Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tipping Our Free DJ

We are getting our DJ for free as a gift from one of my bridesmaids. Her fiancée owns his own company and he will taking care of all the music. She said he would have to do it himself because if he has one of his employees do, he would have to get paid (obviously)

Since he was going to be a guest anyways and we would have had to provide a meal for a DJ if we paid for one, I don't mind this set-up. I figure he can make a play list for dinner while we all eat and he can be the DJ the rest of the wedding.

Even though his services is our wedding present, I still feel like I should tip him? Or maybe buy him a small Thank You gift? I would just give my BM and him and VERY nice wedding present, but they have not set a date yet and I don't want it to be too long before he gets his "tip"

Suggestions??

Re: Tipping Our Free DJ

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was going to say I would give a free DJ a generous tip based on what you would have had to pay for the service (i.e. 15-20% of the regular price), but since this is a friend I would get him a generous thank you gift.

Seems a bit odd to give cash to a friend (though I give cash as a wedding gift...), like you're paying him, when his services was offered as a wedding gift. I'm thinking something like if he likes scotch, a REALLY nice bottle of it (or whatever else, scotch just came to mind). 
  • Options
    I would not tip him, but I think a nice thank you gift would be nice. However I think relating this thank you gift to their wedding would be rude. You should give him something for doing this for you, and for their wedding get something for them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Our DJ was an uncle who of course offered it as a gift. But with all the uplighting, monogram and awesome music, we felt like a tip would be okay. We tipped what we would if he had charged us.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'd go with a thank you gift or gift card as opposed to a "tip" since he might try to refuse a tip.
  • Options

Thanks ladies!

I agree that a gift related to their wedding is not a good idea.

The wedding is not until next April, so I have plenty of time to come up with a Thank You gift he would like.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards