Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

He called it off.

Been with who was my fiance for 5years, and finally we got engaged in June. We put the wedding for Next year in Nov. since we're working around his military schedule. But he just called it off... Everyone already knows and is expecting me to get married. How do I say that its been called off and how do I prepare myself for their comments with out feeling like the world is going to come collapsing down.

Re: He called it off.

• Options

Bottom line...If HE called it off that is a pretty good indication that it would have never worked long term.  Consider yourself very lucky that you found out now and you are not going to waste good years of your life!  I wouldn't feel the need to give an "explanation" to anyone...only to say...it just didn't work out.  You WILL look back on this and be glad it turned out the way it did!  Enjoy your life and move forward!

• Options
    I am sorry. You really have no need whatsoever to go into details. As dhblanda said, "it just didn't work out" is enough. Good luck in the future.
  • Options
    Honestly, you have every right to NOT explain anything. If you're hurting too much right now, you can easily say "Please ask ex-FI about it. I do not wish to talk about it." 
  • Options
    my first fiance called it off, and when people asked..i just said we weren't in the same place in our lives...(he was in the military too). People don't need to know. Honestly, i didn't get very many questions about why. People just said OMG so sorry. And then you move on...and once you smile at them, they move on from wondering too.  :) Good luck girlfriend, and be careful if he comes crawling back. 
  • Options
    My sister's ex-FI also called it off. Now she is married with 2 kids. Like PP said, be glad it happened now and not after you were married.Anyone who is going to start asking questions is rude and you don't owe anyone an explanation. Best of luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First, I am very sorry that you're going through this. It is absolutely awful!  As weird as this may seem, it is better for this relationship to have ended before the wedding than after.  That's just a bunch of words right now but I assure you, things will eventually get better.  It takes a lot of time, but you will get through it.  I've been there.

Second, there is no reason for you to make a formal announcement the engagement is over.  Ask a couple of your closest surrogates (best friend, mom, cousin, whomever) to let other friends and relatives know what has happened as the topic arises.  No one has to make phone calls or anything like that, they can just provide cover and let others know the wedding has been called off.  No explanations are necessary.

((((HUGS))))
  • Options
    You didn't mail anything out right?  So if it was just word of mouth, you don't have to say anything to anyone.  They will know it's not happening based on the fact that they didn't receive anything in the mail or more word of mouth.  And if anyone asks just tell them something simple like " we realized it wasn't a good fit so we amicably agreed to go our separate ways and wish each other the best."  There's no need to go into details and if someone is rude enough to keep asking why, you can just say "There were a lot reasons that I won't go into right now.  But letting it go was the best decision for us." 
  • Options
    I've been in your shoes before.  I was with my ex for about a year and a half when we got engaged and we had set our wedding for a year out and 6 months later, he broke it off and kicked me out.  It was quite devastating but looking back it was absolutely the best thing to have ever happened to me, second of course to me meeting my fiance. Laughing My family and friends didn't question what happened.  They were all supportive and in some cases relieved.  Like the other girls have said, for those that do ask, simply tell them it just wasnt the right fit and things didn't work out.  No need to go into detail.  Everything will smooth out soon enough!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards