Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony

We're having a friend officiate and just finished writing the ceremony. We used a varieties of sources to piece our ceremony together. Can we get some feedback?

Thank you!

The Opening: [officiant] Please be seated. Welcome. Today is a celebration: a celebration of love, of commitment, of friendship, of family, and of two people who have decided on forever. Many of us have traveled hundred of miles in support of the two who stand before us. Together we are the most important people in their lives and they’ve brought us here to publically recognize that we’ve all played some special part in the love they share today.

Speaking of important people, there were none more important in influencing the lives of Groom and Bride than their parents. With that being said, who presents Bride in marriage to this man?

Father answers: “Her mother and I”

The Address: [officiant] I was asked at the stroke of midnight of the New Year to officiate Groom and Bride's wedding. Though hesitant at first, I am honored to witness, celebrate, and usher in the beginning of Groom and Bride’s marriage.

When they asked me to be a part of their big day, it got me thinking about marriage… and what that looks like. In particular, what that will look like for the two of you. I imagine the marriage between you Groom, and you Bride will look a little something like this:

[officiant take on what our marriage will look like]
Making a home together… one thousand miles from where you first met.

May your marriage be a never-ending reel of adventures—captured and shared alongside, and with each other. For as long as you both shall live.

Let’s begin.

Reading 1: [officiant] Groom and Bride have asked Bride's sister to select and recite a reading that captures their love for one another.

Sister: [Her reading]

Vows: [officiant] You fell in love by chance, but you're here today because you're making a choice. You both are choosing each other. You've chosen to be with someone who enhances you, who makes you think, makes you smile, and makes every day brighter.

You're about to make promises to each other that you intend to keep. You're going to vow to take care of each other, to stand up for one another, and find happiness in the other. There's a simple principle to each of these promises: you're vowing to be there. You're teaming up and saying to the other, "Every experience I am going to have, I want you to be a part of."

Groom and Bride have chosen to recite their own vows. Groom, you may begin.

Groom: I vow to fiercely love you in all your forms, now and forever / I promise to never forget that this is a once in a lifetime love / I vow to love you and no matter what challenges might carry us apart, we will always find a way back to each other.

Bride: I vow to help you love life / to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands / to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not / and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

officiant: Will you, Groom and Bride, be each other's partners from this day forward? Will you bring out the best in one another, share your happiest moments together, and love each other absolutely — for the rest of this lifetime and for whatever may come next?

Groom and Bride: We Will.

Ceremony of the rings: [officiant] May we now have the rings.

(Bridesmaids and Groomsmen pass up the rings to officiant)

As this ring is placed upon your finger remember that it is your love for one another that has brought you here, and it is that love that will guide you down the pathways of your future.

You will travel this road hand in hand, side by side, forward into the unknown future of times of dread, desire, hope and happiness. Remember always that your love for one another is strong and with it all is possible.

Groom, as you place the ring on Bride's finger, repeat after me…
I give you this ring
As a sign that I choose you
To be my lover, my partner,
And my best friend
Today, tomorrow, and always.

Bride, as you place the ring on Groom's finger, repeat after me…
I give you this ring
As a sign that I choose you
To be my lover, my partner,
And my best friend
Today, tomorrow, and always.

Pronouncement: [officiant] Now that you have given yourselves to each other with solemn vows, and the giving and receiving of rings, in front of God and all who are assembled here—it is with great joy that I pronounce you husband and wife.

You may now seal your vows with a kiss.

(Kissing!)

Re: Ceremony

• Options
    tojaitojai member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    aimsley86 said:

The Address: [officiant] I was asked at the stroke of midnight of the New Year to officiate Groom and Bride's wedding. Though hesitant at first, I am honored to witness, celebrate, and usher in the beginning of Groom and Bride’s marriage.

SITB

Why was the officiant hesitant when asked to do the wedding?  Is this a reference to something that your guests will be aware of?

It just seems kind of an odd thing to say I guess, I've never heard an officiant say something like that before. 

• Options
    He's a friend whose never officiated before. We could elaborate on that a tad or remove the bit altogether
  • Options
    IMO you should not put words in his mouth regarding how he feels. You don't know that. I think you should also take out the part about what he thinks your marriage will be like. It feels unnecessary and potentially awkward.

I also feel the transition wording about the parents just doesn't flow. Take out the two sentences before and just let him say, "Who presents... etc."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards