Wedding Invitations & Paper

Addressing my invites and handwriting issues

I just got the call that my invites came in so I'm going to pick them up tomorrow - yay!

Our invites are pretty fancy, letterpress and engraved on high quality paper. 

We didn't budget for a calligrapher, and we just can't swing it since we have gone over budget on too many other things as it is. My handwriting isn't horrible, but I feel like the lack of elegance on the envelopes is going to stand out even more since the invites are so fancy.

I've bought a calligraphy pen and played around with the whole printing in light gray and tracing over method. It looks okay but it is going to take me HOURS. 

Am I over thinking this? Does anybody have any other suggestions? Should I just write in my own handwriting as neatly as possible? 

Re: Addressing my invites and handwriting issues

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    The most formal, correct way of addressing your invitations is to carefully address them in your own handwriting.  I think that professional calligraphy is a waste of money.  JMHO.

(Hint)  Draw heavy black guide lines on an index card.  Insert the card inside the envelope.  You can see the black lines through the paper.  Write the address very lightly in pencil.  Remove the guide card.  Now trace over your pencil writing with a black pen.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I can honestly say that I would never compare someone's handwriting to the fanciness of the invitations and think their handwriting was not nice enough for the invitations. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't even notice how envelops are addressed/written. It immediately gets ripped and thrown in the trash.

So I wouldn't stress out too much and just use best handwriting.
  • Ok. I feel better. I new I was being a little crazy. The index card method is also a great idea. 

I am not a DIY person at all, addressing my invites is pretty much one of the only "projects" I have to do. So I've had lots of time to over think this one. :)
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    As long as your writing is legible, it doesn't matter if it's calligraphy or regular handwriting. I like calligraphy myself, but obviously there are much more important things to budget for.
  • Just find a fancy font and print on them. Nobody is going to look at the envelopes and go "wow so inconsiderate of her to not hire a calligrapher to do her invites, pfffffh". We live in the 21st century with technology for a reason I don't want to hand write 100 envelopes just because that's the way its been done for 100's of years. I doubt people will even notice or even know that its "proper etiquette" they are just going to open it, look at the invitation and trash the envelope before giving it a second look. Don't stress over it. Personally, I have terrible handwriting and im OCD about it looking perfect so I would rather print it than attempt it and it look sloppy
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I have pretty awful handwriting. I ended up practicing a simple form of calligraphy (over and over and over again) and hand addressed my invitations that way. My invitations came with a card included that had thick black lines, but I also really like the index card idea! It really wasn't that bad. I did a few every night until they were done so I didn't wear myself out or get overly frustrated with my mistakes.

My only advice IF you do hand-address or do your own calligraphy is to make sure you have plenty of extra envelopes. I made more than a few mistakes with misspelled names or addresses or a badly formed letter.

• Calligraphy = beautiful handwriting.  There is nothing special about it.  There are lots of books available to guide you to improve your handwriting (calligraphy).
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Just find a fancy font and print on them. Nobody is going to look at the envelopes and go "wow so inconsiderate of her to not hire a calligrapher to do her invites, pfffffh". We live in the 21st century with technology for a reason I don't want to hand write 100 envelopes just because that's the way its been done for 100's of years. I doubt people will even notice or even know that its "proper etiquette" they are just going to open it, look at the invitation and trash the envelope before giving it a second look. Don't stress over it. Personally, I have terrible handwriting and im OCD about it looking perfect so I would rather print it than attempt it and it look sloppy

I'm just doing them in my own handwriting. I think printing is way too impersonal. 
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Here is a great "guideline tool" I just ordered it to help me do my envelopes. I am in the same boat...really nice letterpress invites but have gone over budget. I have nice handwritting just want them to be straight =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards