Not Engaged Yet
Options

Finally out of hibernation...

Hi everybody!  I have been literally hiding in my house trying to get my dissertation ready in time to defend, but it's done now and so I can come back and play!

Quick recap of the last month or so:

1) Finished the dissertation and scheduled the defense (next Monday, April 13)

2) Got a JOB for after graduation!  I'll be moving to Savannah, GA at the end of July.

3) Said goodbye to Mr.H as he left for Afghanistan.  :-(

4) Joined the Roman Catholic Church at Easter Vigil on Saturday.

5) Missed NEY and TK like crazy!

How's everybody else?  

Re: Finally out of hibernation...

• Options
    Hey, @futuremrshistorian!  Welcome back!!

Yay to all of your good news, except saying good-bye to Mr. H.  :(

My latest:  My job has gone to hell so I'm bailing and accepting a job offer under a different (better) contract here at the center.  I give my 2 weeks after my BI has gone through, so in about 2 or 3 weeks.  Can't wait.  Oh, and I got my new FitBit Charge HR finally so I have been playing with it a lot.  it is so much better than my FitBit Flex!  I had my surgery, it was benign with atypical cells so we are just monitoring the half thyroid I have left, and I'm back to almost normal.  I'm PiYo-ing again.  Planted my garden.  Hid in the cellar 2 weeks ago when the tornado came out of nowhere.

Nothing super exciting except I'm switching jobs and I'll be able to drop my $$$ private insurance.

Missed you around here!
  • Options
    Welcome back! Good luck next week! Sorry to hear about H. Thoughts for safe travels there and back!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • Options
    Congratulations on finishing your dissertation, I'm sure your defense will go smoothly. Also, congrats on your new job, and converting! Big hugs for Mr.H leaving.  

What will you be doing at your new job? 
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 - It's a full-time, non-tenure track teaching position at a university.  I'm so excited!!
  • Options
    Welcome back!  Sorry to hear about Mr. H leaving though.  When is he back again?

Not too much new here.  Just plugging away at work mostly and looking forward to a vacation we have coming up this week.  
  • Options
    @minskat30 - 14 months...ugh!  However, right before he left, he was asked to come interview for a teaching position here in the States. They've agreed to let him do a Skype interview instead, so something might come of that and he'd come back sooner if that was the case.
  • Options
    Ugh!  14 months is a long time.  I'm sorry....I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys for the teaching position.
  • Options
    Welcome back!!  YAY for all the good things - Boo For Mr. H having to leave again.

Anniversary
  • Options

Welcome back!

Glad ot hear you've got your dissertation all ready to go, lots of good vibes for your defence next week :)

Sorry to hear about Mr. H leaving, that's really sucky. Keeping fingers crossed that something will come up and he'll be gone less than 14 months!

On my end: work and wedding. We get our house in 2 1/2 weeks and I move a week after that. I want to spend all my time on Pinterest looking for decorating ideas. This week we hit the 1 month mark until the wedding and that just sounds crazy to me!

How did you like your first Catholic Easter? Did anything really stand out for you?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Congratulations on the new job in SAVANNAH (how exciting! @southernpeach89 and I love Savannah although we don't make the 5 hour trip from Atlanta very often)! Also congrats on completing your dissertation. I'm sending all the vibes for your defense in a week!

• Options

Congrats on all the exciting news!! I'll be sending all sorts of good vibes your way for you defense meeting, which I'm sure you will rock :)

• Options
    conrgats on getting your dissertation done and the job! sorry to hear about H leaving :( that must be so tough. fingers crossed for you guys on the skype interview thing. oh. and you probably dont know me...i started posting on here about a month ago. hello! :)
  • Options
    Congrats on your dissertation and your new job! That is so exciting! I'm sorry that Mr. H had to leave, but it sounds like he's got some solid career options right now. Hopefully after his current position ends and you've had time to settle into life after graduation, you guys will be able to settle down together. Glad you're back! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Man, I was wondering where you went! I figured it was one of those times like when I tell myself "I really need to stop going on NEY and get some serious work done", but then I come back anyway. I'm glad you took some time away and got your dissertation all done. Good luck on your defense! I'm sure you'll do fabulous.

I am super sorry to here that Mr. H is back overseas. I'm glad you have a new job coming up to help occupy you a little bit, but that still has to be so hard. I'm sorry to hear it, lady.

Nothing is new with me. Yay.

• Options
    @Imcooper86 - You mean besides the 3-hour Vigil Mass on Saturday?  ;-)  Nothing else really stood out as different--I was raised in a pretty traditional church worship-wise, and I've been going to Mass for a long time, so nothing was really different.  Except that this time I got to take the Eucharist.

@AlPacina - I wanted to get on NEY every day, but I literally had zero spare time, and I knew that if I got on I'd be on all day...just didn't have the time.  But now I do again because I am free from the albatross of revision!
  • Options
    Vibes for your defense and congratulations on your job!
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Eeeee congrats on finishing your dissertation, scheduling your defense, and scoring a new job!! I'm sorry about Mr. H leaving though :(
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

@Imcooper86 - You mean besides the 3-hour Vigil Mass on Saturday?  ;-)  Nothing else really stood out as different--I was raised in a pretty traditional church worship-wise, and I've been going to Mass for a long time, so nothing was really different.  Except that this time I got to take the Eucharist.

I cannot imagine 3 hours. Our service went long Sunday morning and I thought people were going to just start walking out at an hour and a half! That's awesome though that Easter was the first time you got to take the Eucharist; that must have been really meaningful. Glad it all went well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @imcooper86 - Yeah...3 hours and 15 minutes, actually, which is about standard.  If we were a bigger parish it would have run longer.  The entire back of the church was filled with children sleeping in the pews!
  • Options
    Yay! I'm glad your back! Congrats on finishing your dissertation and landing the job--  that's SO amazing! 

Updates with me: 
    I will start a long term art substitute teacher position at an elementary school in a week, and it will last until the end of the school year-- I hope it goes well! I'm glad that I found something a little closer to my field, and maybe I'll like it a lot and decide to get my public school certification? Who knows! My art work is going to be in a show in Lithuania in October, which is really exciting, and the wedding is coming up soon-- less than two months to go. I think that's it for me! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards