Chit Chat
Options

Calling All People That Do the Hiring at Their Jobs

Re: Calling All People That Do the Hiring at Their Jobs

• Options
    MagicInk said:

I never care about the domain part. 

But I judge the shit out XXXHOTSWEETIECUMXXX@gmail.com

Or anything cutesy sweetbabygirl@gmail.com is just as bad. JoanSmith@yahoo.com I'll take seriously.

Ok if you have aol email addy I MIGHT judge you. A little. But more in an LOL way.
    Gah!  Guilty....  

• Options

I hire people often and I would never discount a potential candidate because of their email.

Unless it was stealingurofficesupplies at yahoo.

Well you gotta give them props for honesty right out the gate.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

I hire people often and I would never discount a potential candidate because of their email.

Unless it was stealingurofficesupplies at yahoo.

Well you gotta give them props for honesty right out the gate.
    Good point.
  • Options
    Heres what i dont get. HOtmail/live/msn are all under the "outlook" umbrella now. I have to use outlook to sign into my old msn address that yes i stil use. I have an alias on my acct that is firstnamemiddleinitalmarriedlast@outlook.com. that way i DIDNT have to change anything. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Maybe it depends on your field. I'm a scientist, and we want qualified candidates. The email domain does not matter. I honestly never knew there was a stigma with yahoo. (I have firstname_lastname@yahoo.com). I've had it since college, when no one had gmail accounts. I also have firstnamelastname@gmail.com, but I never ever use it. 

I do kind of laugh at hotmail emails domains, but I would never disregard a candidate for that.

Also, my sister is 25 and she has an sbcglobal account, because it was from when she was like 13. Though she doesn't use it for resumes, because it's a cutesy nickname email. So the age thing isn't really correct.

• Options
    I used to work at a staffing agency, and we gave no fucks what domain your email was from so long as you had a professional, appropriate email address. I still have a Hotmail address, and it's never stopped me from being hired anywhere.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Maybe it depends on your field. I'm a scientist, and we want qualified candidates. The email domain does not matter. I honestly never knew there was a stigma with yahoo. (I have firstname_lastname@yahoo.com). I've had it since college, when no one had gmail accounts. I also have firstnamelastname@gmail.com, but I never ever use it. 

I do kind of laugh at hotmail emails domains, but I would never disregard a candidate for that.

Also, my sister is 25 and she has an sbcglobal account, because it was from when she was like 13. Though she doesn't use it for resumes, because it's a cutesy nickname email. So the age thing isn't really correct.
    I don't mean it ages people. It dates your email. I got a yahoo account when I was 13, too, and I'm a year older than your sister. It's a cutesy name, and I suspect it's long been deactivated, but if Applicant-Sweetie were still using yahoo professionally it would come across as brand loyalty over better functionality to Hiring-Sweetie. Because yahoo, the last time I saw it (which was recently, when my sister checked her yahoo on my computer), looks and works essentially the same as I recall it doing when I was a teenager a decade ago.

If I were in a hiring position, I would never ever discount an otherwise-qualified person for using a yahoo account as long as it was a professional-sounding email. And I would never ask them why they chose a specific email provider other another, because it's not my business. But I would, as an interviewer/hiring manager, want to know why they still use it when there are better free email programs out there. And I'd want to know if brand loyalty was overruling functionality (because imho it shouldn't), or if they were unable to figure out how to port it over to a new address, or too lazy to take the steps to do it. It has nothing at all to do with the user's age, it has to do with their technological ability. To me, still using an essentially defunct provider (which hotmail is, despite having been ported over to outlook) or one that to me still feels like I'm thirteen checking for comments on my Fictionpress account (which yahoo screams to me), says either unknowledgeable, inflexible or lazy. None of which I would like in an employee, and I feel like that's a legitimate concern in any hiring process.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I don't mean it ages people. It dates your email. I got a yahoo account when I was 13, too, and I'm a year older than your sister. It's a cutesy name, and I suspect it's long been deactivated, but if Applicant-Sweetie were still using yahoo professionally it would come across as brand loyalty over better functionality to Hiring-Sweetie. Because yahoo, the last time I saw it (which was recently, when my sister checked her yahoo on my computer), looks and works essentially the same as I recall it doing when I was a teenager a decade ago.

If I were in a hiring position, I would never ever discount an otherwise-qualified person for using a yahoo account as long as it was a professional-sounding email. And I would never ask them why they chose a specific email provider other another, because it's not my business. But I would, as an interviewer/hiring manager, want to know why they still use it when there are better free email programs out there. And I'd want to know if brand loyalty was overruling functionality (because imho it shouldn't), or if they were unable to figure out how to port it over to a new address, or too lazy to take the steps to do it. It has nothing at all to do with the user's age, it has to do with their technological ability. To me, still using an essentially defunct provider (which hotmail is, despite having been ported over to outlook) or one that to me still feels like I'm thirteen checking for comments on my Fictionpress account (which yahoo screams to me), says either unknowledgeable, inflexible or lazy. None of which I would like in an employee, and I feel like that's a legitimate concern in any hiring process.

See yahoo does not scream that to me, because I was 20 when I made my yahoo account, not 13. Also, I use my work email professionally, so if I were looking for a new job, I would then use my personal email which happens to be yahoo. 

Loyalty is also not a bad thing.  It seems that you are making a lot of assumptions.

So what makes gmail so much better? Because I don't really see the difference between it and yahoo other than it links to my youtube account. I'm also a "if it's not broken or inefficient, why change it." So maybe that makes me inflexible. 

• Options
    esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

Except that's entirely based on your assumption that everyone wants the same thing out of their email provider that you personally do. And why does their answer even matter? What makes you the arbiter of what constitutes a "good enough" reason for using their platform of choice? 
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    I don't do hiring, but I have to say I think snarky thoughts about people with yahoo or hotmail whenever I see them, so I'm honestly not surprised that it might be a small factor in hiring. 

ETA: That said, I would not deliberately not hire someone if I were in that position, but I can see how my subconscious might discount them a little bit.  As PPs have said, it has to do with feeling like those people are dated or not as up on technology.  I think gmail is pretty much widely accepted as the best provider out there. I know I keep telling my H to quit using Yahoo. Their spam filter sucks!
  • Options
    @hellosweetie1015 (mobile not letting me quote)

I think that's making some really sweeping generalizations based on the platform someone uses to manage their personal email. Sure, if someone was applying to Google, I would probably say get a Gmail address.

I have Gmail, but as long as it sorts out spam and I can send and receive email, I don't give a fuck what else it can do.

If I ever had a hiring manager tell me they didn't like a candidate because their email domain made them look lazy and dates them because their opinion is Gmail is the best, they would be getting some coaching and push back from me.

I'd more more concerned if someone didn't have an email address at all... There are way better ways to assess if someone is technologically savvy.
  • Options
    I hire students at a college, so I prefer they just use their school domains, helps avoid issues with spam filters. Once they're hired I do tell them I'll only contact them at that address. But during the hiring process if they want to use their personal email I can't stop them, but I will definitely raise an eyebrow and maybe not give as serious consideration to a candidate with an email like sweetiecutie10437xxx@whatever.com. I'd prefer they use their own name, or as close to it as they can.

For domain, I don't care really. As long as it doesn't create any issues with our ability to communicate via email. If the candidate's emails aren't getting to me or vice versa, that's obviously an issue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've screened a lot of resumes and done some hiring, and while it would never disqualify anyone in my eyes, an AOL address does get a head tilt from me.  Like, my dad is the only other person I know still using AOL.  And while the resume would speak for itself, I work in marketing, and it's important to be up to date on trends and life in general.  (Not necessarily trends like fashion, just being aware of what is current in the world at large.)  So someone applying for a job with an AOL address is putting out one piece of information that says this aspect of their professional life isn't very current.  Maybe their resume will demonstrate that they are all over social media and maintain a kickass personal website and all kinds of good stuff, in which case the AOL thing is surprising, but not relevant.  But usually, in my experience, it's a symptom of a larger disconnect with technology.  Which is problematic.

Yahoo/Hotmail/etc. don't really give me feelings one way or another, though I see them more with parents (class emails, swim team, etc.) than people I interact with professionally.  (I saw @cs.com once and had to look it up:  CompuServe!  That was nostalgic.)     
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    I read an article about this on linkedin a while back. The hiring managers didn't think it mattered, but they actually had been more likely to screen out applicants with yahoo emails. The implication was that it was subconscious. It wasn't exactly a scientific study, so anecdotal evidence at best. 

I don't know if it's true or not, and assume that the industry probably plays a role. Still, since it takes 20 second to set up a free gmail account, I'd probably do it and forward it to my preferred address. 

ETA: words
  • Options
    Is it a sweeping generalization? Totally. I'll own that. And it's wrong in a lot of instances, like most sweeping generalizations are. Would it affect my likelihood of calling someone, so long as their qualifications fit the position I was hypothetically hiring for? Absolutely not. Qualifications win out over any contact info, obviously - completely discounting a potential employee over their email domain is about as stupid as completely discounting them over their cell phone provider. I just think, personally, that there are better, more relevant providers out there than hotmail and yahoo, and it takes 20 seconds to get a better provider and link it up with your preferred email. I - again, personally - wonder why someone who's trying to get into a competitive job market, especially given the prevalence of technology in damn near every job, wouldn't try to present themselves as up-to-date on the most useful technology.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    The AOL thing with a/s/l/ IS a joke. My family got on AOL over 15 years ago at least, when you had modems and all sorts of archaic tools. 

Kids (and adults) spent time in chat rooms. 

"a/s/l" is just getting everyone to type in their age, sex, and location. 

I still have an AOL account for newsletters and shopping and stuff. I had a firstnamelastname@yahoo.com until it got hacked or something at least twice. Switched to GMail, haven't looked back.  As long as professionals are using firstnamelastname addresses, I couldn't care less what the provider is. 

• Options

The AOL thing with a/s/l/ IS a joke. My family got on AOL over 15 years ago at least, when you had modems and all sorts of archaic tools. 

Kids (and adults) spent time in chat rooms. 

"a/s/l" is just getting everyone to type in their age, sex, and location. 

I still have an AOL account for newsletters and shopping and stuff. I had a firstnamelastname@yahoo.com until it got hacked or something at least twice. Switched to GMail, haven't looked back.  As long as professionals are using firstnamelastname addresses, I couldn't care less what the provider is. 
    Yeahhhh, I know what it means.
  • Options
    I agree with PP's. I don't so much look at the domain but their actually user name. Again, beachottiexoxox@gmail.com is worse than JaneSmith09@yahoo.com.

FWIW, I stopped using Yahoo! after being hacked a few times as well.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

I agree with PP's. I don't so much look at the domain but their actually user name. Again, beachottiexoxox@gmail.com is worse than JaneSmith09@yahoo.com.

FWIW, I stopped using Yahoo! after being hacked a few times as well.
    I was hacked a couple times, but now I have two step verification, and haven't had any problems since. OMG, yahoo has 2 step verification, can you believe that since it's so old technology wise. 

Also, if I were 21 right now, no I would not have a yahoo email, but I've been at my current job since 2008 (yup I love my job and am loyal, sue me). Gmail has only been available to the public since 2007. And I do have a gmail, I just don't use it regularly. 

• Options

I do hiring and I only judge on the part. "hotsexychick0215550" will not be getting a call from me.

Even something like "Ilovegardening02" is ok

However I still use Hotmail...I know I know but I've had the same email for like 15 years and I have a lot of family and family friends that I only hear from randomly so I just like to stick with the email that everybody knows they can reach me at.

• Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    shanliann said:

I do hiring and I only judge on the part. "hotsexychick0215550" will not be getting a call from me.

Even something like "Ilovegardening02" is ok

However I still use Hotmail...I know I know but I've had the same email for like 15 years and I have a lot of family and family friends that I only hear from randomly so I just like to stick with the email that everybody knows they can reach me at.

Same here.

I've had my hotmail account for so long.  Even before I left for the islands, so 17 years ago.   I've physically moved so often. 4 states + 1 territory (2 different islands), well it's been my only constant. I can't even tell you how many phone numbers I've had since then too.   People can always reach me via that email.  

I do have a gmail account, but I only use if for spam emails.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Seeing a @juno.com domain makes me

• Options

LOL my grandpa has a Juno account still.  He's 95. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options

LOL my grandpa has a Juno account still.  He's 95. 
    lol My point EXACTLY. 

Not saying I wouldn't hire the person, but I'd love to have them in for an interview and ask them how the Depression was.

• Options
    I made fun of my sister for getting a yahoo email address when she got divorced/changed her name. She still got a great nursing job, though.

The only reason I'd side-eye AOL is because it is actually bad--like, when clients at my old firm had AOL addresses they were often unable to receive emails with large attachments (such as, oh, I don't know, the edited manuscript they wrote), plus whenever we had an email snafu, theirs were among the last to be "released" from the servers because of something to do with their older/shittier security functions.

I'm definitely partial to gmail. I wouldn't avoid hiring someone who used anything else, but I'd be curious.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    I have a yahoo address for junk. It spams people SO OFTEN (no matter how many steps I take against it) that I would be afraid of interviewing for a job then spamming the organization.

THAT is a bad impression.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't do hiring, and I have to ditto PP's who have said the first part of the email address is much MORE important than the domain, but I DO side-eye Hotmail and Yahoo domains. It has absolutely nothing to do with their performance, and everything to do with that fact that I haven't touched my Yahoo account since I was in middle school. I'm with HelloSweetie on the "sweeping generalizations," but since and especially because the question was asking whether or not people might judge, my answer would be: it is definitely possible. If I were hiring, it wouldn't disqualify you and I wouldn't move your resume into a "meh" pile, but I would probably be like "Haha. Yahoo."

ETA: For the record, I personally use my apple email address, but my office uses Gmail.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards