Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Has anyone used Spotify for their wedding?

We're keeping costs down, so we're just using our iPod with speakers set up (like good ones, my family is musical so we have a proper sound system). Has anyone used Spotify Premium? Our venue doesn't have wifi, so with the premium version I understand you can use your playlists without internet connection. 

I'm just wondering if anyone has encountered issues with this?

Re: Has anyone used Spotify for their wedding?

• Options
    I'm planning to use spotify. Make sure you set it up so that everything is available offline and have a back up device set up just in case. If you Google it you can find a few people who have used it. My wedding is in 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it goes :)
  • Options
    Yes, we did! To be fair, we didn't have a dance, but we set up a playlist for dinner and visiting (and board games). I took advantage of an offer for a free month of Premium and set it up before the wedding, then listened to the whole playlist on the device I planned to use in order to make sure all the songs were cached in the local memory. We had no problems all night long!
  • Options
    I will be, most likely. I had Premium for about a year when it first came out, and it was PERFECT for those long drives where I lost signal (oh, to have unlimited data again). Plus - no ads!

What I'm planning is to reinstate my Premium account (unfortunately no free months for me :( ), build a playlist, share it with my sister who also has Premium, have the playlist made available offline on five devices between the two accounts, and then ensure all five devices are fully charged and accessible with their chargers for the duration of the day. Of course, I'm the kind of person who has Plan A through Plan ZZZ, so I don't think you would necessarily need to have that many devices - one with its charger should be fine.

I'm pretty sure this will work mainly because we aren't planning any spotlight dances. If we were planning dances, it would probably have to be a little different.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We used Spotify too, and another recommendation I have is to have back up play lists.  Ours got out of order half way through and was a huge pain to get back in order. Even with that snag though, we still had a ton of dancing. 

We a
    lso had rented speakers, which I'd recommend to you if you didn't already sound set on that:)  Also make sure you've got a microphone set up if you're doing toasts and your guest list/space is too large for the speaker to be heard without one.

You'll also want to consider who will set it up (before hand or day of) and get it playing day of.  One of my BM's husband volunteered to help with that, so I typed and printed directions for him.

All in all, I'm super glad we went this route.  Even with renting very nice sneakers it was at most an 8th of what djs in my area cost and we got 100% of the songs we wanted played.
  • Options
    We have the luxury of volunteering at a college radio station, and we have a friend who is also a DJ there doing our music. We are paying him, but it's about half of what a professional DJ would cost. You may want to look into that option if there is a college near you or a community radio station. Saved us money but also the trouble of having to come up with everything ourselves.
  • Options
    @augsum15 the other big benefit of premium is that you can decide to play an individual song whenever you want to, rather than hitting "shuffle" on the playlist. I think they give out a free month special, but even if they don't, their subscription fee is $10/month and they don't require a contract. I just cancelled mine when I picked up amazon prime. Seems like it would be worth it even if you only subscribed for the day of your wedding.
  • Options
    Cool that was all really helpful! And yes we have all the sound equipment/mics/speakers/etc that one would ever need which is a huge help, and my dad and brother will set it up.

I'll definitely be getting premium. And have a couple back up devices is a good plan. I'll have all the cords to keep them charged though so hopefully that's a non-issue!
  • Options
    As a planner I can tell you using Spotify even a premium may be a bit challenging.  If you are on a budget here are a few suggestions:

#1-  Find a "kid" or some one to pay to be in charge of the music.  You will  have toasts and breaks and there are a million different things that can happen so If you want a "good party"  pay some one 50 - 100 bucks to be in charge. 

#2- Put together several play lists.. you want to keep your guests engaged and having a " appetizer and reception" play list,  a "dinner" play list and and dance set one  #1 and dance set two  #2- will give you structure and variety and give you a more professional feeling..

Gloria @ I Do Venues
  • Options
    IDoVenues said:
    As a planner I can tell you using Spotify even a premium may be a bit challenging.  If you are on a budget here are a few suggestions:

#1-  Find a "kid" or some one to pay to be in charge of the music.  You will  have toasts and breaks and there are a million different things that can happen so If you want a "good party"  pay some one 50 - 100 bucks to be in charge. 

#2- Put together several play lists.. you want to keep your guests engaged and having a " appetizer and reception" play list,  a "dinner" play list and and dance set one  #1 and dance set two  #2- will give you structure and variety and give you a more professional feeling..

We've actually covered all of that. We have about 3 playlists for the reception (pre-dinner, dinner, and dance). And we'll have our MC man-ing the music and such (he worked in radio all his life so he's familiar with everything). Having 2 "dance" playlists is something to think about though. Thank you though!
  • Options
    I went to a wedding where tused Spotify for the proccessional. She actually used the instrumentals of popular pop songs. I was pretty sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards