Registry and Gift Forum

Register at a store convenient for guests?

julieanne912julieanne912 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited April 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum

Ok, we're registered at Target, Amazon, and Crate and Barrel.  FI's family and many of the guests live in SW Wyoming where there is not a Target or a Crate and Barrel.  I'm feeling a little bad that I didn't register at a store in their town, but the only stores there are WalMart, KMart, and JCPenney (with an extremely limited housewares section). 

Am I overthinking this?  Are my stores fine and they can just shop online if they want to buy us a gift?  I know FI's mom does a lot of catalog and online shopping already. 

ETA: I would swap out one of the stores I'm registered at should I switch... probably Target since I guess I could get similar things at JC Penney.

Married 9.12.15

Re: Register at a store convenient for guests?

• edited April 2015
    I think you have to look at your guests and their ability to purchase gifts online.  Are you guests all computer savvy?  Are they the type that order online?

I'm registered at Macy's and a majority of the guests have purchased their items online rather than in the store. There are plenty of Macy's around where we live, so I know the online thing is more of a personal preference.  I know some older guests are going to physically buy gifts at a store because they don't own computers/like to shop online.   If people are willing to buy online, then you're fine.  If they're not the typical online shopper than you need a local store for convenience. 
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Are you having a shower? If yes, then what PP said about determining whether your guests will be comfortable shopping online or not. If you think they can roll with online shopping, then I think it's probably fine. 

If you're not having a shower, I especially wouldn't worry about it. 
  • No shower and I think most people are comfortable with online shopping. Might be a handful that aren't, like FI's grandma, but his mom could probably help her if she wants to buy a gift. Thanks for the input, I am probably worrying over nothing.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Guests comfort level is definitely important, but if you think they can handle the online aspect, then I'd go with the stores you want.  

We live fairly far away from the majority of our wedding guests, so there are much fewer stores that are convenient for US.  So we picked stores we could physically get to for registering and returning.  
  • I feel like, if you live in Wyoming, you know you have a smaller list of shopping possibilities to deal with than people who live in more densely populated locations.  If they're not all about the interwebs, they can write you a check, or get you nothing, or go off-registry.
  • Definitely consider if the guests can operate a computer. My fiance's grandparents are just learning how to text. They wouldn't have a clue where to start with an online gift registry. Plus some people don't feel comfortable shopping online due to identity theft. Maybe you could make a registry at one of the stores in their area that is more or less for them and not the guests from other areas.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • The places that you registered at are just fine. If your guests don't have physical access to a particular store it's very easy to order online. (gotta love technology). But there will be some guests who don't know how to order online and that's ok. In my experience with other family members getting married, not everyone gets you a gift off of your registry. You will have some guests that will get you something from a different store anyways. Some people don't even use the registry correctly to check for items that have already been purchased. That means you will get two of the same gifts. 

So you don't need to worry too much about your registry. Think of it a suggestion for people reference. In the end, your guests are going to give you whatever they want anyways.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards