Chit Chat

Bridal Boot Camp

l9il9i member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
A local workout facility is offering bridal boot camp.  They will help tailor a multi-week program to get you in shape for your wedding.  You AND your bridal party!  Can't forget about those slacker bridesmaids!  

But seriously, just no.

Re: Bridal Boot Camp

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    l9i said:

A local workout facility is offering bridal boot camp.  They will help tailor a multi-week program to get you in shape for your wedding.  You AND your bridal party!  Can't forget about those slacker bridesmaids!  

But seriously, just no.
    Um, okay. It's a business trying make money. Why is that surprising?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • l9i said:

But seriously, just no.
    This bears repeating.

Lurkers, take note: you do not get to dictate anything about your BMs' bodies. Nope nope nope.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• l9il9i member
    KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.
    What's surprising is the poor taste.  I just wonder if they've actually gotten interest in this.
  • l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.
    What's surprising is the poor taste.  I just wonder if they've actually gotten interest in this.
    Oh I'm sure they have. One of my friends posts constantly her working out in her "sweating for the wedding" tank top.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.

I don't think its in poor taste. I assume the company didn't say "bring your WP in so you don't have fatties in your pictures."

They are offering a service. Maybe some brides like to workout with their friends.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This doesn't seem like a new thing to me - I've definitely seen it before.  Most people don't like to work out alone, and a boot camp sounds like a great idea for some people to stick to it!  I'm not a work out person, but I could see it being fun to connect with other local brides too.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Pretty sure my BMs would have (rightfully) killed me if I ever suggested a bridal bootcamp for them!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • KatWAG said:

l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.

I don't think its in poor taste. I assume the company didn't say "bring your WP in so you don't have fatties in your pictures."

They are offering a service. Maybe some brides like to workout with their friends.

Honeyfund is just a business trying to make money too. Doesn't make it not tacky.

And I really can't think of a non-tacky way to say to your friends, "Hey, let's do this boot camp so we can all look better for MY WEDDING." Not "hey I'm going to start taking spin or yoga or training for a half marathon, anyone else interested?" If you want to sweat your ass off for your wedding, more power to you, but asking your friends to tone up for your wedding is gross.
  • l9il9i member
    Maybe I'm in the minority then that thought this was a bad idea.  I could see it being more successful if it was for a group of brides (since summer is a pretty popular time).  However, for me personally I could never see setting up what appears to be more like personal training/small group sessions with just me and my bridesmaids.  To me it seems way too much like you're pushing a workout agenda to your BMs.  Maybe if you all already work out together normally, but I know with my wedding or other weddings I've been in that would not be the case at all.
  • In my experience, plenty of people want to get in shape for a big event where their photo is likely to be taken.  Of course, the level of commitment to that varies wildly.  I don't have BMs, but my mom and aunt as soon as I got engaged were all about "OMG we need to get in shape!"  Maybe the idea fizzled because I never really got it together, but they wanted to start a weight loss challenge for my sister's wedding too. 

I wish now that I had gotten together the motivation to get in shape, and I'm sure a trainer would have been an asset.  A small group is a great way to look at it!  As long as nobody is forcing you to join - which would be a bride problem, not a gym business problem.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    edited May 2015
    yogapants said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.

Honeyfund is just a business trying to make money too. Doesn't make it not tacky

And I really can't think of a non-tacky way to say to your friends, "Hey, let's do this boot camp so we can all look better for MY WEDDING." Not "hey I'm going to start taking spin or yoga or training for a half marathon, anyone else interested?" If you want to sweat your ass off for your wedding, more power to you, but asking your friends to tone up for your wedding is gross.

Right. But no one faults Honeyfund for trying to make money. We just tell brides not to use the services. Same goes here.  The workout place is trying to make money. If they suggest something tacky, don't partake.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree it's a bad idea because they tacked on "and your bridesmaids!" I belonged to a gym a few years ago that did bridal bootcamps, but it definitely appeared (from the look of the flyer) that it was geared towards brides with lots of arm and back toning because that's what shows most in most dresses. 
    Maybe the company included bridesmaids as an attempt to point out that the sessions weren't exclusive to ladies with engagement rings, but it probably came across poorly. Maybe they were also thinking women like working out with their friends. But nothing screams brideszilla more than, "We all need to tone up to look good in MY pictures, so come to this class with me!"

• I would only do a bridal bootcamp with myself and my mother, but she's a personal trainer and fitness buff so she has suggested it in the past. She will try any workout class and always tries to get me or my sister to do a class or something with her. I would never suggest my bridesmaids do it. That feels really icky.

I have a cheesy Sweating for the Wedding shirt but I wear it privately in my home when everyone is out at I have no shame.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• KatWAG said:

l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.

I agree. My bridesmaids have been asking me if we can all do a bridal bootcamp this summer for fun. I would probably sign up for something like this and tactfully spread the word to my bridal party (without any implication or hinting or asking) because they're genuinely interested in doing something like this together with me as a fun wedding thing. Maybe it's a know-your-crowd thing. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• jenna8984 said:

l9i said:

KatWAG said:

l9i said:

But seriously, just no.
    Oh I'm sure they have. One of my friends posts constantly her working out in her "sweating for the wedding" tank top.

What's your point? I have (and wear) a sweating for the wedding tank top. I am. I'm not shoving it down my bridesmaids throats just because I want to lose some weight for my wedding. They could all weigh 700 lbs and they'd still be my best friends.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ever notice there are no groom bootcamps? For the groom and his groomsmen? 

No articles and diet tips on how to look his best in his tux?

Because ya know, women, we all need to be on a diet. All of us. At all times. In fact if you're not dieting you're doing it wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards