Budget Weddings Forum

Becoming Ordained

Ever since I picked a date my sister says she wants to marry us. Please tell me some legitimate online sites where she can become ordained for free. 
Thank You!

Re: Becoming Ordained

• mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Universal Life Church. That's where our friend got ordained to be our officiant. But be sure to check with your state laws to make sure it's acceptable and your marriage will be valid.

ETA: I don't think it's free though. The website has all the info. And our marriage is legal in our state with his credentials. 

• www.google.com
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Universal Life Church. That's where our friend got ordained to be our officiant. But be sure to check with your state laws to make sure it's acceptable and your marriage will be valid.

ETA: I don't think it's free though. The website has all the info. And our marriage is legal in our state with his credentials. 

I'm a minister with the Universal Life Church.  Getting ordained cost $6.50.  Getting a paper certificate mailed to you cost $7.50.  My sister was expecting it to cost hundreds, so when she heard it was on fourteen bucks, she didn't even offer to reimburse me.  She also was shocked I didn't have to take a test or anything, just had to spell my name correctly.
  • www.google.com

hey thanks, hadn't tried that already! what a good idea 
  • adk19 said:

Universal Life Church. That's where our friend got ordained to be our officiant. But be sure to check with your state laws to make sure it's acceptable and your marriage will be valid.

I'm a minister with the Universal Life Church.  Getting ordained cost $6.50.  Getting a paper certificate mailed to you cost $7.50.  My sister was expecting it to cost hundreds, so when she heard it was on fourteen bucks, she didn't even offer to reimburse me.  She also was shocked I didn't have to take a test or anything, just had to spell my name correctly.
    thanks guys! :)
  • Be sure to check with your county clerk's office! Some places do not accept online ordinations as valid. Some even require a pastor/priest/clergy member to have their own congregation to be allowed to perform weddings.
  • I'm ULC ordained and so is our officiant. It didn't cost either of us anything but it depends on your state what will be required of your sister and whether it will be valid.
    For example, we live in PA but will be married in NY. New York doesn't require much to be allowed to officiate a wedding, but in PA we would not be able to have my friend as an officiant because they generally require you to have a congregation.
  • My husband got ULC ordained so he could perform the ceremony for his best friend and her partner. It was really simple. They got married in NYC, though, so there was additional paperwork to fill out for that. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Universal Life Church is where my brother just got ordained. It really depends on the state. I am in Ohio, and my brother had to register with the Secretary of State for 10 dollars. There are packages that your sister can buy as well. My brother paid 15 for a fancy cardstock minister license, and then also an extra one to file with the state. Good luck!
  • PBorgstede91 - We're having a friend marry us and I had him ordained through American Marriage Ministries https://theamm.org/ 
    I looked at Universal Life Church but something about all the "Hey! Look at all the Celebrities 
    we ordained!!" turned me off. The AMM site has all the info of what you need state by state,
    instructions on filling out a license, etc. I just really liked them a lot more. It's also free unless
    you want to order extra certificates or publications.
  • My fiance has done 3 weddings, 4th is coming up in August.  He is ordained through Universal Life Church, but he takes it a little more seriously and explains their beliefs to the bride and groom beforehand.  "The Universal Life Church believes that it is every person’s responsibility to act holistically, to do nothing to impinge on the rights of others, and to uphold religious diversity and freedom. Additionally, everyone (men, women, and children from around the globe) must be able to practice their spiritual and religious beliefs without interference or threat from any government, religious, or societal force. The Church does not stand between the member and his or her belief system."

Pretty easy to agree to their beliefs if you are already not very religious... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards