Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Help Needed!

Hey girls,

So I just did a hair trial and it seemed good at first but kind of fell apart after a couple hours.  I have shoulder length, really thick, normally fairly straight hair (minimal waving, if allowed to air dry, almost completely straight if blow dry).  My hair stylist recommended that I get some soft curls put in my hair (because I wanted to wear it down, no updo).  I agreed that would look nice.  She spent roughly 2 hours curling my hair and pinning it up.  When she first took it out of the pins, it looked REALLY good.  But the curls fell out over the course of the next 2 hours.  After an hour, it was gentle waves.  After 2 hours, it was like GONE.  Obviously, that's not going to work on my wedding day.  She said if I left my hair pinned for longer than the curls would last longer but I'm kind of nervous about it.

Has anyone with thick hair tried to curl their hair?  Did any of the ringlets stay in tact?  I was thinking about doing another trial and leaving it in the pins longer to see if they really do stay?  Is there a good hair spray that you would recommend that would help them stay?

Also, if that doesn't work, maybe just straighten it and blow it out?  That seems so dull but I really want to wear it down.  Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Help Needed!

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The longer curls get to "set" the longer they will stay, whether that would be the entire time of your wedding or not I don't know. I have very thick hair, but it is naturally curly so it holds curl well enough for me on a daily basis, but I swear by the Tres Two hairspray by tresemme. It comes in different strengths and the highest one definitely gets a bit crunchy. 
    Really though, I'm not sure how much of a difference hairspray and longer setting time will make. Maybe try a half up do or something similar so if the curls fall it still looks nice? I'd talk to your hairstylest to see what she would suggest if the curls don't hold a second time. 
  • Alyson1728Alyson1728 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2015
    I learned this tip in high school and it has worked pretty well for me over the years. Wash your hair the night before and before you dry add some styling mousse. I know stylists say unwashed hair is best and that may be true but for me personally this trick has worked pretty well. Maybe do another trial either with your stylist or on your own just to see if it helps. Good luck!
  • Did your stylist use a heat setting spray? This is key when working with curls. I know Schwartzkopf has a really good setting spray, if your stylist can use something like this with a humidity resistant hair spray, you are golden.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards