Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Vent--Pay to attend a wedding party?!?!?

marie2785marie2785 member
First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
edited April 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
I just got an invite to a wedding celebration.  I'm generally low key about many etiquette things, but this crossed a serious line. 

To start, it was a facebook invite. Ok odd...but whatever. Not something I'll freak out over. Second, the event A GIANT dance party. That's cool, dance parties are fun, and they say they are throwing this party. And then in the invite the bride and groom say they're already married, so this is just a party. So far so good...they're honest, are throwing a fun party, and sent out clear invites with time, date, location, etc.  

And then...it falls apart spectacularly. A few lines down they make it clear that they are charging people to attend, and you MUST buy a ticket to the wedding party. They let you know the money you are paying is going to paying for the event, and any extra is going towards the honeymoon. At this point, my RSVP changed to no. But I was curious how much they planned to charge. So I went to the event website, when you go to buy a $10 ticket, there is an extra line to give the bride and groom cash on top of your ticket price before you check out. Umm...they are asking for additional cash even though they already say that the money they are charging you to attend this event will partly go to fund their honeymoon. Oh but you see, NO GIFTS is clearly specified! They just want you to come to the party THEY are throwing so they can celebrate with you (?!?)

I'm not sure this even warrants a "congrats" card. I'm pretty sure the wedding is just being used as an excuse to host and make money off a dance party. 

Re: Vent--Pay to attend a wedding party?!?!?

• Options
    So if everyone is anoyed by this nonsense and no one pays to attend, do you think the couple will be able to afford the venue they rented, etc? This is a mess.
  • Options
    Sounds like a wedding social in Manitoba.
  • Options
    TNDancer said:

So if everyone is anoyed by this nonsense and no one pays to attend, do you think the couple will be able to afford the venue they rented, etc? This is a mess.

Well duh, then they'll just set up a Go Fund Me to get out of the debt. 

• Options
    marie2785 said:

Oh but you see, NO GIFTS is clearly specified! They just want you to come to the party THEY are throwing so they can celebrate with you (?!?)

I'm not sure this even warrants a "congrats" card. I'm pretty sure the wedding is just being used as an excuse to host and make money off a dance party. 

I am not sure why but it seems like there's a large segment of the population who do not seem to understand that a gift of cash is a gift - just as much as a place setting or a new toaster would be. It kind of boggles my mind. 
  • Options

Quite self-centered to ask people to pay money to spend time with you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    IVY.  I'm attending a baby shower on Saturday that has me fuming (I feel the need to attend for personal reasons otherwise I'd be all hell no).  It's a baby shower at a winery and according to the invitation (that I had to go to ridiculous lengths to see) the tasting costs each guest $15.  On top of that they are requesting that people bring an unwrapped book instead of a card for a game.  I HATE this "request".  I don't buy expensive cards so you're asking me to spend more money and get you an additional gift.  Plus I like to give books AS GIFTS, not as an uncounted extra for a baby shower game. 

There was no registry or other gift information on the invitation so I texted my friend to confirm that she's having a girl and to ask if she's registered anywhere, and she replied that they're pooling gift cards to Babies R Us/"donations" for the car seat and crib because they're "surprisingly expensive!"  Why on earth would that be surprising?  Don't people research the costs of having kids before actually trying to have them?  The primary reason I'm attending this shitshow is because she lost a pregnancy last year in the 7th month, so I'm giving her more leeway than I usually would.  I also didn't find out any of this information until after they thought I had RSVPed (long story), and I didn't find out about the gift cards until this week.

• Options
    japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

IVY.  I'm attending a baby shower on Saturday that has me fuming (I feel the need to attend for personal reasons otherwise I'd be all hell no).  It's a baby shower at a winery and according to the invitation (that I had to go to ridiculous lengths to see) the tasting costs each guest $15.  On top of that they are requesting that people bring an unwrapped book instead of a card for a game.  I HATE this "request".  I don't buy expensive cards so you're asking me to spend more money and get you an additional gift.  Plus I like to give books AS GIFTS, not as an uncounted extra for a baby shower game. 

There was no registry or other gift information on the invitation so I texted my friend to confirm that she's having a girl and to ask if she's registered anywhere, and she replied that they're pooling gift cards to Babies R Us/"donations" for the car seat and crib because they're "surprisingly expensive!"  Why on earth would that be surprising?  Don't people research the costs of having kids before actually trying to have them?  The primary reason I'm attending this shitshow is because she lost a pregnancy last year in the 7th month, so I'm giving her more leeway than I usually would.  I also didn't find out any of this information until after they thought I had RSVPed (long story), and I didn't find out about the gift cards until this week.

Who throws a baby shower at a winery!?!?
    There seriously isn't a single aspect to this shower that isn't making me roll my eyes.  It's also an hour away so I get to add 2 hours of driving to the fun.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

There seriously isn't a single aspect to this shower that isn't making me roll my eyes.  It's also an hour away so I get to add 2 hours of driving to the fun.
    Man, that means you can't even get hammered and then catch a cab.  Temecula?  

• Options
    It's in Lompoc.  Not a winery I've ever heard of.
    levioosa said:

Viczaesar said:

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

It's in Lompoc.  Not a winery I've ever heard of.

levioosa said:

Viczaesar said:

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

At least there's a little wine available for this shit show of a shower.  

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

There was no registry or other gift information on the invitation so I texted my friend to confirm that she's having a girl and to ask if she's registered anywhere, and she replied that they're pooling gift cards to Babies R Us/"donations" for the car seat and crib because they're "surprisingly expensive!"  Why on earth would that be surprising?  Don't people research the costs of having kids before actually trying to have them?  

I hate this word when it is used in the context of private persons asking for people to fund events/expenses in their regular lives. 

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but ew. Also, trust your friends to buy you the gifts they can afford within reason. For example we had a baby shower a couple weeks back in the office for a very well liked employee. She received a ton of gifts including a stroller, which was purchased by a couple of people who pooled their money together. How novel!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Viczaesar said:

Viczaesar said:

BOX

Viczaesar said:

The bolded makes me ragey. I've been subject to that bullshit before. In my circles, the expensive stuff is often bought by blood relatives- the grandparent(s)-to-be, or a close aunt. Anytime someone "suggests" how we buy gifts I want to slice someone. 

Viczaesar said:

The card thing doesn't bother me so much though, because even if you buy a pile of books, you can use one book as the "card." Or go to the used bookstore and pick up a vintage fairy tale for like 50 cents. EDIT--- Good grief my boxes and quotes are very screwed up! 

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Viczaesar said:

No, actually.  In my experience, pretty much no one even thinks about how expensive having kids are.  They just have them.
    japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

A person who knows how to host a good shower?

I don't understand the incredulous tone.  Usually the only one pregnant at a baby shower is the mom to be. . . that shouldn't preclude the rest of the guests from being able to drink.  I've never been to a dry baby shower.

Now, in order for this to actually be a well hosted shower, the hosts should have covered the tasting cost for each guest.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

H's friends were just talking about that and whether it was mean to the mom. It's not, IMO. She's not going to be drinking - nothing about her situation changes - and hopefully her attitude is that if everyone else gets to have fun with it, then great. She'll get the gifts. Might make a shower actually tolerable.
  • Options

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

H's friends were just talking about that and whether it was mean to the mom. It's not, IMO. She's not going to be drinking - nothing about her situation changes - and hopefully her attitude is that if everyone else gets to have fun with it, then great. She'll get the gifts. Might make a shower actually tolerable.
    Our circle of friends always throws showers after the babies are born so that they are more of a meet and greet. There is always wine there and mama can usually partake. Whenever one of my friends has a baby, they get a bottle of wine along with cute outfits.
  • Options

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

In this case I actually think she's going to be drinking - she told me a while back that her doctor okayed her for drinking a certain amount of wine a week.  I forget how much though. 

Semi-update: she just posted a picture on Facebook of all the wine glasses she painted for the shower.  I...don't want that in my house.  :/  *sigh*

I don't have time to go to a thrift store and look for a $1-2 book (they don't have books for under $1 around here), so now the nice (and not cheap) board book I bought for her is no longer considered a gift from me and will be used in this game (I don't for a second believe that she's going to note who brought which book for her).  I truly loathe this shit.  Don't tell me how to spend my money, period.  It's my decision if I want to use a book as a main gift or part of a larger gift.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

See my abive what the fuck gif

• Options
    Viczaesar said:

japlanet said:

Viczaesar said:

In this case I actually think she's going to be drinking - she told me a while back that her doctor okayed her for drinking a certain amount of wine a week.  I forget how much though. 

Semi-update: she just posted a picture on Facebook of all the wine glasses she painted for the shower.  I...don't want that in my house.  :/  *sigh*

I don't have time to go to a thrift store and look for a $1-2 book (they don't have books for under $1 around here), so now the nice (and not cheap) board book I bought for her is no longer considered a gift from me and will be used in this game (I don't for a second believe that she's going to note who brought which book for her).  I truly loathe this shit.  Don't tell me how to spend my money, period.  It's my decision if I want to use a book as a main gift or part of a larger gift.
    Do you have the dollar store or something similar? I managed to buy about 2 dozen baby books for under $10 last year to make center pieces for a baby shower. I'd leave the nice book as the main gift, to hell with her "donation" garbage. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards