Wedding Woes

Should I Say Something to my Maid of Honor?

edited May 2015 in Wedding Woes
I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if those of post belongs here but I need to vent it somewhere and would appreciate some advice from an outside source. I've got to know, is it normal to hate nearly everything about your wedding? 

My fiance is overseas and I will be joining him in about a month. We'll be getting married (in one of those quickie civil services over there) in August, then having our wedding celebration back in the U.S. with our family and friends in October. Initially we planned for a very big party with over 200 guests as sort of like a "last hoorah" since it might be the last time we're all together under the same roof for a while. But the more we planned it, the more it just didn't feel like us. We're both generally low key people who like to have a good time and neither of us are really into being the center of attention. The more that was planned, the more it just felt like we were putting together someone else's wedding and not our own. 

I feel like the biggest person who's been pushing for this big wedding has been my maid of honor. I love her so much, but she's been really determined to make this wedding a certain way. She was in love with the idea of a huge blow out of a wedding but I can't figure out why she's causing so much stress with everything.

I took her, my mom and my two bridesmaids to go looking at dresses and she sort of took over the whole appointment, telling the stylist to have me try on certain dresses because they matched "my style" more than the ones I had selected and tried on myself. I didn't like them, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers so I tried them on anyway (I've since bought a completely different dress and I love it.) Then when it was time for us to look for the bridesmaid dresses, she was vocal about everything she tried on, stating that she didn't like each dress for one reason or another. 

It didn't help because the same day, one of my bridesmaids was also throwing a bad attitude because she didn't go dress shopping for her wedding and admitted to being jealous (she apologized later) so it felt like two against one the entire day. During dinner that evening, I told them I wanted to treat all of them to a spa day, manicures and get a makeup artist for the wedding so they could feel pampered and the two of them completely shot it down, basically saying why they hated those ideas... I didn't let them know how much that entire day bothered me, I laughed it off and thanked them for coming but that night I cried myself to sleep. 

So, after about a month of exploring "big wedding" options with little to no support from my bridesmaids, we decided to downsize the wedding and hold it at the small family church I attended as a child. We decided that instead of trying to get everyone to come to the wedding, my fiance and I would rather take a road trip to some of our favorite places, visiting our various loved ones along the way, with the smaller ceremony taking place as our final destination. The more we talked about it, the more we fell in love with the idea! We couldn't be more excited about the roadtrip idea and seeing our loved ones have a genuinely good time. We're inviting any of our close friends who'd like to join us during the travel dates and doing a "friends only" afterparty following the wedding. I couldn't be happier about that aspect of everything... but now more drama seems to have started.

My maid of honor has barely taken the time to listen to me about what our new plans are. Every time I've tried to sit down with her, she listens to me for maybe about five minutes before she shoots down an idea to suggest something different. Or, she'll literally begin a different conversation about something that has to do with her life or an event she's planning. I managed to run the roadtrip and smaller wedding idea by her and her husband and he seriously loved the idea, but she's been kind of rude about the whole thing. I think part of it is her feeling left out and this weekend she was badmouthing me to one of my bridesmaids (and who knows who else), saying she's so stressed out about the whole thing. 

I sat down with her yesterday to walk through everything that's been planned and all that still needs to be done and to let her voice her obvious concerns, but I still don't feel like we got anywhere. So far, I've had to do everything by myself and she hasn't been cooperative about even the smallest tasks I've asked of her.

Now I'm getting stressed out again. I feel completely alone in the wedding planning since my fiance's so far away and she's now being so unsupportive. I just want to have fun and include all the people I love but I seriously don't even want to plan the wedding details anymore. I don't know what to do, should I say something to her or would that even do anything? Should I just keep going it alone? 

Re: Should I Say Something to my Maid of Honor?

• I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if those of post belongs here but I need to vent it somewhere and would appreciate some advice from an outside source. I've got to know, is it normal to hate nearly everything about my wedding? 

My fiance is overseas and I will be joining him in about a month. We'll be getting married (in one of those quickie civil services over there) in August, then having our wedding celebration back in the U.S. with our family and friends in October. Initially we planned for a very big party with over 200 guests as sort of like a "last hoorah" since it might be the last time we're all together under the same roof for a while. But the more we planned it, the more it just didn't feel like us. We're both generally low key people who like to have a good time and neither of us are really into being the center of attention. The more that was planned, the more it just felt like we were putting together someone else's wedding and not our own. 

I feel like the biggest person who's been pushing for this big wedding has been my maid of honor. I love her so much, but she's been really determined to make this wedding a certain way. She was in love with the idea of a huge blow out of a wedding but I can't figure out why she's causing so much stress with everything.

I took her, my mom and my two bridesmaids to go looking at dresses and she sort of took over the whole appointment, telling the stylist to have me try on certain dresses because they matched "my style" more than the ones I had selected and tried on myself. I didn't like them, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers so I tried them on anyway (I've since bought a completely different dress and I love it.) Then when it was time for us to look for the bridesmaid dresses, she was vocal about everything she tried on, stating that she didn't like each dress for one reason or another. 

It didn't help because the same day, one of my bridesmaids was also throwing a bad attitude because she didn't go dress shopping for her wedding and admitted to being jealous (she apologized later) so it felt like two against one the entire day. During dinner that evening, I told them I wanted to treat all of them to a spa day, manicures and get a makeup artist for the wedding so they could feel pampered and the two of them completely shot it down, basically saying why they hated those ideas... I didn't let them know how much that entire day bothered me, I laughed it off and thanked them for coming but that night I cried myself to sleep. 

So, after about a month of exploring "big wedding" options with little to no support from my bridesmaids, we decided to downsize the wedding and hold it at the small family church I attended as a child. We decided that instead of trying to get everyone to come to the wedding, my fiance and I would rather take a road trip to some of our favorite places, visiting our various loved ones along the way, with the smaller ceremony taking place as our final destination. The more we talked about it, the more we fell in love with the idea! We couldn't be more excited about the roadtrip idea and seeing our loved ones have a genuinely good time. We're inviting any of our close friends who'd like to join us during the travel dates and doing a "friends only" afterparty following the wedding. I couldn't be happier about that aspect of everything... but now more drama seems to have started.

My maid of honor has barely taken the time to listen to me about what our new plans are. Every time I've tried to sit down with her, she listens to me for maybe about five minutes before she shoots down an idea to suggest something different. Or, she'll literally begin a different conversation about something that has to do with her life or an event she's planning. I managed to run the roadtrip and smaller wedding idea by her and her husband and he seriously loved the idea, but she's been kind of rude about the whole thing. I think part of it is her feeling left out and this weekend she was badmouthing me to one of my bridesmaids (and who knows who else), saying she's so stressed out about the whole thing. 

I sat down with her yesterday to walk through everything that's been planned and all that still needs to be done and to let her voice her obvious concerns, but I still don't feel like we got anywhere. So far, I've had to do everything by myself and she hasn't been cooperative about even the smallest tasks I've asked of her.

Now I'm getting stressed out again. I feel completely alone in the wedding planning since my fiance's so far away and she's now being so unsupportive. I just want to have fun and include all the people I love but I seriously don't even want to plan the wedding details anymore. I don't know what to do. 

There's a lot going on here in your post, so I'll just address the first thing that jumped out at me. If you don't want the big 200 person wedding and "hate" some of the other wedding plans then why can't the August "quickie" ceremony suffice? It is an actual, legal ceremony, correct? And if it is, then that day in August is your wedding. So all of this other planning is unnecessary.

• edited May 2015
    julie_shannon Sorry, I know I'm sort of all over the place. 

You make a really great point. I have been feeling that same way for months now, but so many of our friends and family members want to be a part of it (for example, my dad still wants to walk me down the aisle, traveling that far to be there for the civil ceremony is way too expensive for a lot of our guests and there are some friends who will be coming in for the wedding who haven't gotten a chance to meet my fiance yet) and we don't want to leave anybody out.
  • I'm new to this site so I'm not sure if those of post belongs here but I need to vent it somewhere and would appreciate some advice from an outside source. I've got to know, is it normal to hate nearly everything about my wedding? 

Now I'm getting stressed out again. I feel completely alone in the wedding planning since my fiance's so far away and she's now being so unsupportive. I just want to have fun and include all the people I love but I seriously don't even want to plan the wedding details anymore. I don't know what to do. 

There's a lot going on here in your post, so I'll just address the first thing that jumped out at me. If you don't want the big 200 person wedding and "hate" some of the other wedding plans then why can't the August "quickie" ceremony suffice? It is an actual, legal ceremony, correct? And if it is, then that day in August is your wedding. So all of this other planning is unnecessary.

OP- there is a LOT going on in your post that makes me want to jump all over it (PPD, MOH "duties", etc.) but honestly- if you hate the idea of a big wedding, and you hate the planning aspect of it, why don't you just get married overseas in August (hint- that IS your wedding) and then come home at a later point, and just throw an awesome celebration-of-marriage party?

It won't be a wedding- no dress, no ceremony, no registry, etc.- but it can be a kick-ass party- complete with all your friends and family, good food, a bar (if you want it), and dancing :)  And I think you would be much more relaxed...  

Just my .02
  • "I sat down with her yesterday to walk through everything that's been planned and all that still needs to be done and to let her voice her obvious concerns, but I still don't feel like we got anywhere. So far, I've had to do everything by myself and she hasn't been cooperative about even the smallest tasks I've asked of her."

First of all, she's your moh, not your wedding planner or assistant.  Her only responsibility is to show up at the ceremony in an appropriate outfit.  (I'm not even clear from your post if she'll even be at the ceremony since it will be abroad)  

I would suggest you stop talking about the wedding with her and just be a friend.  
  • The other PP's have made a ton of good points that I agree with 100%.  Just wanted to add that from what I read, it looks like you're trying to make her agree with you, and getting frustrated/hurt feelings when she doesn't.  She probably doesn't agree, and that's okay.  Not everyone likes the same things.  But then stop discussing the wedding with her.  It really feels like you're trying so hard to win her approval, but you really don't need it.  So talk about something else, and enjoy your friendship.

If you "hate" almost everything about your wedding, then for goodness sake, change it.  Have the small ceremony, have the road trip, have a celebration of marriage or not (not a wedding reenactment, but what @soontobesyp described), just enjoy yourselves.  A wedding is a happy occasion, not something you should have to force yourself through.
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It seems like your friend is actually being a good moh friend. Is she telling you that youre making this far more confusing than it needs to be? She probabaly notices you get upset when you two disagree so that is probably why she changes the subject.

You get one day.

If you're upfront about it you can have a celebration of marriage but it sounds like the road trip is asking a lot of your family and friends. 

• edited May 2015
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate each of you taking time to respond. I agree with a lot of what you all have said and it really means a lot to me to hear a different perspective than those who are close to the situation.

After taking a minute to cool down, realize my post was a little hard to follow. I don't know that I explained myself very well above so here is the summary:

-We are having a U.S. wedding in the fall because most of our family and friends can't come to the one overseas. 
    -My MOH has been trying to play wedding planner since day one, often coming up with ideas and making plans without even talking to me or my fiance about it first. 
    -She is my best friend but I never asked her to be my wedding planner, I asked her to be my maid of honor. I'm not asking her to do anything for me, just be there. But she keeps trying to take this whole thing over and I don't know what to do about it. 
    -We have downsized everything about the wedding to make it more fun, casual and relaxed for everyone involved.
    -Everyone else is on board, but my MOH is still in "wedding planner" mode and just won't let up. I am trying my best to keep up with her suggestions, but we can't do all of them and she has now been badmouthing me and any ideas that are mine or my fiance's. 
    -I have tried to plan nice things for my bridal party (like gifting them a spa day or taking them out for manicures), but when I run the ideas by them, every single one gets shot down by my MOH.
    -Her attitude about everything is really stressing me out. I just feel like no matter what I do, if it's not her idea, she's not happy.

I understand how my initial post makes it sound like I'm asking her to do all this stuff for me, but I assure you, I haven't asked her to do anything but keep an eye out for certain supplies and be my maid of honor. The planning stuff doesn't fall on her shoulders at all, but because I know she loves party planning, I am trying to include her in ideas and suggestions. My fiance and I are working really hard to make sure the wedding is about our loved ones and not so much about ourselves. That includes trying to do nice things for our closest friends/bridal party but I feel like with the way she has been acting, there's not much I can do to make it any fun for her. I guess the point of my post was:

1. Should I say something to my MOH to help her relax? (if so, what? I've tried all I know to do)
    2. Should I even bother worrying about this or just keep doing what I'm doing and trust it will all smooth over?
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I really appreciate each of you taking time to respond. I agree with a lot of what you all have said and it really means a lot to me to hear a different perspective than those who are close to the situation.

After taking a minute to cool down, realize my post was a little hard to follow. I don't know that I explained myself very well above so here is the summary:

-We are having a U.S. wedding in the fall because most of our family and friends can't come to the one overseas. 
    -My MOH has been trying to play wedding planner since day one, often coming up with ideas and making plans without even talking to me or my fiance about it first. 
    -She is my best friend but I never asked her to be my wedding planner, I asked her to be my maid of honor. I'm not asking her to do anything for me, just be there. But she keeps trying to take this whole thing over and I don't know what to do about it. 
    -We have downsized everything about the wedding to make it more fun, casual and relaxed for everyone involved.
    -Everyone else is on board, but my MOH is still in "wedding planner" mode and just won't let up. I am trying my best to keep up with her suggestions, but we can't do all of them and she has now been badmouthing me and any ideas that are mine or my fiance's. 
    -I have tried to plan nice things for my bridal party (like gifting them a spa day or taking them out for manicures), but when I run the ideas by them, every single one gets shot down by my MOH.
    -Her attitude about everything is really stressing me out. I just feel like no matter what I do I can't seem to make her happy. 

I understand how my initial post makes it sound like I'm asking her to do all this stuff for me, but I assure you, I haven't asked her to do anything but keep an eye out for certain supplies and be my maid of honor. The planning stuff doesn't fall on her shoulders at all, but because I know she loves party planning, I am trying to include her in ideas and suggestions. My fiance and I are working really hard to make sure the wedding is about our loved ones and not so much about ourselves. That includes trying to do nice things for our closest friends/bridal party but I feel like with the way she has been acting, there's not much I can do to make it any fun for her. I guess the point of my post was:

1. Should I say something to my MOH to help her relax? (if so, what? I've tried all I know to do)
    2. Should I even bother worrying about this or just keep doing what I'm doing and trust it will all smooth over?
    Will you be legally married before your "wedding"? If so, then it' not a wedding and you shouldn't be planning it, let alone worrying this much about it. You get one wedding. Anything more than that is fake and I don't understand adults playing dress-up and throwing these fake, expensive "weddings".
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Well here is good news: you wont hate everything about your wedding, because your wedding is at the courthouse. Everything else is just a party so you don't need a maid of honour, bridal party, bridal gown because you are not a bride- you are a wife. Throw a great party but it is strange, uncomfortable and downright self centred to parade around like a bride when you are already married. So just tell your "bridal party" that you are actually getting married overseas, and this celebration is just a party so there is no need for bridesmaids. Have them come as guests. Problem solved!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards