Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

Dress Help!

So I got married on August 28th. I had an outdoor wedding. I ended up basically TRASHING the bottom of my dress. My dilemma (yes I realize now I should have thought about it before) is I want to wear my dress again on our honeymoon. We're taking a cruise and we have two captain dinners where it's a formal night. I want to wear my dress (I want my money's worth LOL) drycleaners can't clean it in time.

Is there anything I can use on my dress? My tide pen worked GREAT on stains I got on the top half of the dress, but I don't really have time to tide pen my entire bottom of my dress lol. Any suggestions? My dress is chiffon and satin if that helps. Thank you so much for your help ladies

Ps my wedding was absolutely 100% perfect. Like it was handpicked by God himself!!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dress Help!

• Options
    I don't know about cleaning it.  Maybe you can just have it hemmed.  Or fill a tub with an Oxy Clean solution and dip the bottom in or soak it a bit.

As for wearing it again though, have you ever been to a formal event on a cruise?  I have many times and someone in a bridal gown would look ridiculous.  I honestly don't see how you can get around wearing your wedding dress again, unless you were a non-traditional bride and didn't wear white or ivory. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Can you post a pic of your dress?  Have fun on your cruise. 
  • Options
    Ditto beach about reconsidering wearing the dress on a cruise. I've been on multiple cruises, and I would definitely be giving the side-eye to anyone who came to dinner in a wedding dress.

If you want to wear your gown again, have you considered doing a TTD shoot?
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options

Thank you for the oxy clean advice I was thinking that too. I wouldn't be able to get it hemmed in time though and I am going to preserve it after the cruise. As for the comments about me looking ridiculous in my wedding gown, I don't appreciate anyone passing judgement on me wearing MY wedding dress on MY honeymoon. 1. You don't know what my gown looks like. 2. I never asked what anyone thought about how I would look. Hopefully, neither of you will be on my cruise to make snarky comments about me. I have been to formal dinners on cruises, and I have seen plenty of women in white dresses, haven't you? I've also been to plenty of formal affairs with women in white dresses.  I have a simple strapless A line dress with a bustled train.

So besides the oxy clean advice, does anyone else have any other useful tips? Again, I don't really care what any of you think about how I'll look on my cruise, I'd just really like help on how to clean it, because I'd really like to wear it again and a few snarky comments aren't going to prevent me from wearing it again. My friends and family (who have seen my dress) think it's a great idea.

bbyckes I'm at work so I don't have my pictures here I'm sorry :( It's a simple strapless A line dress, with beading detail at the top, and a train that is bustled at the bottom. it's very simple, very elegant, and hugs my figure like a glove (I'm 5'7" 118 lbs)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Unfortunately, you don't get to dictate how people respond to your posts.  There is a big difference in wearing a white dress, and wearing a wedding gown.  No, twilight and I will not be on your cruise, but I can guarantee there will be people on there giving you the side-eye or talking about you after you walk by.  Or they are all going to assume you got married on the cruise and congratulate you.  Maybe thats what you want though, and thats definitely just an AW move.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the description, because I too was wondering how you intended to pull this off.  From what you've described, you'll just be AWing.  I'm going on a cruise too (extremely excited!), but would never even think about wearing my wedding dress.  Ever. 

ETA:  Your wedding was "handpicked by God?"  Seriously? Undecided
  • Options
    OP, as beach said, when you post things like this on a public internet forum, you have to expect people to answer bluntly and honestly. Just as you were allowed to talk about your plan, others are allowed to give their opinions of it.

Have you tried contacting a dry-cleaner (perhaps one that specializes in wedding gowns), to see if they have any tips for you?
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_dress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:894a8d26-3534-4823-8fa0-25f0f9aa817fPost:5f138a38-19ae-4726-83a8-8abc0211449f">Re: Dress Help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the description, because I too was wondering how you intended to pull this off.  From what you've described, you'll just be AWing.  I'm going on a cruise too (extremely excited!), but would never even think about wearing my wedding dress.  Ever. <strong> ETA:  Your wedding was "handpicked by God?"  Seriously? </strong>
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

Haha, I didn't even want to touch on that one.  But since you did...

Are you serious? 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Wedding-Gown

hopefully this will help a bit, I just did a quick Google search and came up with this, it's similar to what someone posted above. You may be able to find more helpful tips from doing a search than asking for help here. Innocent

I"m happy your wedding was awesome and have fun on your cruise!
    image 223 Invited
    image 127 Wouldn't miss it
    image 64 Passed on the fun
    image 32 Still undecided
    RSVP Date: August 1, 2012 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards