Destination Weddings Discussions

Ceremony in Scotland Castle but troubles on Celebration Venue!!

this has been haunting me day and night regardless the time we have before the wedding.Me and My Fiance plan on having a are getting married here(Look at picture) our ceremony will be there. But we are having  a pure white with a touch of Tiffany blue theme.We are having trouble deciding where to have our reception. We liked the idea of an outdoor reception since we are gonna marry in Summer but In Scotland it tends to rain a lot. Yet we really wanna have our celebration under the stars. This means a lot to us both since we were long distance and "All Of These Stars" by Ed Sheeran was Our song. He dedicated it to me when we first started to date long distance. idk what to do! 

HELP!!!

Re: Ceremony in Scotland Castle but troubles on Celebration Venue!!

• Is there room to hold the reception indoors in case of inclement weather? Do you have a coordinator or planner than can assist you with making a Plan B?

If you want an outdoor reception then by all means do it. You may need some heating element regardless of rain though.
  • yes we know heat can also be a problem. 
  • And I dont think it has space for the reception since This is a castle like church

• I don't think any of us are familiar enough with Scotland or your venue to assist with finding a good reception location. I recommend hiring a local wedding coordinator or, if your FI wants to take it on, he can help scout out options while he is in Scotland. Remember to find a place that has options for indoors if the weather is bad and keep it within a decent commute from the ceremony location (no more than 30 minutes drive at the absolute most. 10-20 minutes preferrably.)

• As someone who always wanted a sunset beach wedding I can not strongly recommend enough to have a backup plan.

I ended up getting married under a tent due to a tropical storm.     Still the most amazing day, but you can plan all you want, yet Mother Nature is always in control.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Are both of you British? Or EU citizens? It is hard to get married in the UK if you don't have residency and visas. You have to have bans read and residency there, so you need to have visas and live there for at least a few months.

There is no way I would even consider an outdoor wedding in Scotland- it rains all the time! Maybe set up a marquee but you would still need flooring and heaters. I was at the Edinburgh royal tattoo in August, I have never been in such downpours in my entire life. I was freezing and soaked ( and it was the middle of summer!)
  • I second the suggestion of enlisting a local wedding coordinator. We got married in Ireland, planned everything long distance via Skype phone and email from the US, and relying on the expertise of - well, experts - was enormously helpful.

I strongly, strongly recommend not going without a rain plan - we had one by default as it also rains frequently in Ireland. Good news is, it happens so often that we found everyone very comfortable with the idea of making a shift to indoor everything if necessary. We lucked out with a fair day but I felt a lot better knowing that someone else would make the call if needed and that the change in plans would be second nature. 

You may have to come to a place where "under the stars" means "under a tent, with the possibility of stepping out under the stars" is okay with you - the weather will do what it's going to do, so let it go and enjoy the other aspects of your lovely day!
  • My fiance is from Scotland and im From US. and I think we are going with an indoor reception?
  • Korraav said:

My fiance is from Scotland and im From US. and I think we are going with an indoor reception?

How do fiance visas work in that part of the world? I'm only familiar with how they work with the US.
    edited May 2015
    My fiance is from Scotland and im From US. and I think we are going with an indoor reception?
    How do fiance visas work in that part of the world? I'm only familiar with how they work with the US.
    You need to apply for a fiancé visa. Your fiancé must have earned at least £18600 a year and have maintenance funds held for at least 3 months (I think this is £1500). This all needs to be proven with bank statements and payslips. He must have earned it, not going to earn it- meaning he has to have had the job that earns at least £18600 for a year not a promised salary. You have to be present to have your bans read in the UK (residency for at least 2 months). Plus your fiancé must demonstrate he is a uk resident with a council tax bill in the previous 3 months and show the house he has rented for both of you to reside. You really can only get married in the UK if you are living here and plan to reside here afterwards. It isn't a very easy place to have a destination wedding, and impossible to just fly in and fly out to get married.
  • I just went on a Scotland Gov Web page and it says
    • EU citizens can stay in Scotland as long as required.
  • without the need of a Visa. 
  • Korraav said:

I just went on a Scotland Gov Web page and it says

You aren't a EU citizen. Your FI is, though.US citizens do not need a travel visa, either, unless staying more than 90 days.  And the type of visa it was referencing is a travel visa, not a marriage visa.

I highly recommend reading the link below, especially the part about immigration control, which you will fall under.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/how-do-i-go-about-it

edited May 2015
    Korraav said:

I just went on a Scotland Gov Web page and it says

You aren't a EU citizen. Your FI is, though.US citizens do not need a travel visa, either, unless staying more than 90 days.  And the type of visa it was referencing is a travel visa, not a marriage visa.

I highly recommend reading the link below, especially the part about immigration control, which you will fall under.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/registration/getting-married-in-scotland/how-do-i-go-about-it

You are a US citizen, not an EU citizen. Also, realise that the UK border and immigration laws supercede Scotland law. So your Fiance can stay in Scotland as long as he would like, you can't.

Also note, you can't get married on a tourist visa. You could get married on a Marriage Visitor visa but I HIGHLY suggest you apply for it now as they are likely to get rid of this soon (but is only valid for 6 months and you MUST leave the UK afterwards). They are cracking down on EU/nonEU marriages in the UK because there is a lot of immigration fraud. 

Also, they just extended the wait from 15 days to minimum 28 days (but likely up to 70 days) The part where it says there is no residency requirements is for UK citizens- as you are American you are subject to immigration control. Plus you need to show a marriage visa. They legally cannot marry you without it and the officiant will turn you away on the day.

• OP, Please listen to @LondonLisa. The UK is Bureaucracy Hell when it comes to Visas. I can tell you that if you live abroad and come back to marry in the UK, you are scrutinized by the Government. It happened to a former co-worker. There is much hoop jumping and if you are a dual citizen or marrying someone from overseas, it's worse.
  • Thank You girls. Me and my FI are on that imedietly 
  • My fiance is from Scotland and im From US. and I think we are going with an indoor reception?
    You need to apply for a fiancé visa. Your fiancé must have earned at least £18600 a year and have maintenance funds held for at least 3 months (I think this is £1500). This all needs to be proven with bank statements and payslips. He must have earned it, not going to earn it- meaning he has to have had the job that earns at least £18600 for a year not a promised salary. You have to be present to have your bans read in the UK (residency for at least 2 months). Plus your fiancé must demonstrate he is a uk resident with a council tax bill in the previous 3 months and show the house he has rented for both of you to reside. You really can only get married in the UK if you are living here and plan to reside here afterwards. It isn't a very easy place to have a destination wedding, and impossible to just fly in and fly out to get married.
    So perhaps they should just have the honeymoon over there, then?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards