  It may also help if you have a joint account.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    Most banks, check your bank to be sure, will take any check if you write "for deposit only" on the bank and deposit them in to one of your accounts.

After DD's wedding (the next day before they left for the honeymoon), DSIL took all the checks, used an ap on his iphone to deposit them all in to their checking account. They didn't even have to take them to the bank, neither had to sign. It was amazingly fast and they had a lot of checks - no, I don't know how much the total was. I just know he was sitting in an easy chair doing it while DD and DSIL's mom and I chatted.
  • Now, THAT is awesome. I have the same app on my phone for depositing and it is wonderful!

Thanks for all the good suggestions. :)
    Visit The Knot!
  • we actually have had a savings account in both of our names for a little over a year now and this made depositing the checks very easy for us simply because both of our names are on the account so when the check was written to Mr and Mrs Ryan lastname, we had no issues what so ever
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • My H signed them and deposited them with no problems.
    Anniversary
  • That app made me uneasy when I saw it - Hopefully people think to shred someone's check afterwards since it has the account number on it and if just tossed someone could try to use somehow. Just remember to shred them appropriately!
  • I bank with Chase and we had no issues cashing checks written out to mr. And mrs. . Some were written out to just him and I deposited them Into my account no problem.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_checks-cards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:52e67155-8004-4239-a162-3c3b95f236f2Post:934535b5-5c1f-480d-938a-69c3cf7296c3">Re: Checks in cards at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always sign it over to a third party (your mom or your FI it is is written out to you insert last name) and have them cash it or deposit it.  Some banks allow you to deposit or cash them as long as you have your marriage lisence with you.  It may also help if you have a joint account.
    Posted by Hilraythebride[/QUOTE]

Good idea!! I was trying to think of a way to do this as well.
  • >>Since you cannot change your name until after the marriage license has been processed, do you wait to cash those?

How long do you think it takes to process?
    Your officiant turns in the signed marriage certificate on Monday after your wedding, and you'll get it back in 7 - 10 days... probably sooner than you'll be back from your HM, and you can go to the bank in the next couple of days after you get back.
  • We just deposited them into our joint checking account in the ATM

September 2013 Moms Siggy Challenge: The Thing I Miss Most Since Being Pregnant
    Replacing the water cooler! And other heavy lifting
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Batman was supposed to be a symbol of hope and bring justice. Not spark violence.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_checks-cards-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:52e67155-8004-4239-a162-3c3b95f236f2Post:8b0ea014-1930-46b8-b29a-da2640a1e976">Re: Checks in cards at the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE] />>Since you cannot change your name until after the marriage license has been processed, do you wait to cash those? How long do you think it takes to process? Your officiant turns in the signed marriage certificate on Monday after your wedding, and you'll get it back in 7 - 10 days... probably sooner than you'll be back from your HM, and you can go to the bank in the next couple of days after you get back.
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Actually, the court system here is a bit on the slow side. Had a friend get married here recently and it took 3 1/2 weeks to get it back after it was turned in. And she was married at the courthouse. She had people asking if they had gotten her check since it hadn't been cashed. Hence my question to all of you :)
    Visit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards