Chit Chat

Brad's mom gave us a rock.

Re: Brad's mom gave us a rock.

• luckya23 said:

I need opinions on this other random gift.  It's a door knocker with "our" last name on it, although I'm not changing my name.  So say "our" last name is Laddy.  This is definitely wrong, right?

THE LADDY'S

UGH YESSS SO WRONG.

I hate the incorrecly used apostrophe SO BAD.
    Unless it's a property tag for the house and not a sign proclaiming who lives inside. Ya know, bc the Laddy family owns the house therefore possessive :p But that might be too deep for a door knocker.

Seriously tho...who uses door knockers any more. Haven't they gone the way of the manual car window? What house doesn't come standard with a doorbell these days?? :D
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• luckya23 said:

I need opinions on this other random gift.  It's a door knocker with "our" last name on it, although I'm not changing my name.  So say "our" last name is Laddy.  This is definitely wrong, right?

THE LADDY'S

UGH YESSS SO WRONG.

Unless it's a property tag for the house and not a sign proclaiming who lives inside. Ya know, bc the Laddy family owns the house therefore possessive :p But that might be too deep for a door knocker.

Seriously tho...who uses door knockers any more. Haven't they gone the way of the manual car window? What house doesn't come standard with a doorbell these days?? :D
    Oh I totally want a fancy doorknocker when we get a house, we have a tiny one on our front door now that is standard on all the condos in our complex. We have a doorbell too. But a doorknocker is so fancy and grown up!

Don't knock my knocker, unless you are knocking to come in and knock my other knockers! 
  • MagicInk said:

luckya23 said:

THE LADDY'S

UGH YESSS SO WRONG.

Oh I totally want a fancy doorknocker when we get a house,
    we have a tiny one on our front door now that is standard on all the condos in our complex. We have a doorbell too. But a doorknocker is so fancy and grown up!

Don't knock my knocker, unless you are knocking to come in and knock my other knockers! 

Ditto this! There were some AMAZING door knockers in Italy. Every time we took a walk I'd end up taking pictures of random peoples' front doors. 
  • People were not too bad with us. We did get a bunch of religious art stuff - some decent, some not-so-good. I think a lot of people who wanted to go "personal" with the gifts were like, "She teaches church! That's a thing we know about her. We should get them this. They would like it."...obviously not thinking that if it were really that pretty or a kind of art I wanted, I probably already own it. Most of those gifts aren't out on display because a) they're not that great and b) while I don't mind displaying that it's a religious household, it doesn't have to cover everything, and IMO it's the quality, not the quantity. Some have already been donated/regifted.

There was also a certain lovely pewter cake plate ;)

• We received a Swedish door harp as a wedding gift. Instead of replacing the doorbell, it just lets you know when people come and go. We still don't know how it sounds when properly used, as the apt door is metal. May hang it on a door in new house, idk.

We also received some very fugly decorative wedding towels. The kind where some one hot glued and bedazzled the shit out of some cheese cloths with a bride and groom bird design with a wedding cake and similar things. I had them displayed because they came from a friend of my parents (and I wrote a nice note, damnit. When my folks saw them and asked who sent them, they assured me that my vision and taste were not screwed up and the towels were terrible. I think they are in the cat's room, because they sparkle.

• anjemon said:

Most of our wedding/shower gifts were off the registry and completely normal. H's friends gave us board games as wedding gifts, which was really awesome because we used to D&D together. We've played one of the games, Pandemic, a few times and it's lot of fun. The other two were Dungeons and Dragon-themed Clue and World of Warcraft-theme Trivial Pursuit... those have not been opened yet :/

YAS I AM COMPLETELY OBSESSED WITH PANDEMIC.
    We got Pandemic too! We're playing it on Friday with the friends that gave it to us :) I'm excited because we haven't gotten a change to play yet.

We got a lot of board games for the wedding. But they were all on our registry. We like playing together and we like playing with friends. We figure it was a more fun thing that people could get us, and they definitely went fast.
    It's a lot of fun, and it works well for us because it's a cooperative game (and I'm competitive). Our local games shop has a bunch of expansions for it, but I've been waffling on whether or not to get them because we never really play with more than 4 people, and never really win unless we do the "easy" mode.
  • hellosweetie, I love your new siggie.  I went to bed after the first overtime.  FH got home from the bar and I groggily asked him how it went.  He said it went well, but that the winning score that they thought was the winning score, wasn't because a headbutt doesn't count.  Since I was half asleep I didn't really think about it until I saw your siggie.  That's awesome.
  • My MiL makes these wreaths from seeds and sticks she finds during nature walks. It would be cute but they're just so...rustic. So of course she had to gift one to me and DH.
  • arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

We received a Swedish door harp as a wedding gift. Instead of replacing the doorbell, it just lets you know when people come and go. We still don't know how it sounds when properly used, as the apt door is metal. May hang it on a door in new house, idk.

We also received some very fugly decorative wedding towels. The kind where some one hot glued and bedazzled the shit out of some cheese cloths with a bride and groom bird design with a wedding cake and similar things. I had them displayed because they came from a friend of my parents (and I wrote a nice note, damnit. When my folks saw them and asked who sent them, they assured me that my vision and taste were not screwed up and the towels were terrible. I think they are in the cat's room, because they sparkle.

I had to Google door harp because I have never heard of such an item. A harp for the door?!?
  • DH's relatives in Mexico all sent decorative pottery jugs. The gifts were all from relatives that I've never met and DH hasn't seen since he was a kid. We have 6 now. We also have a tiny house.

They're currently stashed away. They'll be pulled out if/when the relatives ever come to the US. I have them labeled by giver, just in case.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    arrippa said:

We received a Swedish door harp as a wedding gift. Instead of replacing the doorbell, it just lets you know when people come and go. We still don't know how it sounds when properly used, as the apt door is metal. May hang it on a door in new house, idk.

I had to Google door harp because I have never heard of such an item. A harp for the door?!?
    My Mom (and possibly her mother) had one of these when I was a kid. I love when strange things from my childhood pop back up. I always loved playing with it.

Of course my grandmother is fairly seriously Swedish in tradition so it makes sense. She might have even painted it because she used to like to do kurbits art.
  • Should have also mentioned with the Swedish door harp....Dh is not Swedish. I am not Swedish. Gifted is not Swedish. My godmother is Swedish born and raised in Stockholm, and when she heard about the door harp, she looked at me with an expression of "who the hell buys that crap anymore?!"
  • Kahlyla said:

luckya23 said:

THE LADDY'S

The Laddy's what? Kilt? Sheep?
    House. Or residence. I think it only makes sense in that context.

• anjemon said:

Most of our wedding/shower gifts were off the registry and completely normal. H's friends gave us board games as wedding gifts, which was really awesome because we used to D&D together. We've played one of the games, Pandemic, a few times and it's lot of fun. The other two were Dungeons and Dragon-themed Clue and World of Warcraft-theme Trivial Pursuit... those have not been opened yet :/

We got Pandemic too! We're playing it on Friday with the friends that gave it to us :) I'm excited because we haven't gotten a change to play yet.

We got a lot of board games for the wedding. But they were all on our registry. We like playing together and we like playing with friends. We figure it was a more fun thing that people could get us, and they definitely went fast.
    Are you guys getting the expansions too? They're fun!
  • My cousin taped a vibrating penis ring and a bottle of lube to the knife set she bought us.  Gave it to me at my shower.  She'd already come to my bachelorette and gave me a few pairs of lingerie - pretty tame.  But yea, then she decided to go with the vibrating ring for my shower.  She did it on purpose, and I got a good laugh.  It was pretty funny.

We didn't get any really weird gifts.
  • Not a bad gift, but kind of odd. 

My MIL waited until after all the other gifts has been opened at the shower and then walked up to me and handed me an envelope and a jewelry box. It was a pair of earrings H's dad had given to her on their first anniversary. Her little card said that after their divorce, she decided she would save the earrings for H's future wife (or if she ever had a daughter). MIL & FIL had a short marriage and a nasty divorce and they still talk endless shit about each other. The earrings are nice enough but I can't see myself ever wearing them. I kind of think it's kind of odd that she said she saved them for H's wife when H was like less than five when they got divorced. 
    Here's to YOUR divorce too... ugh. Awkward.
  • kikilamp said:

I didn't get anything too too crazy, but one aunt gave us a cutting board in the shape of the state she lives in. Not the state we live in, but her state. I think she thought it was a square and grabbed it. FI and I laugh about it now but it was suuuuper awkward to open and show everyone.

We got a cutting board in the shape of our state from a friend.  Not anything we ever would have picked out ourselves, but still cute.  We hung it in the kitchen as a decoration.
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper

anjemon said:

Are you guys getting the expansions too? They're fun!
    Not sure, but probably. We own expansions for virtually ever other game we own (that has them). Also we just had to turn down other friends who wanted to play games on Friday because our game is only for 2 - 4 people and we really want to play Pandemic with the friends who gave it to us. So an expansion would be nice for allowing more friends to hang out.
  • No weird gifts here. 

@MagicInk, In a dream life I would totally do some digging to find out who left you the bible and then leave subversive materials behind (in some covert place where they'll find it long after and be confused and consternated) whenever you next visit. 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• At my shower on May 16th, I had a wishing well that was alphabet themed (bring an item starting with the letter assigned to you on your invitation. I'm a teacher and I like random things). I received Nesquick (their letter was Q, apparently it just used to be called quick) and a can of green beans. As far as actual gifts went, everyone stuck to the registry. 
  • So while I was making my registry I had a good time sending my two best friends links to the stupidest things I could possibly find from the store we were registered at... and one of them was this weird silver octopus statue? My one friend thought it was REALLY funny and kept being like "Haha I'm really going to get you that!".

I decided I had to step in when my OTHER friend told me octopus-statue-loving-friend was starting to talk about getting our other friends to go in together on getting the octopus for me as a joke gift, but it was like at least a hundred dollars and so I had to figure out a way to really gently say "Haha yeah that would be so funny, we have nowhere to put it though!"

So weird wedding gift avoided.

I love the idea of gifting board games though, I'm gonna keep that in mind for the future! My favorite gift I got was a cookbook from some close family friends (they were actually the best man and maid of honor at my parent's wedding) heavily annotated with little alterations, notes, and stories about times they'd prepared each recipe with their own family and with my parents back in "the old days." So cute!
  • 500days500days member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I had my shower last weekend and I received a couple unexpected gifts (off registry). I got a scrapbook box with 4 mason jars filled with the crinkley decorative paper. It looked like a pinterest creation. The entire box was filled with the crinkley paper strips and I poked around to see if there was anything besides the mason jars, but that was the gift. I liked the idea, I would just fill it with different things. We also got the mugs that say "I do" and "I do whatever she tells me to do". Eh.
  • dcaviston said:

At my shower on May 16th, I had a wishing well that was alphabet themed (bring an item starting with the letter assigned to you on your invitation. I'm a teacher and I like random things). I received Nesquick (their letter was Q, apparently it just used to be called quick) and a can of green beans. As far as actual gifts went, everyone stuck to the registry. 

Oh good, a ploy for extra gifts. My favorite. I probably would have given you a can of green beans from my pantry too.
  • MizLiz3MizLiz3 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    dcaviston said:

At my shower on May 16th, I had a wishing well that was alphabet themed (bring an item starting with the letter assigned to you on your invitation. I'm a teacher and I like random things). I received Nesquick (their letter was Q, apparently it just used to be called quick) and a can of green beans. As far as actual gifts went, everyone stuck to the registry. 

What the hell is an alphabet themed wishing well?  This sounds ridiculous; you're not a food pantry.  I'm a teacher and I don't think that has anything to do with liking this random thing.
  • We got a framed ink drawing of a sheep's head. Not the whole sheep, just the head. It's surrounded by leaves or something, so it sort of looks like the sheep head is bursting out at you. This came from my dad's artist friends, drawn by the wife. There's a sticker on the back with all the info about the drawing and the price coloured over, so this sheep drawing was clearly in her gallery for sale. It came wrapped in a dish towel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Ugh, I feel so ungrateful admitting this ... we got a quilt. Like a handmade quilt. A queen-sized quilt. It's goldenrod yellow, pale blue, and chocolate brown. No room in our house is any of these colors (to be fair, our house doesn't have a color scheme, we just threw our stuff on the walls and went "looks good to me"). And it's not even as pretty as I'm describing it. I wish it was. The giver obviously went to a lot of work, but it's not my style and it's not H's style.
  • Ugh, I feel so ungrateful admitting this ... we got a quilt. Like a handmade quilt. A queen-sized quilt. It's goldenrod yellow, pale blue, and chocolate brown. No room in our house is any of these colors (to be fair, our house doesn't have a color scheme, we just threw our stuff on the walls and went "looks good to me"). And it's not even as pretty as I'm describing it. I wish it was. The giver obviously went to a lot of work, but it's not my style and it's not H's style.
    That's prime for being used UNDER something.   Or use it as a sick blanket.   

I haven't seen it yet, but we are also getting a quilt from FI's grandma (the same one who gifted the tea set!).  She's an amazing quilter, but it's not really anything I ever thought I needed, because I don't intend to decorate my house with quilted things.  Her house has a quilt on every wall, and the church we are getting married in also has her quilted creations everywhere you look!  She gave me a quilted table runner thing (but it's only like 2 ft long) for xmas and I didn't even know what it was.... good thing I have an attic!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:
    Ugh, I feel so ungrateful admitting this ... we got a quilt. Like a handmade quilt. A queen-sized quilt. It's goldenrod yellow, pale blue, and chocolate brown. No room in our house is any of these colors (to be fair, our house doesn't have a color scheme, we just threw our stuff on the walls and went "looks good to me"). And it's not even as pretty as I'm describing it. I wish it was. The giver obviously went to a lot of work, but it's not my style and it's not H's style.

I haven't seen it yet, but we are also getting a quilt from FI's grandma (the same one who gifted the tea set!).  She's an amazing quilter, but it's not really anything I ever thought I needed, because I don't intend to decorate my house with quilted things.  Her house has a quilt on every wall, and the church we are getting married in also has her quilted creations everywhere you look!  She gave me a quilted table runner thing (but it's only like 2 ft long) for xmas and I didn't even know what it was.... good thing I have an attic!

----------------boxes are weird today-------------------------------------

I've gotten quilted table runners, full quilts, and knitted blankets from my mom. She started making me this stuff back when I first moved out 10 years ago, so now i have TONS, and of course I can't just get rid of it cuz I know how much work she puts into all of it. But none of it is my style at all, so it's all stacked in our linen closet. I had one of her quilts on our guest bed, but we're getting rid of the bed to use that room for a different purpose so... no idea what to do with all of it. 

What's worse is that H's mom makes blankets too. When she found out my mom had made us a bunch of blankets, I think she saw it as a competition and also started knitting us a bunch of blankets. They just keep piling up now. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards