Wedding Etiquette Forum

Confused about attire on website

Hi all, longtime lurker, minimal poster....

I wanted to get some ideas for an upcoming event I'm attending.  I'm refraining from posting too many details because of privacy, among other things.  We are attending the "reception" for a couple that got married privately a year ago (yes...I know).  On their website, for attire, they've listed "formal, semi-formal".  And also no jeans. WTF is this supposed to mean? The "reception" is in a lovely event center, w/ cocktail hour and a plated dinner. I hate to be stupid on this one, but a regular cocktail/summer dress (think Express or white house black market) w/ heels should be fine right????  Or do you think I'm going to need to dress it up a bit? Maybe they don't know what formal actually means? 

Re: Confused about attire on website

• redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    abt87 said:

Hi all, longtime lurker, minimal poster....

I wanted to get some ideas for an upcoming event I'm attending.  I'm refraining from posting too many details because of privacy, among other things.  We are attending the "reception" for a couple that got married privately a year ago (yes...I know).  On their website, for attire, they've listed "formal, semi-formal".  And also no jeans. WTF is this supposed to mean? The "reception" is in a lovely event center, w/ cocktail hour and a plated dinner. I hate to be stupid on this one, but a regular cocktail/summer dress (think Express or white house black market) w/ heels should be fine right????  Or do you think I'm going to need to dress it up a bit? Maybe they don't know what formal actually means? 

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what this means. 

I'd just wear a cocktail dress with heels. 
  • Well, they're assholes for multiple reasons.

But I would wear a regular cocktail or summer dress with heels. Better to be dressed up than dressed down. Formal/semi-formal is not a dress code. So you are correct that they have no idea what they're talking about :)

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yeah, that's weird, and a contradiction.

(Also why lurkers, you shouldn't tell your guests how to dress. You think it's helpful but you end up making your guests more confused).

I think a cocktail dress would be just fine based on the location. 
  • Sounds like they're super rude and you will be fine in standard wedding attire cocktail dress.

• Whee what ever the fuck you want to and feel would be appropriate. . . because this couple has no business dictating attire to anyone, let alone for a PPD.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I think they just decided to string words together to make them sound better.   How about formal/semiformal/rustic equestrian chic?

I'd go with a cocktail dress and heels.   
  • abt87abt87 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2015
    Haha thanks for confirming what I was thinking. This whole event is confusing to me. Now shall I buy them a gift off their registry???!!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

(To be clear we got them a wedding gift last year, I was just being snarky)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards