Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Re: Name Changing

• I was about to post about this too! I don't mind putting extra time towards the name changing process so I'm wondering if it's worth it!
  • Check out this post.  http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-change-kits

Changing your name isn't that time consuming, I wouldn't recommend paying to have it done.  Start with the SS office once you receive your marriage certificate and then go to the DL office, there is a waiting period of 24 - 48 hours after you notify the SS office before your new name will show up in the DL system, check with your state on the time period.  Most of your accounts can be changed once you have your updated name on your DL and a copy of your marriage certificate. 

• Thanks for your post! I actually bought it and after reading that cancelled it. I guess I just get flustered with all the people to contact - three banks, three universities, insurance, etc on top of the legal part of it. But I'll save my $15 and do it myself :P
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_name-changing-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:83b6f6be-df2c-4dac-a6e9-75e7da68fba6Post:9b9f4eb2-82e2-4009-910f-0243e9699d78">Re: Name Changing</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your post! I actually bought it and after reading that cancelled it. I guess I just get flustered with all the people to contact - three banks, three universities, insurance, etc on top of the legal part of it. But I'll save my $15 and do it myself :P
    Posted by FutureMrsMiller25[/QUOTE]

The thing to consider with those types of services is that it's almost more work for you to pay to have it done because you have to give them all the information for every place you need your name changed, account or ID numbers, phone numbers, documents, etc.  By the time you get all that stuff together, you could already be done changing your name.

The ONLY places I had to go in person was the SS office (not every state requires this even) and the DMV.  Other than that, I changed everything via email, phone or fax.  And I just did them as I remembered it, not all at once.
    Anniversary
  • No. It was REALLY easy to do it myself. There's no rush to do everything at once. Start with SS, then Drivers License, then bank, then CC's, etc.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I didnt have to wait 24-48 hours as PP stated... I took my license and went right to the SS office and filled out the form there, they then gave me a temp paper form of my SS card, immediately from there I went over to the DMV...did they same thing, gave them my license, filled out a form, they took my picture and printed out a new license that day.  From there I went to the bank and went through the same process. All my licenses for my job and my direct deposit and what not for work i was able to fax information over for... I was able to get everything done in one half day.  Good Luck!!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards