Chit Chat
Options

How did you spend your cash wedding gifts?

Re: How did you spend your cash wedding gifts?

• Options
    We spent a little of the cash on the honeymoon but the rest of it went towards getting stuff we wanted off the registry.  We had a small-ish wedding (75 guests about 25 couples/families) and ended up with about $2,000 plus some physical gifts.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Most of it went in the bank. Some of it was just spending money (I don't carry cash generally, so before we took it in, I'd tell H if I was grabbing a twenty) .

Anniversary
  • Options
    We haven't really discussed what we are going to do with cash if we get any. We have a registry so I suppose we will see what gets bought and what we want right away from what is left. Like I know we want new dishes. That's on our registry, but if no one buys us that, we will probably just get it ourselves. 

Otherwise, I'd expect we will use it on the honeymoon or put it in savings. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

The cash gifts we got just went to us individually (the cash gift from my grandma went into my account to reimburse me for my dress, all the others were from DH's side of the family so he put them in his account to reimburse for wedding costs - I don't really care what he used the money for specifically).

I honestly never even thought about this before, it just didn't really matter in our lives. I suppose it we were more equal contributors of the wedding or of our lifestyle then it would make more of a difference.

• Options
    Most of it went into savings. It'll probably get used for Fufu's nursery.
  • Options
    We paid off H's student loans
  • Options
    We took a big chunk for spending money on the honeymoon, but then I put most of that back into savings when I got paid when we got back.  There's a few things off the registry we still want, so we'll buy that stuff, then the rest will probably stay in savings.

• Options

I didn't get any gifts for my second wedding since we eloped.

For my first wedding, we had a new home built and we happened to close on it just prior to the wedding. We were moving from a much smaller space, so we used the wedding money to furnish the new home.

• Options
    We put it into savings. 

When we wrote our TY notes, we told people we planned to use it to fix up the house we'd just bought. Which is true, we did end up doing a bunch of projects.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We paid ourselves back for the wedding, bought a few more things off our registry, put a chunk in savings, paid down some debt, and put a big chunk in our honeymoon fund (which we're leaving for in less than two weeks!  Yay!!!)
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    I think the only things we bought off our registry were covered by gift cards we got at the shower and Macy's rewards.

• Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    We haven't really talked about this either. Right now it's all in joint savings.

We just bought a house, so they money will likely go towards furnishing and landscaping at the new place. We are going to have rooms that need furniture and a backyard H is really excited to work on. We're also doing a honeymoon in the winter, so we'll probably use some of that money on the honeymoon. We don't have any firm plans for it yet.
  • Options
    BlergbotBlergbot member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    We paid off my student loans.
  • Options
    We paid for our honeymoon. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I really want to pay off one of my higher-interest student loans, but DF doesn't think that's a good idea.

I think we'll probably end up using a little bit of it to get the stuff we really wanted off of the registry but didn't get, and put the rest in savings for a house downpayment/furnishing/related costs in a few months.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

We haven't received anything yet (wedding isn't til September) but we should probably come up with a plan ahead of time. 

My thought is to use half to replenish my savings (which will be pretty drained after this wedding, since FI just drained his in Feb to buy our house), and then the other half to put towards house stuff.  We dropped about 22k right after buying the house on an air conditioner, driveway, and window treatments (downside of new construction), and we also have to do at least some basic landscaping this year... which is going to be around 10k.

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    It all went into the bank towards a down payment for when we find the right house to buy.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    We moved halfway across the country shortly after the wedding. The move was partially funded by my new job, but we used wedding money to pay for the remainder. We also bought a new dining room table, since our old one was really beat up (and didn't really fit the new space).

The rest of the money was put away - some went to boost our emergency fund and the rest went to be invested towards a down payment for a house someday.
  • Options
    First joint account, which we still haven't touched because it's also going to be used for our downpayment on a house. 

BUT, if all continues to go well, it looks like we'll be breaking that bad boy open soon!!!

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Options
    levieenroselevieenrose member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    @lolo883--

Haha, I always thought it was the glass windows that made French doors "French." I had to look up what you meant for the fridge.

BTW, I'm pretty jealous of your list of fancy new appliances!

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Options

WOOOO as soon as the AmEx bill comes in (POINTS!), some of it will be buying me EVERY stinkin' brand new appliance I just ordered for the new house! French door refrigerator with bottom freezer and filtered water/ice through the door. Gas range with double convection ovens. Ultra quiet high capacity dishwasher. Hood microwave with sensor cooking. HE top load washer with steam sanitize for baby diapers. High capacity gas dryer with PowerDry. Gettin' all hot 'n' bothered just thinking about it!

How jealous am I right now?! I hate my fridge. It is a side by side and I don't think either side is big enough. But we can't justify replacing it because it works just fine.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

WOOOO as soon as the AmEx bill comes in (POINTS!), some of it will be buying me EVERY stinkin' brand new appliance I just ordered for the new house! French door refrigerator with bottom freezer and filtered water/ice through the door. Gas range with double convection ovens. Ultra quiet high capacity dishwasher. Hood microwave with sensor cooking. HE top load washer with steam sanitize for baby diapers. High capacity gas dryer with PowerDry. Gettin' all hot 'n' bothered just thinking about it!

How jealous am I right now?! I hate my fridge. It is a side by side and I don't think either side is big enough. But we can't justify replacing it because it works just fine.
    Then should I not also tell you we got Kitchenaid/Whirlpool/Maytag employee pricing plus an extra 10% off? :)

• Options

Damn. 

And here I am hoping we scrape up $500 for an inexpensive cookware set.

Damn. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Damn. 

Damn. 
    Well, you don't have 220 guests to deal with. :)

• Options

sarahufl said:

Then should I not also tell you we got Kitchenaid/Whirlpool/Maytag employee pricing plus an extra 10% off? :)
    Rude.

Kidding, that is exciting. Also- how very adult that we are envious of other's kitchen appliances? I do have a double Viking oven and this amazing Viking range, so my kitchen isn't all bad :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    sarahufl said:

Rude.

Kidding, that is exciting. Also- how very adult that we are envious of other's kitchen appliances? I do have a double Viking oven and this amazing Viking range, so my kitchen isn't all bad :)

GAH knife in the stomach. OK you got me there.

• Options

Damn. 

Damn. 
    Well, you don't have 220 guests to deal with. :)
    Aaaaaaaand there's the kicker. I don't think dealing with 220 people would be worth it hahaha. Even for all those appliances......
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

This is what I want! I want one of these sooo bad!!!
  • Options

sarahufl said:

Rude.

GAH knife in the stomach. OK you got me there.
    So no go on your teal one?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards