Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon ideas for the pale and sunburn-prone?

I keep drooling over Hawaiian resorts and cruises to Mexico, but I'm very pale and sunburn very easily. Has anyone else with similarly vampiric skin successfully gone on a warm sunny vacation?

Failing that, does anyone have any ideas for a non-sunny honeymoon? We thought about exploring Seattle or Yellowstone or Napa, or maybe going to Disneyland since we both like roller coasters and there are lots of indoor places I could take refuge periodically.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Honeymoon ideas for the pale and sunburn-prone?

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I keep drooling over Hawaiian resorts and cruises to Mexico, but I'm very pale and sunburn very easily. Has anyone else with similarly vampiric skin successfully gone on a warm sunny vacation?

Failing that, does anyone have any ideas for a non-sunny honeymoon? We thought about exploring Seattle or Yellowstone or Napa, or maybe going to Disneyland since we both like roller coasters and there are lots of indoor places I could take refuge periodically.
    I have been to Mexico, Hawaii and Jamaica in the past two years with my super pale, easily sunburned skin.  I take SPF 30 and reapply all the time.  I also take a light long sleeve top to throw on for protection without overheating.  You can still do it!!!
  • Cruise to Alaska?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I have had two types of skin cancer and still take at least two tropical vacations per year. I bring tons and tons of sunscreen, a floppy hat, and sit under an umbrella when on the beach or at the pool.

• I burn very easily.  You just have to be obsessive over reapplying sunscreen.  The first time I went to Mexico I didn't even get much color because I reapplied continuosly.  You can also consider a rashguard which will offer some sun protection.  And a nice big hat.  I also was in Hawaii for 5 months and managed to avoid sunburn the entire time.  
  • I'm a pretty pale girl.  Do you know where I went on vacation and got the worse sunburn of my life?  Ireland.  I didn't even think to pack sunscreen.  It was terrible and really put a damper on my trip.

But, sunscreen has come a long way and is just so easy to apply!  I have been to Hawaii a few times now and have successfully avoided sunburns.  I use a 30SPF and have a floppy hat that I wear pretty much everywhere.  There is no need to be scared of sunny vacations when it's so easy to wear sunscreen. 

I used to grow up avoiding the sun because I hated sunscreen.  I live near the beach and when I would go, I would hide under an umbrella, towel, hat and shirts to avoid having to put on sunscreen.  Once the spray sunscreens came out, I started using them and stopped hiding.  I have since changed to Hawaiian tropics brand that doesn't smell or feel like sunscreen.  It's like I'm applying a lotion to my skin.  Even my H doesn't mind this brand and he likes it better than the sprays.

Don't forget to re-apply as often as you feel you need!  I try to do every 30 minutes when I'm out, especially if I am sweating or swimming.

• edited May 2015

One note on less sunny places - I live in the Pacific Northwest, where it's cloudy a lot of the time, and you can still get burned just as easily on overcast days. You're not necessarily going to be better off just because someplace isn't as sunny (though yes - tropical locations on the equator=more direct UV rays, so that is something to consider).
    I live in the PNW, too, and I burn pretty much every time I go to the coast; it's always overcast and I always forget extra sunscreen. I also managed to not only burn in Chamonix, France, but I also broke out in hives from the high-altitude UV. So I've always been afraid to go anywhere tropical, maybe based more in emotion than logic.

I have since changed to Hawaiian tropics brand that doesn't smell or feel like sunscreen.  It's like I'm applying a lotion to my skin.  Even my H doesn't mind this brand and he likes it better than the sprays.

Don't forget to re-apply as often as you feel you need!  I try to do every 30 minutes when I'm out, especially if I am sweating or swimming.

Which Hawaiian Tropics in particular? The Sheer Touch line? For that matter, does anyone else have any sunscreen recs? I've been using Neutrogena, but I've got a year to experiment with your favorites.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm pretty fair and burn too.  I actually get an allergic reaction when I head anywhere south of Florida if I' not careful.  I use lots of sunscreen and always make sure I'm under trees/palapas or shady areas when near the pool or beach.  Use hats, coverups, etc.    I would never skip a tropical destination for this reason....you just need to prepare!
  • I don't know what your budget is, but there are cruises to exotic places like Japan, Norway, or the Baltic (Scandinavia and Russia).  Not much in the way of beaches, but truly memorable.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I'm super pale and have taken lots of tropical vacations without incident.  Invest in some Neutrogena SPF 100 and apply once about 30 minutes before heading outside, and then every time you get out of the water (or every 3 hours, whichever happens first).  As long as you don't miss a spot, you'll be fine.  It's not cheap, but it works really really well.  I also usually wear a sunhat made of sun-protective fabric with a large brim, to protect my scalp and cover my face a bit.  And if umbrellas are available on the beach, set yourself up under one.

If you really want to go to the beach, do it!  Just be diligent about your sun protection.

• I burn very easily too, and I sometimes tire with constantly applying sunscreen. We opted to go to Italy, and honestly it really was not that expensive. We went for 10 days and booked an apartment through Airbnb. 
  • We went to Maine for our July honeymoon. It was amazing. The grand canyon is also spectacular and pale skin approved...at least for me ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Girl go to Hawaii if that's what you want. Just bring a shit load of sunscreen/hat/long sleeves and sit in the shade most of the time.

I was also going to suggest an Alaskan cruise but CMG beat me to it! @jenna8984 just went to Iceland and said it was awesome - that might work depending on the time if year.
    *********************************************************************************

• True story, good thinking @southernbelle0915 ! Iceland was absolutely the coolest place ever. We went in March and it was still very much winter with wind and snow. But it was so neat to bundle up and go walk around seeing the frozen glaciers and everything. I've heard it's just as neat in summer because the scenery looks completely different when it's all green and lush. And in the summer they have daylight for like 20 hours, but it's not scortching hot sun that will burn you, it's still temperate like PNW. And the Blue Lagoon natural geothermal spas are the coolest thing ever whether it's summer or winter! Oh yea, and the food and locals were wonderful.

• I say if you want to go to the beach, go to the beach! Just take lots of sunscreen! I'm very fair skinned as well and burn easily so I understand your dilemma. I usually just reapply sunscreen as needed. If you want to avoid the sunscreen/hat/long sleeves in the sun, I think Iceland would be amazing! I also have been to Ireland but I went in February when it was cooler and I was wearing warmer clothes so sunburn wasn't an issue and it was still a beautiful place to visit. I was going to recommend an Alaskan cruise as well. You could get a balcony room so you can be outside and enjoy the sights from your room and also have some shade. Maybe you could check out the northern lights?
  • Sorry, I missed your response to me earlier.  Yes, I use the Sheer Touch Hawaiian Tropics formula sunscreen.  I buy it at Target, I find it's most reasonably priced there. clicky

Also, based on your follow up, it just seems as if you forget to re-apply.  It won't matter which sunscreen you use if you forget to re-apply!  So if you need, set an alarm on your phone or do something that will make you remember its time to reapply.

If you do go to Hawaii, I recommend stocking up on your sunscreen from your home and bringing it with you.  Everything in Hawaii is more expensive, so I always bring enough sunscreen for my entire trip.

• Come to London!
    Mind you, I'm allergic to the sun, and managed a trip to Cuba this last December with the help of factor 50 sunblock and a course of steroids.

• I now have tabs open on trips to Hawaii and Cabo San Lucas, huge floppy hats, sunglasses, and high SPF sunscreen. If we do end up going somewhere warm, I think my fitbit and its silent alarm will be coming with me to remind me about the sunscreen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I now have tabs open on trips to Hawaii and Cabo San Lucas, huge floppy hats, sunglasses, and high SPF sunscreen. If we do end up going somewhere warm, I think my fitbit and its silent alarm will be coming with me to remind me about the sunscreen.

Love the silent alarms, I'm stealing that idea!
  • AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    edited May 2015

I'm a pretty pale girl.  Do you know where I went on vacation and got the worse sunburn of my life?  Ireland.  I didn't even think to pack sunscreen.  It was terrible and really put a damper on my trip.

But, sunscreen has come a long way and is just so easy to apply!  I have been to Hawaii a few times now and have successfully avoided sunburns.  I use a 30SPF and have a floppy hat that I wear pretty much everywhere.  There is no need to be scared of sunny vacations when it's so easy to wear sunscreen. 

I used to grow up avoiding the sun because I hated sunscreen.  I live near the beach and when I would go, I would hide under an umbrella, towel, hat and shirts to avoid having to put on sunscreen.  Once the spray sunscreens came out, I started using them and stopped hiding.  I have since changed to Hawaiian tropics brand that doesn't smell or feel like sunscreen.  It's like I'm applying a lotion to my skin.  Even my H doesn't mind this brand and he likes it better than the sprays.

So I'm also pale and was going to suggest Scandinavia, Ireland, Iceland, Canada, or Alaska. But FI and I decided we are going to honeymoon in Ireland in July 2016 and I completely would have forgotten to pack sunscreen! Thank you @OliveOilsMom.

But don't let having pale skin stop you from going somewhere warm and sunny! We just didn't want a tropical honeymoon because we live in SoCal by the beach already. I just make sure to apply a bunch of SPF 50+ sunscreen when I go outside here. 

ETA: I have no idea where that semi colon after the first paragraph came from. It's not showing up when I go to edit my comment. Edit 2: Disappeared after my first edit.

• Mostly Irish here... SPF 100 from Banana Boat is a life saver for me in summer. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as SPF 100. I am so getting some!
  • Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as SPF 100. I am so getting some!

This actually is the same/ no more effective than SPF50. The SPF rating means it takes you that many times longer to burn that you would without sunblock. So if your skin type normally burns in 15 minutes, then SPF 4 will protect you for 60 minutes (4 times your burn time). SPF 50 would protect you for 750 minutes (12.5 hours). So doubling that would do nothing for you since you wouldn't be in the sun for double the 12 hours. You get what I mean? It would last longer but not be more effective for the first 12 hours that you're in the sun.

(Obviously re-applying is necessary when sweating and swimming and all that, I would not recommend just putting on 50 once for 12 hours but that is technically how the SPF is calculated).

• jenna8984 said:

Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as SPF 100. I am so getting some!

This actually is the same/ no more effective than SPF50. The SPF rating means it takes you that many times longer to burn that you would without sunblock. So if your skin type normally burns in 15 minutes, then SPF 4 will protect you for 60 minutes (4 times your burn time). SPF 50 would protect you for 750 minutes (12.5 hours). So doubling that would do nothing for you since you wouldn't be in the sun for double the 12 hours. You get what I mean? It would last longer but not be more effective for the first 12 hours that you're in the sun.

(Obviously re-applying is necessary when sweating and swimming and all that, I would not recommend just putting on 50 once for 12 hours but that is technically how the SPF is calculated).

Totally true.  The most I use is 50, and the only difference I notice with the lotion between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is that the SPF 50 takes longer to rub in.  SPF 30 blocks 96.7% of UVB radiation, and 98% for SPF 50.  The difference is minimal.  Reapplying is key to avoid sunburn. No SPF 100 will prevent sunburn, and there is no SPF that 100% blocks UVB radiation.
  • larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    I'm a ginger living in a cold climate and I'm going to aruba! My plan is to build up a base tan (think light summer glow) at the tanner, wear an ass ton of SPF 80 when I get there. I also bought a long sleeved SPF shirt from amazon  and I have some beautiful big floppy sunhats. Almost all of my sundresses are loose and practically see through, but they go down to my elbow and knees. 

I bought this in blue. It won't be much protection but it's better than bare skin!!

We will also be renting beach chairs that sit under an umbrella for the week. 

Don't let the possible sunburn stop you. There are ways around it!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @larrygaga You know what you're doing! I got up at 6am every day of the honeymoon to reserve a hut- I naturally wake up by 6:30 anyways so that wasn't a big deal for me. But it was so amazing to sit in the shade- I couldn't imagine sitting in that caribbean sun all day. When we used the resort's kayak and paddleboards, I wore a shirt like you're talking about. And don't be afraid to buy as much lotion as you need...we hit up the gift shop for more 3 times and it was well worth the money to not be burnt (and surprisingly it was only about $4 more than at home).

• jenna8984  I had to learn real quick if I wanted to live long enough to make more redheads.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• delujm0delujm0 member
    Oh wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as SPF 100. I am so getting some!

Totally true.  The most I use is 50, and the only difference I notice with the lotion between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is that the SPF 50 takes longer to rub in.  SPF 30 blocks 96.7% of UVB radiation, and 98% for SPF 50.  The difference is minimal.  Reapplying is key to avoid sunburn. No SPF 100 will prevent sunburn, and there is no SPF that 100% blocks UVB radiation.
    This is true...i just like the Neutrogena SPF 100 the best.  i feel like it covers me more even when i'm sweating than the Copportone SPF 50-70 that i also will use occassionally.  I am actually allergic to something they put in Banana Boat sunscreen...and i always wind up with a rash.  I think Neutrogena is the most skin-friendly for me, but i agree 50 SPF is probably technically enough.
  • I'm a red head pasty white girl from north Canada.  I've been to a lot of hot places - Hawaii (we got married there), Mexico, Cuba, the Middle East/Africa.  Wear your sunscreen, wear a hat and stay under an umbrella on the beach/pool.  Personally, it gets too hot for me in direct sun, so I prefer the shade.   You can absolutely go and not get burned.  

• I am naturally reheaded, Irish, porcelain pale with sensitive skin that burns easily and I've gone to Mexico several times. I also lived in Florida for half my life, so I am well-versed in how to protect my skin. Heck, I even sunbathe-- wearing and reapplying sunscreen regularly.

I recommend you just get something with 30 SPF or above (though above is generally a waste) AND DO NOT FORGET TO REAPPLY. Even if it says waterproof, reapply after getting out of the water. Get out of the water, dry off, reapply. If you think you might be burning, reapply. Don't trust how you look in the mirror (sometimes I have a delayed burn happen, where I don't see it until later that day) and don't trust other people telling you you're fine.

That's my two cents.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards