Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Wedding Dress- After the Day

I am so confused about what to do with my wedding dress after the big day! My dress is Huge and I honestly don't have room to store it, and I can't imagine my potential daughter wanting to wear it. But at the same time,. I want to keep it around to look at and remind me of the wedding. I have been thinking about having my dress made into a quilt, a vintage wedding ring pattern incorporating my dress and a bridesmaids dress. I want it to be a family heirloom, what do you think?

Re: Wedding Dress- After the Day

• My best friend after her wedding used her dress to make her future children's christening gown. They had their baby used only part of her train and some of the beading. They had a girl so they are using the rest of the dress material for her first communion dress. I plan on doing the samewith my dress. It was so cool to have your new baby wearing something from the day my husband and I started our life together. Like you I can't imagine anyone (kids or FDIL) wanting to wear my dress... I didn't wwant to wear anyone elses.
  • My SIL had her big poufy dress made into a bedskirt for her daughter's bassinet.  It is really cool looking and an heirloom her daughter now uses for her dolls.

Personally, I took mine to the cleaners and had it cleaned like a regular dress while I figure out what I am going to do with it.  I figured this way it's at least clean enough to put into the closet for now.  I know that any future kids are not going to want to wear my dress.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • I am having mine made into a quilt.  I was in the same position as you and wanted to be able to do something with it! It will make a great family heirloom someday and will serve as a reminder of our wedding day much more frequently than if it were just in a box!

I also included my rehearsal dinner dress, and my MOH gave me her dress to include in it too. I was sad to give up my rehearsal dinner dress, but I know when I'm older and it wouldn't fit or be in style anyway, I'll be thankful that I did!

Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am donating mine to Brides Against Breast Cancer per the suggestion of someone here on the attire board. It just seems to me it will do more good there then in a box in my house. I understand most people would not want to give up their wedding dress though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_wedding-dress-after-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8401b604-29d4-4c81-beee-402b777041b2Post:d33368d4-bb0c-4320-9127-3aad0e0ad898">Re: Wedding Dress- After the Day</a>:
    [QUOTE]My best friend after her wedding used her dress to make her future children's christening gown. They had their baby used only part of her train and some of the beading. They had a girl so they are using the rest of the dress material for her first communion dress. I plan on doing the samewith my dress. It was so cool to have your new baby wearing something from the day my husband and I started our life together. Like you I can't imagine anyone (kids or FDIL) wanting to wear my dress... I didn't wwant to wear anyone elses.
    Posted by plessjm[/QUOTE]

i LOVE this idea,
  • If I had room I would love to get a huge shadowbox display case but I have nowhere to put something like that. My dress is still hanging in the hall by my bathroom. I'm not sure what to do with it but I love looking at it when I walk by. I don't really want to turn it into a quilt. Hubby wants to sell it and I can't even imagine selling it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards