Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day

Things I wish I'd known in preparation for my wedding day

1. It will be REALLY overwhelming.  There will be multiple people talking to you at once during the whole reception.  Just getting from one side of the room to the other is a chore and can take up to 10 minutes.  Designate someone to be a "gopher" for you.  People don't walk and talk and you'll be cornered talking to a long lost relative when all you can think about is getting back to your purse/drink/food/whatever.  (I had 3 different people all trying to have different conversations with me at one time.  I couldn't enjoy my moment because it was so overwhelming.)  Make a deal with your hubby and/or bridesmaids to "save" you if you give a cue that you need to get out of a situation.

2.  Take at least one break with your new husband alone to the corner of the room or just outside the door so that the both of you can take a moment to take in everything. Make a private moment for just the two of you. The night goes so fast, and you need to make a conscious move to take a mental snapshot.

3.  Putting on the dress and all the garments/shoes/etc that go with it can be difficult to do by yourself.  Have someone help you.  And it can get HOT.  And since your adrenaline is going, too, make sure the room you get ready in is cool... a fan helps.  I got hot, sweaty, and light-headed until I had a fan.  

4.  If you are not going to have a videographer, designate a couple people to use a video camera or camera phone to record a few of the highlights.  (The "I do" moment, the first dance, and the speeches, especially my father's speech, are what I really wish I had recorded.)  Splurging on a videographer would be worth every penny.

5.   Caterers care about themselves, not your party. Before the reception starts, have someone you trust request (to the person heading up the staff) that nothing... and you mean NOTHING... (especially from the head table) be removed without permission. The caterers were in such a hurry to clean up and go home that I missed out on the other flavors of my cake and half of my dinner because they took it away too fast. I heard other complaints from guests about the same thing. "I went to the bar for JUST A MINUTE, came back and my food was gone!"  My father tipped a large sum to each waiter before the reception, but really should have told the head waiter that these tips would be available at the end of the evening based on performance.  Once they got their "tip", they didn't care if they were doing a great job or not.  

6.  Depending on your dress, you will probably need help to pee.  It's annoying to always have to have someone with you to pee.  Just have to deal with it.

7.  It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to spend time with each and every guest.  There just isn't the time.  If you can, make rounds to different tables to say hi to everyone collectively.  People understand that you are overwhelmed on your big day, so you can't let yourself feel guilty about not seeing some people. 

8.  Make sure you know who is in charge of collecting your things to go home at the end of the night. Who is taking gifts home for you? Who is taking guest book/toasting glasses/centerpieces/cake servers/etc home for you? Make a list of everything that must make the trip back to your house for whomever is in charge of it. We made 3 trips back to the reception site the next 2 days trying to find things left behind.  I recommend that whoever is in charge of taking things for you be a non-drinker.

9.  People will write checks to Mr. and Mrs. NewLastName or Natalie NewLastName. Most banks have a policy about cashing or depositing these checks until your marriage license comes in (usually up to 30 days after the wedding). We couldn't cash a couple of the checks for a month.  You can get creative by signing your new name and signing it to a 3rd party, such as your mom or husband in order to get them cashed.  

10.  Give the dj or announcer a typed up version of what you want said where and proper pronunciation of every person's name in the wedding party and family.  And an order in which you want the reception to go.  

11.  At the rehearsal, I noticed our minister was in desperate need of a haircut.  It looked as if he hadn't had a cut in 3 months.  Hair was taking over his neck.  It shows in some photos.  I considered asking him at the rehearsal to get a haircut before he did the wedding, but didn't.  I should have spoke up.  The photos are forever.  

12.  The whole day goes sooooo fast.  Make sure to take mental snapshots throughout the day/evening, and make sure your photographer(s) have instructions for specific things you want captured.  It's a good idea to have them go table to table to capture every guest.  Table cameras for the guests was the best thing we did.  We got some great shots from the guests points of view.  

13.  Ask your caterer to make sure at least 2 bartenders are on duty for the first hour of your reception.  No one likes standing in lines, especially when they are missing out on your reception. 

Re: Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day

• Great tips!  Thank you for sharing!
  • Great list of recommendations!!!!

I have one question. Our reception MADE us pay 20% gratuity included into our contract of food and beverages. Therefore I wasn't going to tip anyone.

Are we still supposed to tip? I feel a little jipped because we are paying for bottles of wine & champagne to be on each table for our guests. They only have to go to the bartenders for soft drinks. And we are having two buffets so 20% seems excessive
    Wedding date July 7, 2012
  • If the gratuity is included and required, you are not obligated to tip on top of that.  I don't think businesses should ever include gratuity, as a tip is meant to be given as an option.  However, if it's part of the contract and you signed an agreement, there is nothing you can do but accept it.  Just don't worry about tipping above and beyond that.  

However, if you have food servers or buffet prep servers or even just people coming around to collect dirty dishes, make sure you have addressed the person in charge before the reception about things going the way YOU want it.  
  • Thanks for the heads up :) Great tips
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:acb69309-c8a3-4273-a8b6-67994a20244e">Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Things I wish I'd known in preparation for my wedding day 1. It will be REALLY overwhelming.  There will be multiple people talking to you at once during the whole reception.  Just getting from one side of the room to the other is a chore and can take up to 10 minutes.  Designate someone to be a "gopher" for you.  People don't walk and talk and you'll be cornered talking to a long lost relative when all you can think about is getting back to your purse/drink/food/whatever.  (I had 3 different people all trying to have different conversations with me at one time.  I couldn't enjoy my moment because it was so overwhelming.)  Make a deal with your hubby and/or bridesmaids to "save" you if you give a cue that you need to get out of a situation. A gopher?<strong> I walked around without issues and got to everyone. You talk to people and move on.

</strong>2.  Take at least one break with your new husband alone to the corner of the room or just outside the door so that the both of you can take a moment to take in everything. Make a private moment for just the two of you. The night goes so fast, and you need to make a conscious move to take a mental snapshot.
     <strong>It is a nice moment to look around during the first dance.

</strong> 3.  Putting on the dress and all the garments/shoes/etc that go with it can be difficult to do by yourself.  Have someone help you.  And it can get HOT.  And since your adrenaline is going, too, make sure the room you get ready in is cool... a fan helps.  I got hot, sweaty, and light-headed until I had a fan. 
      4.  If you are not going to have a videographer,<strong> designate a couple people to use a video camera or camera phone to record a few of the highlights.</strong> (The "I do" moment, the first dance, and the speeches, especially my father's speech, are what I really wish I had recorded.)  Splurging on a videographer would be worth every penny.
     <strong>If you want it video taped hire someone. People will take pictures/video on their own. Many guests shared their videos/pictures with us.

</strong> 5.   Caterers care about themselves, not your party. Before the reception starts, have someone you trust request (to the person heading up the staff) that nothing... <strong>and you mean NOTHING</strong>... (especially from the head table) be removed without permission. The caterers were in such a hurry to clean up and go home that I missed out on the other flavors of my cake and half of my dinner because they took it away too fast. I heard other complaints from guests about the same thing. "I went to the bar for JUST A MINUTE, came back and my food was gone!"  My father tipped a large sum to each waiter before the reception, but really should have told the head waiter that these tips would be available at the end of the evening based on performance.  Once they got their "tip", they didn't care if they were doing a great job or not.  <strong>A respected place would know when to take items away. You do not need to have someone oversee when your plate is taken away</strong>. 

6.  Depending on your dress, you will probably need help to pee.  It's annoying to always have to have someone with you to pee.  Just have to deal with it.

7.  It's <strong>nearly IMPOSSIBLE</strong> to spend time with each and every guest.  There just isn't the time.  If you can, make rounds to different tables to say hi to everyone collectively.  People understand that you are overwhelmed on your big day, so you can't let yourself feel guilty about not seeing some people.  <strong>They are your guests. Go to every table. Greet everyone. They are there to support you.

</strong>8.  Make sure you know who is in charge of collecting your things to go home at the end of the night. Who is taking gifts home for you? Who is taking guest book/toasting glasses/centerpieces/cake servers/etc home for you? Make a list of everything that must make the trip back to your house for whomever is in charge of it. We made 3 trips back to the reception site the next 2 days trying to find things left behind.  I recommend that whoever is in charge of taking things for you be a non-drinker. 

9.  People will write checks to Mr. and Mrs. NewLastName or Natalie NewLastName. Most banks have a policy about cashing or depositing these checks until your marriage license comes in (usually up to 30 days after the wedding).<strong>We couldn't cash a couple of the checks for a month.</strong>  You can get creative by signing your new name and signing it to a 3rd party, such as your mom or husband in order to get them cashed.   <strong>Any checks that were received in mine and H's name were accepted by hid bank. I never tried my bank, but he only had to sign it.

</strong>10.  Give the dj or announcer a typed up version of what you want said where and proper pronunciation of every person's name in the wedding party and family.  And an order in which you want the reception to go.  

11.  At the rehearsal, I noticed our minister was in desperate need of a haircut.  It looked as if he hadn't had a cut in 3 months.  Hair was taking over his neck.  It shows in some photos. <strong> I considered asking him at the rehearsal to get a haircut before he did the wedding, but didn't.  I should have spoke up. </strong> The photos are forever.  <strong> So are you saying I should have to our BM trim his goatee because it was too long? Or have my officiant trim her hair because she might have needed it? </strong>

12.  The whole day goes sooooo fast.  Make sure to take mental snapshots throughout the day/evening, and make sure your photographer(s) have instructions for specific things you want captured. <strong> It's a good idea to have them go table to table to capture every guest. </strong> Table cameras for the guests was the best thing we did.  We got some great shots from the guests points of view.  <strong>Yes! I wish I did this. We did $10 digital cameras from Walgreens that the kids loved.

</strong>13.  Ask your caterer to make sure at least 2 bartenders are on duty for the first hour of your reception.  No one likes standing in lines, especially when they are missing out on your reception. <strong> I think this depends how your reception is set up.
    </strong>Posted by Lanist57[/QUOTE]
  • In response to teachermegs: " They are your guests. Go to every table. Greet everyone. They are there to support you."

Your response sounds great in theory, but not everyone is able to greet every-single-table! My husband and I hoped we could but by the time we got to the third table out of 25, we had to go cut the cake, do the father/daughter dance, etc etc etc..... and by the time all of that was done .... the guests were up and about from their tables.
  • I wished I would have known that a lot of the little details were nice, but not worth the stress I felt just before the wedding.  If I could have a re-do, I wouldn't change anything about the day (rain and all), but I would have enjoyed the days leading up to it a bit more.
    Becky & DH Dx with Azoospermia Dec 2011 Seeing RE, waiting for genetic test results before seeing urologist. Hormone panel showed low T, high FSH/LH. Struggling daily with the unknowns.
  • I also agree that you should really make an effort to get to all the tables, and would not worry about the officiant's hair. If anything, it will probably be hilarious 20 years from now.
  • LauraChristinLauraChristin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:acb69309-c8a3-4273-a8b6-67994a20244e">Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]Things I wish I'd known in preparation for my wedding day 1. It will be REALLY overwhelming.  There will be multiple people talking to you at once during the whole reception.  Just getting from one side of the room to the other is a chore and can take up to 10 minutes.  Designate someone to be a "gopher" for you.  People don't walk and talk and you'll be cornered talking to a long lost relative when all you can think about is getting back to your purse/drink/food/whatever.  (I had 3 different people all trying to have different conversations with me at one time.  I couldn't enjoy my moment because it was so overwhelming.)  Make a deal with your hubby and/or bridesmaids to "save" you if you give a cue that you need to get out of a situation. <div>
    </div><div><strong>I agree with you. It was pretty overwhelming! The "save you" cue is a good idea :) I think for those who can afford it, a wedding coordinator is a great idea. They can gopher for you. I don't think it's appropriate to designate a guest as a "gopher".</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>2.  Take at least one break with your new husband alone to the corner of the room or just outside the door so that the both of you can take a moment to take in everything. Make a private moment for just the two of you. The night goes so fast, and you need to make a conscious move to take a mental snapshot. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>This is good advice, too! We didn't have long to do this but we did, maybe 5-10 minutes but I have fond memories of that moment with my husband.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>3.  Putting on the dress and all the garments/shoes/etc that go with it can be difficult to do by yourself.  Have someone help you.  And it can get HOT.  And since your adrenaline is going, too, make sure the room you get ready in is cool... a fan helps.  I got hot, sweaty, and light-headed until I had a fan.   </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Great point! I had a very light "destination" style dress and was hot in that! Set the air con cooler than you'd think you need.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>4.  If you are not going to have a videographer, designate a couple people to use a video camera or camera phone to record a few of the highlights.  (The "I do" moment, the first dance, and the speeches, especially my father's speech, are what I really wish I had recorded.)  Splurging on a videographer would be worth every penny. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Hiring a videographer was out of our budget, too. But I don't think it's appropriate to ask a guest to do this. If someone offers it would be great to take them up on it. Otherwise, I think you have to let your guests be guests and not work.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>5.   Caterers care about themselves, not your party. Before the reception starts, have someone you trust request (to the person heading up the staff) that nothing... and you mean NOTHING... (especially from the head table) be removed without permission. The caterers were in such a hurry to clean up and go home that I missed out on the other flavors of my cake and half of my dinner because they took it away too fast. I heard other complaints from guests about the same thing. "I went to the bar for JUST A MINUTE, came back and my food was gone!"  My father tipped a large sum to each waiter before the reception, but really should have told the head waiter that these tips would be available at the end of the evening based on performance.  Once they got their "tip", they didn't care if they were doing a great job or not.   </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Great advice to suggest that couples talk with their caterers about this in advance. Perhaps tell them that if you're up and about do they have lids to put over your plates to keep them warm instead of clearing everything. I actually had the opposite problem. I didn't think our belly bars and cocktail / lounge tables were cleared fast enough.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>6.  Depending on your dress, you will probably need help to pee.  It's annoying to always have to have someone with you to pee.  Just have to deal with it. </div><div>
    </div><div>7.  It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to spend time with each and every guest.  There just isn't the time.  If you can, make rounds to different tables to say hi to everyone collectively.  People understand that you are overwhelmed on your big day, so you can't let yourself feel guilty about not seeing some people.  </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>With big guest lists I bet this could be hard. We had 110 which wasn't very difficult. I'd say do your absolute best to thank everyone for coming.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>8.  Make sure you know who is in charge of collecting your things to go home at the end of the night. Who is taking gifts home for you? Who is taking guest book/toasting glasses/centerpieces/cake servers/etc home for you? Make a list of everything that must make the trip back to your house for whomever is in charge of it. We made 3 trips back to the reception site the next 2 days trying to find things left behind.  I recommend that whoever is in charge of taking things for you be a non-drinker. </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Our coordinator did this for us. I think some venues will pack your car, too! Good question to ask them.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>9.  People will write checks to Mr. and Mrs. NewLastName or Natalie NewLastName. Most banks have a policy about cashing or depositing these checks until your marriage license comes in (usually up to 30 days after the wedding). We couldn't cash a couple of the checks for a month.  You can get creative by signing your new name and signing it to a 3rd party, such as your mom or husband in order to get them cashed.   </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Citibank allowed us to deposit our checks that were made out to all different combinations of our new and old names. We both had to be present with ID and a copy of our marriage license. It might have helped that my branch manager knows me but we were able to do it before it just took a little time to get it all together with the manager.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>10.  Give the dj or announcer a typed up version of what you want said where and proper pronunciation of every person's name in the wedding party and family.  And an order in which you want the reception to go.   </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Great advice. :)</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>11.  At the rehearsal, I noticed our minister was in desperate need of a haircut.  It looked as if he hadn't had a cut in 3 months.  Hair was taking over his neck.  It shows in some photos.  I considered asking him at the rehearsal to get a haircut before he did the wedding, but didn't.  I should have spoke up.  The photos are forever.   </div><div>
    </div><div><strong>I think everyone will be staring at you and your husband in your wedding photos. Don't sweat it. I think it would have been offensive to ask him to cut his hair. So in my opinion you did the right thing.</strong></div><div>
    </div><div>12.  The whole day goes sooooo fast.  Make sure to take mental snapshots throughout the day/evening, and make sure your photographer(s) have instructions for specific things you want captured.  It's a good idea to have them go table to table to capture every guest.  Table cameras for the guests was the best thing we did.  We got some great shots from the guests points of view.   </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>13.  Ask your caterer to make sure at least 2 bartenders are on duty for the first hour of your reception.  No one likes standing in lines, especially when they are missing out on your reception.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>More good advice. Our catering team had one of the waitresses help the bartender in the beginning since she wasn't needed to serve / clear yet and it sped up the bar service when everyone first arrived. </strong>
    Posted by Lanist57[/QUOTE]

</div>
  • mattycammattycam member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    7. It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to spend time with each and every guest. There just isn't the time. If you can, make rounds to different tables to say hi to everyone collectively. 

I agree with this. We only got to half of the tables. Fortunately we had a receiving line at the church so we got to greet the majority of the guests. I would recommend that too for future brides as the reception part of the wedding can be pretty action packed.

Good tips overall!
  • Great tips! I definitely have to try to keep them in mind. We have a smaller reception (85-90), so with about 10 tables, it shouldn't be too hard to get to everyone. I can't imagine being able to thank everyone if there were 200+ guests (which is the norm in my area). 

I agree that no matter what price level your catering is at, there can always be rude servers. I sure hope that doesn't happen to us. 

We didn't have enough $$ for a videographer either, until my grandfather recently gave us his wedding gift early. He said to use it towards the wedding for something I wish I could have but didn't have the $ for. I did a happy dance & then started searching. I think I found one that will be completely paid for by his gift. If it wasn't for that, I'd also have to ask 2-3 close friends to video the impt parts. I don't think it would be considered a "job" to someone your close to.
  • Great points made by all, thanks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • teachermegsteachermegs member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:c896afb2-fcf2-4a58-9b3c-9c0144eb2231">Re: Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]teachermegs,   I'm happy for you that you had all the time planned out perfectly.  However, I know very few people who are able to make all the "suggestions" you said work perfectly.   VirgoBella and many others can relate to not getting the time to talk to all 150-300 guests in just a couple of hours while still having the dinner, dances, cake cutting and the rest.  It was simply impossible to be the center of every event of the reception and still address and hold conversation with each and every guest.  If you were able to do so, then kudos.  Also, while taking your "moment" during the first dance sounds nice in theory, I found myself wrapped up in the idea that I was having my first dance with the love of my life and the crowd melted away... as I believe it should have.  I meant that you should take a moment AWAY from all eyes on you.   I'm also happy for you that you had a seemingly unlimited budget to spend on the extras like a videographer.  WE did not have that luxury, and we missed out on it.  I was perhaps suggesting that an amateur shooting would have been better than nothing. To suggest that a "respectable place would know when to take items away" is to suggest (offensibly) that I held my wedding at a trashy establishment.  I can tell you from my younger days working in catering that there will be good and bad waitstaff at every place from moderately priced to very expensive.  To ensure that YOUR event is treated as you wish by talking to the head waiter in advance does not reflect on whether it is "respectable".   A bank that checks proper identification may have an issue with a check made out to a name not featured on your account.  Lucky for you, your bank doesn't check.  Also, if the word "and" was between our names, our bank insisted that it be signed by both with ID to be cashed or deposited into a joint account.  Checks made out to just me with my new last name could not be cashed or deposited by me, which is where I signed them over to my husband or mom as a 3rd party check.  Because I went through that, others may as well, and I was trying to help.   As for the minister's haircut...  he was a hired officiant, not a church pastor.  It is his JOB to do weddings.  It is his JOB to look professional.  To show up with his hair unkempt and not well groomed was the same to me as showing up in jeans to officiate my wedding.  It was not just a little over the ears... it was a BUSH of hair from his hairline, down his neck, and attaching to back hair.  And, yes... if you think your BM's goatee is unkempt, it is perfectly fine to ask that they clean it up.   I felt quite offended that you felt the need to "correct" my suggestions.  Others found them helpful, and if you didn't, then taking the "leaving" route of the "Take it or leave it" kind would have sufficed.  
    Posted by Lanist57[/QUOTE]

No need to get upset. I didn't "correct" your ideas, I was just adding my ideas. I don't believe I ever called where you had your wedding "trashy establishment."
    But I do believe it is rude to ask your guests to work at your wedding and telling people what their hair should look like because you didn't like it.
  • My opinions.. should I stress opinions so I don't get attacked :)

#1.  I don't see a need for a gopher.  Yes, people wanted to talk forever but I was able to politely or humorously end the conversation.  Example "It has been so great talking to you and I'm so thrilled you are here; however, my filet mignon is calling my name"  or "........ so thrilled you are here; however, I must go find my husband!" .  If you don't like those suggestions, there's plenty of ways to use humor or politeness to go eat or speak to someone else. 

#7.  This is exactly the reason my husband and I wanted to have a smallish wedding (68 people attended).  We only wanted our closest family and friends and wanted to be sure to treasure everyone who was there for our special event.  We wanted to take the time to talk to everyone.  I can name  every person that attended (except perhaps a guest of the invited).  Please do not mistake this for bashing larger weddings.. it's just what we preferred and I'm so glad we did this!!

• Thank you for sharing your point of view from your day.  Although everyone has a different experience and will never agree on everything, its great to hear the things you would change.  It does help with mine and others' planning.  :)
  • A lot of good tips from everyone.  I'd add that if you can swing it, having a brunch the day after or even going to the bar with everyone after the reception is an excellent way to spend some quality time with the people you were too rushed to spend time with at the wedding.  We did both and I'm so glad we did. 

For videographer, maybe ask a teenage cousin to do it and pay them $50.  They won't care anyway and will be happy to make some money.  Get a tripod for them though.  If you didn't want to ask your family, then ask a bridesmaid's younger brother.

Like someone else said, you have to trust yourself that everything that truly matters will go right.  Don't stress for the week leading up to it- no reprinting escort cards or cleaning every inch of your house.  Just try to enjoy the days leading up to it.
  • Make a list of must take photos for your photographer, we did but even so we missed a couple of important pictures.

If you can afford it definitely get a videographer, photos are wonderful but they cant hear you say your vows, the toasts, watch you dance, etc.

Definitely eat the morning of and take a pain pill before gettingyour hair done

Definitely make time to mingle with each of your guests,  they are there for you!

I think most of it was covered wonderfully by the other ladies
  • thanks for the advice!
  • Great advice, lots of those things I would have never thought of!!! Thanks!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_things-wished-id-known-before-wedding-day?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:8a4e80fc-6b6c-450c-b2e5-fac56f8d1567Post:acb69309-c8a3-4273-a8b6-67994a20244e">Things I wish I'd known before my wedding day</a>:
    [QUOTE]. 2.  Take at least one break with your new husband alone to the corner of the room or just outside the door so that the both of you can take a moment to take in everything. <strong><em>Make a private moment for just the two of you</em></strong>. The night goes so fast, and you need to make a conscious move to take a mental snapshot.

Thanks for the great advice! This is definitely something that FI and I need to and want to remember to do.
  • We had a private moment just the two of us before we walked into the reception, it was the perfect moment it helped us both take a moment and relax in the middle of the chaos
  • I totally agree with most of these, and try as we did we couldn't get 5 minutes alone and we tried!!  We even went outside and a group was out there too! LOL
    I highly recommend to anyone to try so so hard for those 5 minutes alone! :)

We decided to get to cocktail hour early and then we greeted each guest as they arrived to the cocktail hour.  We still got our drinks and food, but didn't have to use reception time hitting up each table.  

And same at our reception site, they cleared so fast I must have had like 100 drinks, but never got to finish one! LOL
    and then there were 3...
  • Another tip... if you can afford it spend the money on a GOOD photographer... not a friend or family member and not some mid-priced, less experienced one.  The pictures are forever and you'll be glad you did.  Learn from my mistake.
  • Thanks for sharing, I especially like #2 (taking a few minutes of alone time with your hubby).  It's such a simple idea, yet probably often overlooked.  Thanks again!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi, I'm new to the boards, but I just wanted to say thanks, Lanist, for the advice! I love hearing what brides say didn't or did work for them, it is really helpful. I have also heard of caterers taking things away too quickly or throwing out important things that should not have been tossed. One girl I know had her false bottom cake tier thrown out so she ended up having to pay the bakery for it. Such an unnecessary added expense.
  • Thanks for the advice! 

We made sure to book rooms at a hotel that serve breakfast so those guests who stay the night we can see again in the morning. Our friends did this after their wedding and stayed downstairs from the moment they woke up until the majority of their guests had left and breakfast was over!

• Thanks for all the great advice.  In regards to the original posting, I will definitely remember to do the second idea.  Thanks again!!
  • Thanks to all who have put in your tips!!! Most of those things I never would have thought about! :D I am so thankful to have each of your on my team haha :D

Happy New Year to you all

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards