Catholic Weddings

Catholic ceremony - Previously married- no dispensation papers found!!

This is driving me nuts-here's the scenario:
Me ex husband is Jewish
I am Catholic
We were married in a Catholic church by both a PRIEST and a RABBI- they shared the altar during the ceremony. 
The church where i was married CAN NOT FIND any dispensation papers in their records, which is what needs to be filed with the chancery to allow a Catholic marry a non Catholic. 
They are checking with the chancery, but if this paperwork was not filed, was my marriage valid? If it was not valid, would I still need an annulment? 
Thanks,
J

Re: Catholic ceremony - Previously married- no dispensation papers found!!

• mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    You'd probably need to put this somewhere else. The board is for dresses and such :) I would try out the etiquette board.

ETA:Also, the church you're wanting to marry in (if it's another catholic church) should be able to tell you if you need an annulment. I'm not sure what you mean by "valid" though. Valid to the church or valid to the county/state in which you live?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Yes, you need an annulment.  My mother was  married in an interfaith (Methodist-Catholic) ceremony.  It lasted 4 years.  Her ex-husband could not remarry in the church.  Since his next wife was divorced five times already, I don't think that was a possibility, anyway.  That lasted 7 years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Yes, you need an annulment.  My mother was  married in an interfaith (Methodist-Catholic) ceremony.  It lasted 4 years.  Her ex-husband could not remarry in the church.  Since his next wife was divorced five times already, I don't think that was a possibility, anyway.  That lasted 7 years.

What?  How is any of this relevant to OP's question?

• @buttercup1958 Do you want to move this to Catholic weddings (or etiquette, ceremony, etc)?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• not all catholic churches require a dispensation my parents come from different faiths dads catholic moms orthodox christian this was the 70s and the catholic church married them.

when i was planning my wedding we talked to the deacon of his church and my priest  to see if he needed anything from his church to marry in mine and we brought up the off chance that if we had to get married in his church would we need a dispensation and the answer was no because i was an orthodox christian and its the only other religion that the catholic church recognizes.

could it be possible papers were filled out lost and never filed? does the church even have a record of your marriage at all?  
  • @hellohkb yes please. That would make more sense. I'll move it!
  • Viczaesar said:

CMGragain said:

Interfaith marriage needing annulments for later marriage?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Viczaesar said:

CMGragain said:

Interfaith marriage needing annulments for later marriage?
    @CMGragain, extraneous personal detail, as usual, plus that wasn't actually OP's question.  She wants to know if she still needs to get an annulment if the paperwork was never valid because it was not officially/successfully filed.  She didn't ask if she needs an annulment for an interfaith marriage.

• Thanks to whomever moved this thread and tried to help. 
    My original question still stands:
    If I did not receive a dispensation from the church, was my first marriage valid? Are there any steps I need to take?
    Thanks again!
  • Technically, if a dispensation wasn't received, it would not be valid. You still must go through the church for paperwork though. 

However, if its simply a clerical error, and it just didn't get recorded somehow, then that is a little more sticky.

I think you should get a copy of your baptismal certificate to see if a marriage was recorded, and if at all possible, contact the priest who performed the ceremony and inquire with him.

Having a rabbi at the altar to "co marry" you guys is not allowed in the church. Perhaps this priest took many other liberties. 
  • Another option, if you are now marrying someone who is baptized, is possibly a dissolution of the bond for petrine or pauline priveledge. 
  • Thanks so much for your answer agapecarrie. Very helpful! I am still waiting to hear form my priest who contacted the diocese. I did order a copy of my baptismal certificate, and hope to get it in the next few days. 
    The priest who performed my ceremony is not with the church... there were some accusations and he was asked to leave. I am hoping this could all possibly benefit someone (me!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards