Chit Chat

AW Life Update (with GIFs!)

So I haven't been around much lately, but I have a very good reason! I have limited data at the moment and I've been putting most of it into my studies. Last Friday I completed a Diploma in English Language and Literature. image
I'm also working on a diploma in Customer Service, a diploma in Multimedia Development, a diploma in Social Media Marketing, a course in Aesop's Fables, and a course in Pre-Algebra Mathematics (because I'm rusty). Once I get through all of these, and can get the money together, I'm going to do a scriptwriting course as well.image

DH had to be in the city on Monday for appointments with his nephrologist and pulmonologist, so we took advantage of it and traveled up on Saturday to surprise my mom for Mother's Day. image

I did not know what to expect, since I get half the story from her and half the story from my sister (who is prone to exaggeration). She's lost a LOT of weight, but she looked much better than I was expecting. She was very tired though.

She saw the oncologist on Monday afternoon, and the news was NOT good. The chemo she was on wasn't working as well as the doctor wanted, and her hemoglobin count was way down. So on Tuesday when DH and I left to come back home, sis took her in to the hospital for a blood transfusion and a new, more aggressive chemo treatment.
I spoke to her last night, and she's feeling fine. She's very positive. So that's a good thing.

My brother is in Hong Kong right now, with a tour of Sound of Music. He is loving it. Also getting loads of compliments and positivity about him and his career from other professional musicians in SA. So yeah!

Sis is still married, but apparently only because she needs him to get to and from work because she doesn't drive. Yeah. That's healthy.

I'm still job-searching. I'm waiting to hear about a proofreading position (the hiring process is on hold until the hiring manager gets back from his honeymoon). But we've decided to stay in this flat as long as possible, so we're getting DSL put in and hopefully I'll be able to freelance a bit more. Of course the DSL process is also a crapshoot, because hooray government-endorsed monopolies, right? So it could be another couple of months until we actually GET it.

Our BM introduced us to a friend of his who is really, super into board games. So pretty much every weekend for the last two months, we've been playing designer board games with him. It is so. much. fun. 
He also has the most adorable pet bunny, who I love to pieces even though I am horribly allergic and want to die every time we visit - even with antihistamines.
I have a World of Darkness game that I want to run for us, but it needs more than just the three of us to play. Two of our friends are coming down from the city at the end of June, luckily, so we'll play it then.

And I have an ostrich neck stew going in the slow cooker at the moment, so it will be ready for supper in about 10 hours. DH wants me to make an apple crumble as well, but all I can think is:image

So TL;DR
imageDaisypath Friendship tickers

Re: AW Life Update (with GIFs!)

• Ugh so sorry to hear a its ur mom. I hope the new treatment is better, though. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Post pics of the ostrich! If you took any that is!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:

Ugh so sorry to hear a its ur mom. I hope the new treatment is better, though. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Post pics of the ostrich! If you took any that is!

Thanks! It's a much more aggressive treatment, so we are fully expexpecting Mom to get a lot worse (at least in terms of the nausea, pain, exhaustion etc.) before she gets better, but the doctor has very high hopes for this treatment. Mom says the drip is very pretty colour, so at least there's some small pleasantness about it!

I really wish I had taken pics, but DH and I were both so hungry after smelling it cooking all day that we just dove right in. I'm definitely going to make it again though, DH loved it, and ostrich neck is very cheap (because everyone is grossed out by it, or doesn't know how to cook it). So I will be sure to take pictures then!
  • Sending all the good vibes for your mom.  Glad to hear the doctor is hopeful and that other good things are happening for you!  And your brother, that's super awesome.  He must be really talented.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Sending all the good vibes for your mom.  Glad to hear the doctor is hopeful and that other good things are happening for you!  And your brother, that's super awesome.  He must be really talented.

Thanks JC! I might be biased, but I honestly believe he is one of the best young classical trumpeters in the world. Word in SA music circles is he's already the best in the country. I burst with sisterly pride.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards