Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Groom's Guests

Looking for some advice.  

We're in the last week of our reply window and my FI's friends just. aren't. coming.  Sent a STD, plenty of notice, etc.  The few we've heard from have declined and the others haven't made any indication that they're planning on coming so he's "preparing for no one to come."  This is a guy that goes to every wedding, sends a gift, keeps up with people, shows up.  There's no reason (and I know there doesn't have to be) that folks aren't coming, they just aren't.  Any suggestions on how to lift his spirits a bit on this? 

Re: Groom's Guests

• Options
    Wow. Yeah, that's hurtful. True, he's not entitled to expect them to come or even an explanation for why they're declining, but it's very cold. Maybe, if none of them show up, he needs to reevaluate his friendships with them and stop being there for them if he has reason to believed they're taking him for granted.

I guess what I'd do is 2 things:
    1) Make your alone time with him as enjoyable as possible
    2) Make him as comfortable and happy as possible with the guests from your side.
  • Options
    You could make some phone calls to the invitees who haven't responded and ask them if they are planning on attending.  It may just be case of lazy guys who didn't send the response card.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your fiance.  I would be down too.  I agree with Jen4948.  Maybe you can do something special at the wedding for him, like a song or something that let's him focus on the relationship you have together?
  • Options
    For the ones that haven't yet responded, I agree with CMG that he needs to just call them. That's what anyone should do if you haven't received a reply card after the deadline. It's not just a guy thing, but people just forget; also, cards get lost in the mail.

Basing this question after a thread in Chit Chat-- your wedding day isn't the same day as a major sporting event, is it?  Also, is it a Friday or Sunday? Are you getting a lot of declines or is the acceptance rate just lopsided with his friends on the negative side? 

Other than that, everyone else is right- there are silver linings and focus on what's going to be awesome- getting married! 

• Options
    It's very possible that some of them haven't RSVPed. Some people are forgetful with stuff like that. 

I would remind him that yall are still getting married and it will still be a good time no matter. I know it sucks when people aren't able to attend, but at the end of the day you two are the only ones who matter!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You still have a week. Wait until your RSVP deadline and then contact the people that haven't responded.

• Options

We didn't have this particular problem but we literally had to beg the people we knew were coming to send them back.  They assumed because they told us that they were coming, that is was enough confirmation. 

I don't have a lot of people coming from my side other than my family.  It is a little disheartening but I know that there are people who support us on his side and I am ok with that.  This day is about me and him, not about who comes.  If people can't or won't, they are the ones missing out on a great opportunity to spend time with us and get some free food and alcohol :) (a positive spin you can try with him)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards