Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Barn/Rustic Reception Needed in Philadelphia area

My fiancée and I are looking for a barn/rustic setting for our ceremony and reception. We LOVE Normandy Farms, but the room we can afford only fits 160, and our guest list is at 185 right now.

We are looking for another venue within 30 miles of Delaware County to check out with a similar set up that will run us 18-22k for the rental, food and ceremony.

Thanks!

Re: Barn/Rustic Reception Needed in Philadelphia area

• Moving to the Philly board.
    *********************************************************************************

• Well it's not exactly a barn, but I am getting married at the Anthony Wayne House in Paoli, and it definitely has that rustic feel to it.  In fact, I even looked at a few barn venues, and loved the Anthony Wayne House better.  It is a beautiful garden setting with a large tent strung up with lights and mason jars, and has an awesome fire pit (which totally sold me).  Looks like it could accommodate your budget too, they have so many options for food from the catering company Jeffrey Miller Catering.  The food is awesome, and all super fresh ingredients (farm to table). They are good people to work with and even have a floral division for your flowers (which was actually the best quote we got after looking at several other florists too).  Hope this helps!
  • Have you looked at Brandywine Manor House in Delaware County?  I have no idea of the cost though. They have a tent and a barn plus hotel rooms.
  • i am doing the barn thing as well. I looked at normandy farms and did not like it. We are getting married at The Barn on Bridge in Collegeville
  • Also not quite a barn, but we're getting married at the American Swedish Historical Museum in FDR park in Philadelphia.  It's a gorgeous venue and the rental fees plus food will be in your budget. Jeffrey Miller Catering does all the events there and the food is delicious!  There's gorgeous outdoor space, plus its across a lawn from the lake and boat house which can lend itself to a rustic feeling.  You should check it out on partyspace.com!!
  • I loved Normandy Farms and Brandywine Manor House too, ended up going with The Washington at Historic Yellow Springs. Not a barn feel but still rustic, laid back, historic.. I almost didn't visit it because I wanted something more barn-y, but once I visited and saw it, I knew immediately it was the place! 
  • dmg213dmg213 member
    First Comment
    I would also suggest checking out Jeffrey A Miller (JAM) Catering and their venues.  I am getting married at the Anthony Wayne House this October.  I wanted a very classic and natural setting, with both outdoor and indoor spaces, and our budget is close to yours.  I fell in love with the farmhouse tables, mason jar lights that are strung around the clear reception tent, and the fire pit where we will have a smores station!  My fiancé and I had gone to a JAM wedding at the Tyler Arboretum a couple of years ago and loved the food, so that was a big factor in deciding to go with them.  Everything is farm-to-table fresh and they have SO MANY options – especially for cocktail hour!  We just loved all of the creative and delicious hors d'overues.  Overall, the charm that they infuse into their spaces though not only the food but also all of the other little elements related to that really sold me (for example, they use wooden crates and barrels to display their antipasto station for cocktail hour).  They take a lot of pressure off of me trying to achieve our “look” in every single space – they do so much of that for us!  Check them out at  http://jamcater.com/.
  • My sister got married at Kings Mill in Aston which had a rustic feel. Beautiful grounds for pictures too.
  • Hi!  I am planning my wedding as well and looking for a rustic venue. So far at the top of my list is Rose Bank winery in Newtown pa. and woodsedge farm in stockton Nj!
  • edited October 2015
    As others have said previously in this thread check out Jeffery A Miller (JAM) Catering and their venues (http://jamcater.com/venues). My fiancé and I knew we didn't want to have a cookie cutter ceremony and reception in a banquet hall. We found JAM on party space and so many of their venues fit the bill. Ultimately, we wanted a rustic, natural, and unique setting for our ceremony and reception. We ended up choosing the John James Audubon Center as our venue. The grounds are beautiful, plenty of places to take great pictures. We fell in love with the barn and pavilion at the Audubon center. It also doesn't hurt that all of the food the JAM serves is farm-to-table fresh and prepared on site the day of. We haven't had out tasting yet, but based on the reviews of JAM we are really looking forward to it! Best of luck in finding the perfect venue! - Jackie
  • cspolales said:
    Also not quite a barn, but we're getting married at the American Swedish Historical Museum in FDR park in Philadelphia.  It's a gorgeous venue and the rental fees plus food will be in your budget. Jeffrey Miller Catering does all the events there and the food is delicious!  There's gorgeous outdoor space, plus its across a lawn from the lake and boat house which can lend itself to a rustic feeling.  You should check it out on partyspace.com!!
    I really love what I see about this place but I have no been able to have anyone contact me back! I tried from the caterer website, from the knot, from emailing, ahh, are they good with getting back to you?
  • edited November 2015
    JackAttak said:
    cspolales said:
    Also not quite a barn, but we're getting married at the American Swedish Historical Museum in FDR park in Philadelphia.  It's a gorgeous venue and the rental fees plus food will be in your budget. Jeffrey Miller Catering does all the events there and the food is delicious!  There's gorgeous outdoor space, plus its across a lawn from the lake and boat house which can lend itself to a rustic feeling.  You should check it out on partyspace.com!!
    I really love what I see about this place but I have no been able to have anyone contact me back! I tried from the caterer website, from the knot, from emailing, ahh, are they good with getting back to you?
    I first made contact with JAM through the venue website on PartySpace. Here is the venue page for the American Swedish Historical Museum you were interested in: http://partyspace.com/philadelphia/venue/american-swedish-historical-museum. The PartySpace page is great because you can see what dates are already booked at a venue and other info. I remember when I first sent a message for information about the JAM venue at the John James Audubon Center, it did take a couple days to here back. Not sure how long it has been since you tried contacting JAM.

If you are looking to get in touch with someone directly at JAM try Shannon (shannonm@jamcater.com). She was the person that I first talked to regarding looking at JAM venues and has always been responsive to my emails and questions since we booked our venue with JAM. -Jackie
  • JackAttak said:
    cspolales said:
    I first made contact with JAM through the venue website on PartySpace. Here is the venue page for the American Swedish Historical Museum you were interested in: http://partyspace.com/philadelphia/venue/american-swedish-historical-museum. The PartySpace page is great because you can see what dates are already booked at a venue and other info. I remember when I first sent a message for information about the JAM venue at the John James Audubon Center, it did take a couple days to here back. Not sure how long it has been since you tried contacting JAM.

If you are looking to get in touch with someone directly at JAM try Shannon (shannonm@jamcater.com). She was the person that I first talked to regarding looking at JAM venues and has always been responsive to my emails and questions since we booked our venue with JAM. -Jackie
    Thank You! My contact got back to me yesterday finally and we have a tour Saturday :)
  • Good luck! You're going to fall in love with the John James Audubon Center. We are having our wedding there in May and couldn't be more excited! Between the food offerings and the unique venue, it's hard to resist selecting this beautiful venue!
  • We are also getting married at the John James Audubon Center in August! Shannon and Kate are awesome, responsive, and really willing to work within your budget. If you have any questions about working with them, I'd be happy to try and help! JAM has great reviews so we can't wait to see our vision come to life. I've also heard the food is to die for. On our menu: balsamic glazed salmon with mango salsa.  
    Lauren W.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards