Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

great wedding, horrible honeymoon!

So there we were, after a loooooooooooong day, 10 pm we were finally headed home for the night, newly married! Let me back up a few months here...My wife and I saved money for months and months to pay for our all-inclusive honeymoon in Cabo Mexico. We spent about $2,200 on the trip. We both work full time and our money is very tight since I'm helping my family start a business. We decided on this option so that we could actually relax for a week knowing everything was paid off. So back to our wedding night, we head home about 10 pm only to walk in the door to our apartment to realize our judge left the wedding with our license!!! We finally contacted his wife about 11 pm and headed out to pick it up. On the way home at about 11:30 pm we get a call from a family member. They had picked up our dog an hour ago to watch him for the week while we were gone. The family member then told us they wouldn't be able to watch our pup anymore because he didn't get along with their dog. So we then drove an hour away to pick him up. We finally walked in the door about 2 AM. our flight for Mexico was set to leave at 9 AM the next morning so after numerous phone calls to find a dog sitter we quickly packed our last minute luggage and tried to get a couple hours of sleep.

The next morning we wake up around 5 AM. We arranged for a friend of mine to pick up our dog and drop him to another friend of mine to watch until Sunday when yet another friend could pick him up for the week. Finally my sister in law picked us up at 7 AM and you can imagine our excitement as we drove to the airport, realizing this was finally it, our time to relax and enjoy our spouses! We get to the airport, say our goodbyes and check in. 8 AM we sit down to eat breakfast at our gate. Go figure, our flight was delayed a few hours for bad weather. We were not going to let this ruin our mood, so we joked around and enjoyed ourselves trying to keep in good spirits. Finally! they call for us and we walk up to the gate, we hand them our passports and the guy takes them over to his supervisor...The superviser comes over and says can you please step over here sir? He informs me that We have passport cards, not actual passports and we would not be able to fly with them! We were in complete shock!!! After numerous calls to our travel agent we came to the conclusion that we would not be going to Mexico period. We ended up getting about 30% of our money back, which is better than nothing, but still very upsetting. We made the best of it and took some cash and got away for a few days but it was not Mexico for sure. If you have spent the time to read this ridiculously long story, please pay attention!!!! If you are planning on flying out of country DO NOT get the passport card!!!! I'm not blaming this on anyone in particular but we are young and know nothing about traveling. Noone at the post office told us we couldn't fly with it even though they knew we were planning to fly! hopfully this helps save someone some major dissappointment!

Re: great wedding, horrible honeymoon!

• Options
    Wow, you guys just didn't have any luck all around. I am sorry you had to deal with those family members and the issues with the dog.

WIth regards to the passport issue, we have never been out of the country before our HM either. I had heard (thanks to the ladies on my month board) that you now had to have a passport book to go to Mexico. Our TA told us the book was the best way to go for your money anyway since it lasts for 10 yrs.

Hopefully you guys can make things up and book another trip in the near future. The good news is that you are married, and that is the most important thing, even though I am sure you need some serious R & R about now.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you and your wife had such a bad experience on your honeymoon. Hopefully you will get the opportunity for a do-over. I was never a fan of the new passport cards they are pushing and chose not to get one. FI and I are using the old fashioned passports
  • Options
    A travel agent should have mentioned a passport to you, I find it really hard to believe they wouldn't. With a lot of agencies they require the clients to sign paperwork and included in the paperwork is a sheet informing you that you need a passport to travel and the agent is not responsible for that. Take a look through your papers before contacting the agent to blamer him/her for it.

I'm sorry your plans fell through like that, I would be so incredibly disappointed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry you didn't get to have your honeymoon, but you really should have done the research on passports.  It says right on the application you had to fill out to obtain the passport that passport cards are only good for land and sea travel, not for flying.  Completely your fault, so you're lucky to have gotten the 30% refunded. 

Hopefully you'll be able to take another honeymoon next year. 
  • Options
    >>walk in the door to our apartment to realize our judge left the wedding with our license!!!

What's the problem with this?
    Of course the judge left with your license.  The judge needs to file it on Monday with the Clerk of Courts to make your marriage legal.  YOU won't be there on Monday to take it to the Clerk of Court office yourself - you will be on your HM.

We were married by a judge, who made sure everyone signed it who needed to sign it, and then he took it with him to file on Monday. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_great-wedding-horrible-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:5be0dcb5-539e-4b3a-b2ff-aca130746b8dPost:e614c90e-e2ca-4ed3-85c8-0f71de758562">Re: great wedding, horrible honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE] />>walk in the door to our apartment to realize our judge left the wedding with our license!!! What's the problem with this? Of course the judge left with your license.  The judge needs to file it on Monday with the Clerk of Courts to make your marriage legal.  YOU won't be there on Monday to take it to the Clerk of Court office yourself - you will be on your HM. We were married by a judge, who made sure everyone signed it who needed to sign it, and then he took it with him to file on Monday. 
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

I was confused on this as well....haha =]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards