Registry and Gift Forum

The only appropriate place to vent my excitement about gifts!

Our wedding is a little over 2 months away. STD's have gone out, but not invites.  But... gifts have started to arrive. We've received like 5 so far. 

I'm a little embarrassed to admit how exciting this is. I got home yesterday and there was our full luggage set and Cuisinart food processor.  Not since I was a child and believed in Santa have I been so excited to see gifts arrive.  Just a big old pile of boxes outside our front door after a tough day of work. 

I realize this is childish, and it makes me feel greedy and materialistic.  But I can't help it. The whole reason I registered for these things was that I wanted them!  And now they are arriving!  Is it ok to just bask in this a bit? FI and I are barely back on our feet after some rough times during the recession. Most of our stuff is second-hand and beat up. Our couch is an abomination (no, we didn't register for a new couch). I never thought I'd care so much about new stuff, but it turns out, it sure makes me feel loved. I am not just happy for the things, I am incredibly grateful to the people who sent them, for caring enough to do so and hopefully coming to the wedding. If anything, it's more motivation to show them all a hell of a good time. I truly hope that as time goes by, when I use this serving bowl or that appliance, I'll remember who sent it and appreciate them. 

Also I am excited to give away some of our old stuff (not the really crappy stuff, maybe just the miss-matched and college-era stuff) to my co-workers who are just starting out and in their first apartments. That's pretty much how I acquired all of my starting-out household stuff. I'd have been super excited if someone gave me 5 wine glasses or a decent suitcase. 

Re: The only appropriate place to vent my excitement about gifts!

• Yay gifts! By all means, bask away! And then open the boxes, check that all parts are accounted for and nothing is broken, and send thank you notes to the givers.

IMO it is totally okay to squee privately over your wedding gifts. We all know we shouldn't expect anything but people do like to give gifts and they're nice to receive, obviously. As long as you are properly gracious about it in public, you're good.
  • Gifts are exciting, so yay gifts! Ditto PP, send your thank you ASAP and enjoy this time leading up to your big day :)

Anniversary
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Omg I'm with you! My shower invites just went out and I'm looking at my registry daily to see what people are buying. I just got notification that our comforter is in the mail! I let out a scream when I saw that we were getting it! I would never bask so openly (or admit I was looking at the registries daily) to anyone other than FI, but it's so much fun! Definitely the type of pick me up I need as FI and I are getting stressed out about finalizing our guest list!!!
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Omg I'm with you! My shower invites just went out and I'm looking at my registry daily to see what people are buying. I just got notification that our comforter is in the mail! I let out a scream when I saw that we were getting it! I would never bask so openly (or admit I was looking at the registries daily) to anyone other than FI, but it's so much fun! Definitely the type of pick me up I need as FI and I are getting stressed out about finalizing our guest list!!!
  • chloe97 said:

My mom just sent out shower invitations too, and I love checking the registry to see what's being bought. My immersion blender just was purchased, and I screamed. Hello, butternut squash soup!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's a tad early for me since we are 5 months away but my sister (MOH) is going off to college mid-August so she wanted to throw me a bridal shower before she left town. It's beginning of August and she is talking about sending invites out soon and I'm starting to get really excited. Some of the excitement is getting pretty things from loved ones but I think for me it goes deeper into the knowledge that others are helping my FI and I build our home together. I look at cookware and think of all the yummy meals I will get to make him and share together. I love baking and cooking and once we get married, it'll be the first time for me to have full reign over my kitchen. It's exciting all around!
  • Enjoy it!!!! You're not being greedy. You registered for things you want and need and because are getting you want you want because they are happy for you. Enjoy this wonderful part of getting married. Enjoy the getting & eventually using the things that you are getting. If you get anything electronic, you may want to unpack it briefly just to make sure it works and then you can put it aside again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards