Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

marriage license

After the wedding ceremony do I sign the marriage license with my maiden name or married name?

Re: marriage license

• edited October 2012
    I think it varies by state? Most people I have asked say sign your maiden name, but a few signed their married name. I would ask your officiant.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_marriage-license-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:86e8f448-79e1-4366-a884-ca14d8f125c0Post:832a0f23-eff9-4197-8069-6b235cbfb037">marriage license</a>:
    [QUOTE]After the wedding ceremony do I sign the marriage license with my maiden name or married name?
    Posted by stephdi7971[/QUOTE]

<div>In many states, the couple does not sign the marriage license  - only the officient and witnesses do.</div>
  • You name doesn't magically change once you get married. Your legal name will still be your maiden name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had to sign my maiden name.  Ask your officiant...they'll know.
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
  • iowa  is the married name, it even states that on the certificte!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_marriage-license-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:86e8f448-79e1-4366-a884-ca14d8f125c0Post:5944e513-9859-4998-ae62-48e1f6196ea5">Re: marriage license</a>:
    [QUOTE]iowa  is the married name, it even states that on the certificte!
    Posted by shanliann[/QUOTE]
    What happens if you are not changing your name?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • coopsbabycoopsbaby member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited October 2012
    Hoboken- You would sign whatever you plan on going by after marriage. It's the same in Wisconsin.
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • In South Carolina it said bride's signature, not wife so I signed with my maiden name. Technically I think it should be your maiden name because there has been no offical change at that point. When you apply for your new social security card it becomes offical. 
    ~Emily~
  • Do your names appear printed on the marriage certificate? I would sign as your name appears on it (so maiden name, most likely.)
  • There's no "official" moment when your name is changed. You can start using your married name as soon as you please. I know I changed my name with my job and the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) long before I changed it on my social security card. I just showed them my marriage license.

I would just ask the officiant if it doesn't specify on the form.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards