Chit Chat

New(ish) Movies

2»

Re: New(ish) Movies

• A Clockwork Orange is weird as fuck.  However, the book is so much stranger.  I'd prefer never to read or watch either ever again.  

SO and I watched Gone Girl and Nightcrawler last week.  He was like, "hey babe!  I picked up a couple movies to watch tonight!" I started laughing because they were both such intense movies to watch back to back.  I think Gone Girl scarred him a little bit.  I didn't care for Nightcrawler.  It reminded me of Drive, which I didn't like either.  

• doeydo said:

Newish movies I liked: John Wick, The Theory of Everything, and Fury.

I FINALLY just realized what movie Fury was lol. I saw it, and I really liked it.
    i am all about watching WWII movies so we went opening night and rented it almost immidetely (cant spell not enough coffee in my system) after it came out on dvd. 
  • I watched "A Clockwork Orange" in high school along with a bunch of other super trippy movies ("Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas")... yeah, it's a certain mindset to really understand/enjoy/not go crazy from it. 

Recent movies I've enjoyed:
    John Wick
    Nightcrawler
    Unbroken
    Birdman
    The Judge
    Two Night Stand

Didn't enjoy:
    Exodus
    Most Violent Year 

We watch far too many movies. Sunday alone we watched 5.

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    levioosa said:

A Clockwork Orange is weird as fuck.  However, the book is so much stranger.  I'd prefer never to read or watch either ever again.  

SO and I watched Gone Girl and Nightcrawler last week.  He was like, "hey babe!  I picked up a couple movies to watch tonight!" I started laughing because they were both such intense movies to watch back to back.  I think Gone Girl scarred him a little bit.  I didn't care for Nightcrawler.  It reminded me of Drive, which I didn't like either.  
    I think we ended up watching those two movies in the same weekend, if not the same night, and I remember at the end of the 2nd one I was just like "Jesus! Can we watch a cartoon or something now?!" 

I wasn't super fond of Nightcrawler. It was just too creepy and too slow-paced at some points. I kept waiting for all of it to build to something, but it just kind of fizzled out. 

Gone Girl was more entertaining but I didn't like the end (I hadn't read the book so it was all a surprise to me). It just seemed way too far fetched *****SPOILER ALERT********** that all those camera's were in the guy's house and were probably time stamped, so yeah the police would have seen the stuff she set up for them to see, but they also would have seen her happily strolling right into the house with him and whatnot. There were a few other things that made no sense but I can't think of what they were off the top of my head. I don't know. Too many holes in the logic. 

See, this is why it's hard for me to watch movies lol. I'm too damn picky. 
  • emmaaa said:

I have Interstellar on Redbox at home for DH and I to watch tonight. I'm glad y'all said it was good because I felt unsure about it! 

I really want to see Get Hard with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell. I love Kevin Hart.
    We saw Get Hard this weekend.  It was funny, FI thought it was one of the funniest things ever, but that's his thing.  There's LOTS of dick jokes, and even an actual dick.  Not worth paying $9.25 at the theater so just wait til it's out on DVD or whatever.  
    Thanks! DH and I never go to the movie theater, it is always Pay Per View or Redbox for us. I refuse to pay $10 to sit in a movie that I can't pause if I have to pee.

• Lately we've been watching a lot of movies, and I'm usually pretty picky but I've really liked them. I'm curious to know other people's thoughts on these, or what you've seen recently. Anything good that I need to see? Anything I shouldn't waste my time on? 

Here's what I've watched in the past week or so: 
    • Interstellar -- I LOVE Jessica Chastain, and I love movies that make me think. The ending of this one definitely had me thinking for a while. 
    • The Theory of Everything. I thought it was really interesting and the cast was awesome. I actually cried at the end which isn't normal for me. 
    • St Vincent. All I have to say is: Bill Murray. 
    We also watched the most recent Hobbit movie and I wasn't very fond of it. Too many desperate attempts at comic relief, and the story dragged out too long for me. 

And this film isn't recent at all (1973) but I have to mention it. Has anyone seen A Clockwork Orange? Holy shit. 
    A Clockwork Orange is BRUTAL! I tried reading the book and it was even worse. Couldn't finish.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hicoco said:

Lately we've been watching a lot of movies, and I'm usually pretty picky but I've really liked them. I'm curious to know other people's thoughts on these, or what you've seen recently. Anything good that I need to see? Anything I shouldn't waste my time on? 

Here's what I've watched in the past week or so: 
    • Interstellar -- I LOVE Jessica Chastain, and I love movies that make me think. The ending of this one definitely had me thinking for a while. 
    • The Theory of Everything. I thought it was really interesting and the cast was awesome. I actually cried at the end which isn't normal for me. 
    • St Vincent. All I have to say is: Bill Murray. 
    We also watched the most recent Hobbit movie and I wasn't very fond of it. Too many desperate attempts at comic relief, and the story dragged out too long for me. 

And this film isn't recent at all (1973) but I have to mention it. Has anyone seen A Clockwork Orange? Holy shit. 
    A Clockwork Orange is BRUTAL! I tried reading the book and it was even worse. Couldn't finish.
    Yeah I have the book on my "to read" shelf...but I'm just gonna go ahead and skip that one. I can imagine it's really difficult to read anyway thanks to all the weird made-up words. We literally had to watch the entire movie with the subtitles on just to try to figure out what they were saying, between the accents and the odd language. 
  • jenna8984, so jealous! I am obsessed with Miles Teller. That's super awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards