Wedding Reception Forum

Re: .

• A wedding celebration. 

Or. 

A picnic. 

"Come and join in a wedding celebration for X and Y at this park." 

• What you are having is a marriage celebration.  Call it that.  Don't try to be cute and creative because most times the names you will come up with will either be cheesy or confuse people as to what exactly they are attending.

• scribe95 said:
    Also, please don't have wedding trappings at this. You had your wedding and dinner/reception already. This is just a party.

Out of curiosity for others - is this really just a delayed/tiered wedding so she didn't have to feed everyone dinner. If this was the same night we would say no way. So she just waits two weeks and it's fine?
    The reason this is different from tiered is that it falls in the intimate ceremony/large reception rule. Since she's feeding them a meal at the picnic, it's technically acceptable. (I'm assuming that her intimate ceremony is truly intimate.) 

There are still going to be plenty of people who are hurt to be excluded from the actual wedding or who will view the picnic as a consolation prize for people who weren't good enough for the actual wedding. 

OP, using terms like picnic or BBQ and excluding any mention of your wedding is the best bet. The less you reference the wedding, the less likely you are to hurt feelings. 
  • I would say something like "please join us to celebrate our recent marriage".   Call it a wedding celebration.

I would not have first dances and such, but cake cutting is good.  Most people like cake.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Hi Everyone!

My fiance and I are having a nontraditional wedding next year. We're planning an intimate ceremony and then a quiet dinner afterwards. Then 2 weeks later, we're going to have a party/picnic to celebrate our marriage. I'm trying to figure out what we should call the party/reception/picnic. Any ideas would be wonderful!!!  I'm not a super creative person so I'm at a loss for words on the best name for our picnic. 
    Will your "intimate ceremony" just be the two of you, with no guests other than what is legally required?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I wouldn't use the word "reception" but it's fine to call it a party, a picnic, or a celebration.

As PPs have said, don't try to be "creative" about what you call it because it comes off as either confusing or cutesy, neither of which would result in anything good for you.  Also, to further echo PPs, because this won't be a wedding reception due to it not following your wedding ceremony, I'd refrain from "wedding" type aspects, such as wearing your dress, attendants, registries, and spotlight dances.  I personally would also refrain from a cake-cutting, although you can certainly serve cake!

• scribe95 said:
    Also, please don't have wedding trappings at this. You had your wedding and dinner/reception already. This is just a party.

Out of curiosity for others - is this really just a delayed/tiered wedding so she didn't have to feed everyone dinner. If this was the same night we would say no way. So she just waits two weeks and it's fine?
    Oh I think having an "intimate" wedding and then a big party two weeks later is dumb as hell.  Why not just have it all at once and be done with it?  But I am picking and choosing my battles now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards