Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

name change

Does ayone have any advice on this? How long does it take? Hefty process? What should I expect?Anything would help! I am moving less than 2 weeks after the wedding with husband as he is military..
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image253 Invited
image123 Accepted
image53 Declined
image99 Leavin' Me hangin
RSVP Date: August 5, 2012

Re: name change

• The first thing you'll want to do is go the social security office and change it there. After I did that, I went to the DMV and got it changed on my license. I think those are the two big ones. After those, I changed it at work, at Grad school, and on my bank accounts/bills. I also changed my major credit card and debit card. I still have some store cards where it's unchanged as I hardly use those and kind of change my name on one when I use it next.

There is a website, misstomrs.com I believe, that charges a fee but will do all the name change work for you. I have a friend who used it and really liked it.

As far as how long it takes on your own, I got all the major stuff changed within a week and probably could have done it even faster.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I got a certified copy of our marriage license one day. The next day I went to the DMV and SS office. Another day I went to the bank and changed my info there. Also made calls the same day to any major bills that were in my name, including drivers insurance. H took care of the health insurance since it is his policy. It isn't a difficult process just takes time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What summer2011bride said, exactly. Immediately after the wedding, I sent in my Marriage Certificate to the county clerk's office so that they can file. I then took it to the SS office with my Licence and Birth Certificate. They mailed me my new SS, and with that, I took it with my Marriage Certificate to the DMV. Got that mailed to me in a few days.

All other things will pretty much just require your new ID and a copy of your Marriage License. I was able to submit most, if not all other changes via Fax or post office. I had all of the above mentioned taken care of within a month MAX.

I don't know anyone who used Ms. now Mrs., so I have no basis of comparison.

• erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Our officiant mailed in our marriage license. It took a month for it to get mailed back from the government. This is why I went in person to get a certified copy. You are able to get a copy as soon as they get the original. From my month board I found there are differences from state to state. It may be easiest to call and ask to make sure what is best for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Everyone has good advice here,  I just thought I'd add that depending where you live, you may or may not automatically be sent a copy of your marriage license.  I live in WA and had to go get certified copies of it, they don't just give you one after it's filed.  A lot of the other April 2012 brides I talk to who live in different states automatically got copies of theirs.  :)

FWIW,  I was able to go to SS and the DMV and get done in under 2 hours.  It was awesome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • JBC123JBC123 member
    First Comment
    I got married this past Saturday and my name change is already done.  I picked up our license from our priest and took it over to the local courthouse.  Lucky for us, they record it right then and there, so I left the courthouse and went right over to the SSA and that took all of two minutes.  Yesterday, I went to the DMV and had my license changed and then went to the bank and had that done. 

You should check with your courthouse where you got the license and see if you walk it in after the wedding if it's recorded right away.  Then you have what you need in hand to take care of SSA and DMV.  And at those two offices, many will allow you to make an appointment so you can have that ready.  You just need to leave 24 hours between SSA and the DMV.

Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards