Chit Chat

Too logical for my own good - Extreme Couponing.

Re: Too logical for my own good - Extreme Couponing.

• monkeysip said:

monkeysip said:

I don't have a problem with using sales/coupons in moderation (you know, how they're INTENDED to be used), but I can't help but thinking there's something economically, and sort of ethically, wrong with extreme couponing.

I mean, your grocery store (and the brands they stock) needs to make a profit.  Yes, some of these companies may be giant corporations that aren't affected by one lady and her extreme couponing, but if a lot of people did this, it could actually make a sizable dent in their profits.  Which isn't just bad for business... it's bad for the local economy and everyone the company employs.  So while you've just saved $300 on a lifetime supply of shampoo and cheetos, your neighbor working at the store isn't going to get a raise, or worse, might get fired.  Why don't you spend all that time you spend couponing actually contributing to the economy if you want to make money (or just spend it with your kids, or with a charity, or SOMETHING productive).

Sorry, maybe it's just the economics teacher in me.
    Coupon values are reimbursed by the manufacturer, not eaten by the grocer. Only sales/doubling impacts the store, and those are at the store's discretion. Most stores don't allow doubling/place limits on sales for this reason.
    That's why I also said the brands they stock.  Again, if its just a few ladies doing this, it's not a big deal.  But in theory, if a lot of shoppers did this, it would be economically detrimental.  I don't think it's ok for a few people to do what would be wrong for everyone to do.  Coupons are intended to help entice new customers, not give away virtually free product all the time.  
    But you also said some local cashier is going to lose her job over it and that just generally isn't the case. Not due to coupons, at least. Stores love the traffic coupons generate, and the potential for shoppers to add in other, more profitable items to their cart. And having worked for one of the country's largest coupon marketers for more than half my career, I can tell you the manufacturers love it too. They're plagued more by plummeting newspaper circulations and increasing paper costs than by extreme couponers.

• monkeysip said:

monkeysip said:

I don't have a problem with using sales/coupons in moderation (you know, how they're INTENDED to be used), but I can't help but thinking there's something economically, and sort of ethically, wrong with extreme couponing.

I mean, your grocery store (and the brands they stock) needs to make a profit.  Yes, some of these companies may be giant corporations that aren't affected by one lady and her extreme couponing, but if a lot of people did this, it could actually make a sizable dent in their profits.  Which isn't just bad for business... it's bad for the local economy and everyone the company employs.  So while you've just saved $300 on a lifetime supply of shampoo and cheetos, your neighbor working at the store isn't going to get a raise, or worse, might get fired.  Why don't you spend all that time you spend couponing actually contributing to the economy if you want to make money (or just spend it with your kids, or with a charity, or SOMETHING productive).

Coupon values are reimbursed by the manufacturer, not eaten by the grocer. Only sales/doubling impacts the store, and those are at the store's discretion. Most stores don't allow doubling/place limits on sales for this reason.
    That's why I also said the brands they stock.  Again, if its just a few ladies doing this, it's not a big deal.  But in theory, if a lot of shoppers did this, it would be economically detrimental.  I don't think it's ok for a few people to do what would be wrong for everyone to do.  Coupons are intended to help entice new customers, not give away virtually free product all the time.  
    But you also said some local cashier is going to lose her job over it and that just generally isn't the case. Not due to coupons, at least. Stores love the traffic coupons generate, and the potential for shoppers to add in other, more profitable items to their cart. And having worked for one of the country's largest coupon marketers for more than half my career, I can tell you the manufacturers love it too. They're plagued more by plummeting newspaper circulations and increasing paper costs than by extreme couponers.
    Well, if they're benefiting from the publicity of it, or if its bringing in revenue from other people, that's great.  I was just saying they're certainly not making much money off the extreme couponers themselves, and if A LOT of people did that, it wouldn't work.  

I'm also just bothered by this overall mentality of the extreme couponers that they can get a lot of stuff for nothing.  Being frugal is great.  Being cheap is not.  And there's a difference to me.

SaveSave
  • edited May 2015
    I used to coupon, not to this level of extreme, but I got amazing savings. The best deals are when you get overages, which my store allowed. 

There was one week when I literally bought 50 tubes of toothpaste because the toothpaste was on clearance for $0.98, I had a coupon for $1, and the store doubled it up to $2. I used 10 coupons per transaction (their maximum) and basically ended up with $10 in free groceries for every 10 tubes of toothpaste I bought.

Obviously I didn't NEED 50 tubes of toothpaste, but I literally saved more money than if I hadn't bought any toothpaste at all. I kept about 15 of them for DF and myself to last a couple of years and gave the rest away to friends and family and donated some to the food bank (our local food bank accepts any toiletry items).

The store that doubled coupons in my area was bought out by another store though, and now the nearest location of that chain is like 45 mins away. Definitely not worth the drive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• monkeysip said:

monkeysip said:

monkeysip said:

Well, if they're benefiting from the publicity of it, or if its bringing in revenue from other people, that's great.  I was just saying they're certainly not making much money off the extreme couponers themselves, and if A LOT of people did that, it wouldn't work.  

I'm also just bothered by this overall mentality of the extreme couponers that they can get a lot of stuff for nothing.  Being frugal is great.  Being cheap is not.  And there's a difference to me.

Oh their mentality is bunk for sure. Thankfully I don't think the majority of people think that way. :)

Although I do often get "don't you want a tall beer? It's on special for the same price as the short." "No thanks, I can't drink it before it gets warm." "But... it's more. For the same price." "I understand that but it will go to waste. And please also don't bring me a pickle with my sandwich." "But it's free!" Sigh. At least that's not quite as extreme.

• One woman said she wasn't a hoarder.  The difference according to her is that couponers dust, so since her stockpile was clean, she wasn't a hoarder

• One woman said she wasn't a hoarder.  The difference according to her is that couponers dust, so since her stockpile was clean, she wasn't a hoarder

Dusting is the line between hoarding and not.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I have a family of bunnies. How would YOU feel if someone murdered your entire family in front of you?! I shouldn't be labeled a hoarder, I should be labeled a saint!
  • monkeysip said:

monkeysip said:

Mobile is displaying in html so I can't bold, but this:

"I don't think it's ok for a few people to do what would be wrong for everyone to do."

Is basically what societies run on, and is my go-to whenever I have an ethical question. (Semi-related, overheard a guy at the airport saying he will drive to the front of a line of traffic then slide in because he "Hates traffic." OMG DO YOU REALLY THE REST OF US LOVE IT. Prick. )
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

(Semi-related, overheard a guy at the airport saying he will drive to the front of a line of traffic then slide in because he "Hates traffic." OMG DO YOU REALLY THE REST OF US LOVE IT. Prick. )

Actually, utilizing the additional lane until the last possible moment is actually the best move to help alleviate traffic.

But I agree, and feel like it's a douche move. It feels unfair.
  • (Semi-related, overheard a guy at the airport saying he will drive to the front of a line of traffic then slide in because he "Hates traffic." OMG DO YOU REALLY THE REST OF US LOVE IT. Prick. )

Actually, utilizing the additional lane until the last possible moment is actually the best move to help alleviate traffic.

I mean, the BEST move is for everyone to "zipper" and take turns, but that never happens...

So glad I don't have a driving commute anymore.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • (Semi-related, overheard a guy at the airport saying he will drive to the front of a line of traffic then slide in because he "Hates traffic." OMG DO YOU REALLY THE REST OF US LOVE IT. Prick. )

I mean, the BEST move is for everyone to "zipper" and take turns, but that never happens...

Well, just because people do not do the zipper, doesn't mean the ones that do are assholes.

Sure he verbiage sounded doucey, but I think those who do not use the zipper method are the ones making the traffic worse.  Not the ones who use it properly.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • APDSS22APDSS22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I coupon.  I haven't for the last couple of weeks because I haven't had a day off.  I usually like to spend a little time with the ads and cut the coupons and store them in my binder with plastic baseball card sleeves divided by tabs.  If I spend a little time at the beginning of the week setting up my shopping I spend a lot less time in the store.  If I buy 3 body washes when they're on sale, I don't have to spend the money later when they're not on sale.  It's also really nice to run out of a deodorant and be able to just grab another from the cupboard.  I mostly shop at Target because of the stacking.  I have a couple of cashiers who I prefer because they cheer me on when I save.  I have actually convinced a few of them to start trying to coupon themselves. 
  • I used to be a crazy couponer, with the filing system and everything. I had a binder that was separated between type and then alphabetized. It was a little crazy.

I didn't stockpile more than 4 things at a time, as I didn't get that many coupons to begin with (where do people find 50 of the same coupons?!) and I would use it on the bogo sales.

I ended up having to retire from couponing as it was taking over all my spare time. I did, however, get 60-80% off of my grocery bill consistently, and we eat pretty healthy, imo. If I had too many of one product, or bought things that were free/gave overage that I wouldn't use, I would donate it. 

imageimage

• I would like to know where people find these coupons, especially for real food.  I feel like the only coupons they have, at least in ads/newspapers, are for haircare, toothpaste, cat food, cereal, and some unhealthy snacks.  It's not like I ever see coupons for milk, meat, vegetables, bread, fruit, etc.  Maybe others find these types of coupons somewhere?

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:

I would like to know where people find these coupons, especially for real food.  I feel like the only coupons they have, at least in ads/newspapers, are for haircare, toothpaste, cat food, cereal, and some unhealthy snacks.  It's not like I ever see coupons for milk, meat, vegetables, bread, fruit, etc.  Maybe others find these types of coupons somewhere?

We had a coupon last week for a gallon of milk.   Granted it was attached to a package of Orero's you had to buy too.  :p

But I agree with you.  Even the episode that was filmed at Whole Foods didn't have a lot of whole foods like means and whole veggies.    I'm of the thought that just because a box or can  is slapped with "organic" doesn't mean its heathy.

• Extreme couponers buy coupons.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but there's companies out there that get coupons from who knows where, and resells them.  I also know some basically "network" with newspaper distributors to get the coupon inserts.  I know one that collects them from her grandmother's nursing home, a lot of the residents get newspaper deliveries but don't use the coupon inserts.  I applaud them for their resourcefulness but I do think that resourcefulness could be better applied at an actual paying job. 

I get "real food" coupon from my regular grocery store in mailers or on digital coupons. Otherwise yes, for the most part, coupons are only good for toiletries.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Extreme couponers buy coupons.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but there's companies out there that get coupons from who knows where, and resells them.  I also know some basically "network" with newspaper distributors to get the coupon inserts. 

Yea, one of my friends did this! She would buy coupon inserts for like $1.50 each. She'd post on FB about her "hauls" and it was kind of nifty, especially when I wanted to try a new cosmetic but didn't really want to buy it. I could always ask her if she had any of X brand of Y and if I could have one.

But aside from that, I really don't understand why she needed to buy 20 bottles of Pert Plus when neither her nor her bf use that shampoo.

She was the queen of white elephant gifts though. One year she "gifted" a glucose monitor and some chocolates. That was actually the highly prized item.
  • monkeysip said:

I would like to know where people find these coupons, especially for real food.  I feel like the only coupons they have, at least in ads/newspapers, are for haircare, toothpaste, cat food, cereal, and some unhealthy snacks.  It's not like I ever see coupons for milk, meat, vegetables, bread, fruit, etc.  Maybe others find these types of coupons somewhere?

Things like fresh meat and produce don't generally have a "manufacturer" so there's nobody to fund the coupon. The store will source them from whichever distributor has the best price/stock that week. And commodities like milk don't really have competitors when the same store - normally only one brand on the shelf - and people will buy it no matter what, no need to entice buyers. I get store coupons from Kroger for like "$3 off $10 in produce" but nothing specific.

• I always imagine that people who coupon must have much more brand loyalty than me... I can't imagine committing to using ten bottles of the same shampoo/ten tubes of the same toothpaste/ten sticks of the same deodorant etc.!  I rarely use the same brand of any of those things twice in a row.
  • The only time I stock up on toiletries is when it's buy 2 get one free, or the 5 for 20 dollar sales at Bath and Body works. If I have a coupon for something I want, I'll use it, but that's about it. 

• I always imagine that people who coupon must have much more brand loyalty than me... I can't imagine committing to using ten bottles of the same shampoo/ten tubes of the same toothpaste/ten sticks of the same deodorant etc.!  I rarely use the same brand of any of those things twice in a row.

I don't think it's brand loyalty.  Many seem to use whatever they get for free and will switch it up in 14 years when they finally run out and need more.  

• I used to be a crazy couponer, with the filing system and everything. I had a binder that was separated between type and then alphabetized. It was a little crazy.

I didn't stockpile more than 4 things at a time, as I didn't get that many coupons to begin with (where do people find 50 of the same coupons?!) and I would use it on the bogo sales.

I ended up having to retire from couponing as it was taking over all my spare time. I did, however, get 60-80% off of my grocery bill consistently, and we eat pretty healthy, imo. If I had too many of one product, or bought things that were free/gave overage that I wouldn't use, I would donate it. 

My best friend's mom owns a gas station. She has a newspaper stand inside the gas station, and all of the papers that don't sell at the end of the day just get recycled. So before she tosses the Sunday papers, she takes out the inserts for my mom and I. Depending on the week, sometimes there are a couple and sometimes there are a couple dozen.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• monkeysip said:

Things like fresh meat and produce don't generally have a "manufacturer" so there's nobody to fund the coupon. The store will source them from whichever distributor has the best price/stock that week. And commodities like milk don't really have competitors when the same store - normally only one brand on the shelf - and people will buy it no matter what, no need to entice buyers. I get store coupons from Kroger for like "$3 off $10 in produce" but nothing specific.

We have plenty of "brand name" dairy, meat, and produce products in our local grocery stores that have coupons all the time. Fresh Express salad, Kemps Milk and Gold'n Plump Chicken are some I can think of right now. And Target has coupons on produce pretty regularly. It's not unusual for me to get a Catalina or a mobile coupon for $0.50 off of bananas or $2 off of a $5 fresh produce purchase or whatever.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited June 2015
  • monkeysip said:

We have plenty of "brand name" dairy, meat, and produce products in our local grocery stores that have coupons all the time. Fresh Express salad, Kemps Milk and Gold'n Plump Chicken are some I can think of right now. And Target has coupons on produce pretty regularly. It's not unusual for me to get a Catalina or a mobile coupon for $0.50 off of bananas or $2 off of a $5 fresh produce purchase or whatever.
    I'm talking about bulk fresh items - you know who the producer of the ground chuck in the meat counter is? Do you have a choice of brand of apple from the table? No, you get whichever is there. And GENERALLY speaking, many stores only carry one brand of standard gallon cows milk.

Those Target coupons are most likely store coupons, not manufacturer. POS and mobile coupons - not so conducive to extreme couponing, better for stores since those actually do cost them money.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

(Semi-related, overheard a guy at the airport saying he will drive to the front of a line of traffic then slide in because he "Hates traffic." OMG DO YOU REALLY THE REST OF US LOVE IT. Prick. )

Glad I'm not the only one who wants everyone to zipper. I spent last weekend screaming "Zipper method, you stupid Illinois braindead fucks I hate this stupid fucking place so much!" while stuck in Chicago traffic.
    The first time I saw the zipper method in action (Iowa, motherfuckers) it blew my damn mind.
    I never knew it had a name until this thread.  I jut thought of it as common courtesy!
  • @lolo883. Your stores really only carry one brand of milk? That seems so odd to me. All the stores here (central IL) have at least 3 brands of milk: Prairie Farms, Deans, and store brand (Kroger, Jewel, Meijer, etc). I buy whatever is on sale that week.

It had not occurred to me that there wouldn't be a selection everywhere. Maybe it is because we have the dairy farms near here? Thinking about it now, I bet milk wouldn't go on sale so often if there was less competition in the area. I always learn something new on these boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards