New Hampshire
Options

Venue on a budget

Hello! I am a newly engaged lady who is feeling so very discouraged and I could just use some reassurance or help. My friends try to help but it just keeps failing.

I have been with my fiance since we were teenagers. We are two of the most laid back people you will ever meet. We want a simple, cute, rusticy wedding. We are doing a lot ourselves, growing our own flowers, making our own centerpieces, etc.

Our budget is as follows
Venue/Food- 2500
Dj-700
Photography-1000
Dress/Tux-500

We have everything else taken care of. We have NO financial help from families because neither one of our families is able to afford to help. Our guest list is about 100 people because we both come from large families.

I just cannot seem to find a venue that we can afford. I have found a caterer, Belmont Hall, which meets our budget. The problem is finding a place to have it...ideally we would want the venue to include a cash bar.

Anyone out there who has had a similar budget to ours?! Every single person I ask for help has responded to me with places that are out of our budget. I broke down in tears today because I am starting to feel like our wedding is unattainable. We aren't asking for a lot, just somewhere within our budget that isn't completely run down.

Re: Venue on a budget

• Options
    If I were you I would check local parks and pavilion rentals. Just make sure there is a shelter in case of bad weather. I had a friend throw a lovely outdoor wedding for a very small budget. If you do that you can also depending on the park laws provide your own alcoholic beverages (few cases of wine and couple kegs for much cheaper than an open bar) Please read the etiquette board on why not to have a cash bar. If I were a guest I'd much prefer to just have sodas and water available that's fully hosted than a cash bar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You're situation sounds very similar to mine! have you had any luck finding a venue?
  • Options
    thats a tight budget, good luck
    Chrissy BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    Have you considered having a really 'laid back' camp ground wedding?  Somewhere that has a rec hall and will allow you to bring beer/wine?  Maybe you can use ipod music instead of a DJ to save money, and maybe find a friend that is a photographer, (or a student photographer), that is willing to take photos and then give you the unedited files on a memory stick?  Those ideas would help you save $$.
  • Options
    IamnowmrsjmsIamnowmrsjms member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2015
    Hello! I am a newly engaged lady who is feeling so very discouraged and I could just use some reassurance or help. My friends try to help but it just keeps failing.

I have been with my fiance since we were teenagers. We are two of the most laid back people you will ever meet. We want a simple, cute, rusticy wedding. We are doing a lot ourselves, growing our own flowers, making our own centerpieces, etc.

Our budget is as follows
    Venue/Food- 2500
    Dj-700
    Photography-1000
    Dress/Tux-500

We have everything else taken care of. We have NO financial help from families because neither one of our families is able to afford to help. Our guest list is about 100 people because we both come from large families.

I just cannot seem to find a venue that we can afford. I have found a caterer, Belmont Hall, which meets our budget. The problem is finding a place to have it...ideally we would want the venue to include a cash bar.

Anyone out there who has had a similar budget to ours?! Every single person I ask for help has responded to me with places that are out of our budget. I broke down in tears today because I am starting to feel like our wedding is unattainable. We aren't asking for a lot, just somewhere within our budget that isn't completely run down.You
    Sounds like you need to cut your guest list in half. 
    To the bolded-don't do this! If you can't afford to host any alcohol, then have a dry wedding.  Asking your guests to pay for their own drinks is unacceptable.  Don't want to have a dry wedding? Cut that guest list and just host beer/wine soft drinks, if that's what you can afford.
    ETA spend some time on the Etiquette and Budget Weddings boards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards