Wedding Woes

stress. just stress {mainly venting fyi}

Re: stress. just stress {mainly venting fyi}

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    People use the excuse of "its a cultural norm" to do rude things like dollar dances all the time around here. Doesn't mean it isn't rude or that people don't talk to one another about that rudeness. 
  • scribe95 said:
    Look, it's not a cultural norm. Hence half the people on here not knowing what it is. And it's just icky to invite people to an event with the goal of making money off them. Ugh.

And obviously you can't afford the wedding if you are hoping this will bail you out. I mean as adults you are supposed to have a savings account to cover things just like a fender bender but you clearly don't.
    When the fender bender will cost $1200 and your current savings is for wedding, any extra is helpful.

Side note to all:
    For the record, we've actually told people we don't need other items for bridal shower or wedding. We've been living together for 4yrs, we don't need extra.
    Not like I need to justify it, but this is how WE are doing OUR wedding.
    Well, that sounds a little presumptuous. 

I'm struggling with the logic that you need this stag and doe event to save the wedding, but you do not "need" wedding gifts. 
  • Heffalump said:
    scribe95 said:
    Look, it's not a cultural norm. Hence half the people on here not knowing what it is. And it's just icky to invite people to an event with the goal of making money off them. Ugh.

And obviously you can't afford the wedding if you are hoping this will bail you out. I mean as adults you are supposed to have a savings account to cover things just like a fender bender but you clearly don't.
    When the fender bender will cost $1200 and your current savings is for wedding, any extra is helpful.

Side note to all:
    For the record, we've actually told people we don't need other items for bridal shower or wedding. We've been living together for 4yrs, we don't need extra.

I'm struggling with the logic that you need this stag and doe event to save the wedding, but you do not "need" wedding gifts. 
    Like I also mentioned a few times, we aren't hosting it. Our wedding party is actually throwing it for us. I wouldn't have had a stag & doe for the sheer fact I have other things to do.

aaannnndddd it looks like it'll probably go to insurance.

And I am notorious for over reacting, we have a little amount to actually do that it's super overwhelming. Like i stated in the title, stress and venting.
  • redoryx said:
    Unless you and your FI have registered as a 501c3, pretty sure you shouldn't compare your stag & doe party to a guest donating to a charity. 
    QFT
  • redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Heffalump said:
    scribe95 said:

Side note to all:

Like I also mentioned a few times, we aren't hosting it. Our wedding party is actually throwing it for us. I wouldn't have had a stag & doe for the sheer fact I have other things to do.

And I am notorious for over reacting, we have a little amount to actually do that it's super overwhelming. Like i stated in the title, stress and venting.
    you know you could have said "Hey, we don't actually need a stag & doe and have lots going on right now, but thanks for offering!" 

But you didn't, so perhaps you should stop throwing your wedding party under the bus like this is all on them and not you and your FI. You know, the two people actually benefiting from this event.
  • Heffalump said:
    scribe95 said:

Side note to all:

Oh well in that case, go right on ahead. By all means.

• Living together for four years, FI is under 25... 

How old are you and your FI? And what province do you live in? 
  • zitiqueen said:
    Living together for four years, FI is under 25... 

he's 25 in July. and Ontario.
    redoryx said:
    Heffalump said:
    scribe95 said:

Side note to all:

you know you could have said "Hey, we don't actually need a stag & doe and have lots going on right now, but thanks for offering!" 

But you didn't, so perhaps you should stop throwing your wedding party under the bus like this is all on them and not you and your FI. You know, the two people actually benefiting from this event.
    actually i did multiple times.
  • I hate it when the copies start being multiple boards long. It's irritating.  
  • hmonkey said:
    zitiqueen said:

here in america, we call that being a 24-year-old.
    And she did not say how old she was...
  • hmonkey said:
    zitiqueen said:

here in america, we call that being a 24-year-old.
    And she did not say how old she was...
    fine. he's 24. i'm 27. I figured people would creep my profile tbh .... 
  • Nordstrom is having its half-yearly. Too late to host a stag and doe? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Look ladies, doesn't really matter to me how everyone feels about Stag & Doe. Everyone has different opinions and I have asked multiple people I know after hearing some of yours. No one has ever heard of a couple not throwing a stag.

I don't know what to tell you otherwise.

Some of the comments are just getting rude ... I came here thinking it was safe to vent about my troubles and have someone maybe understand why I am stressed the fuck out! Weddings are stressful and financially I am vastly stressed because I want to make sure we can afford everything.

I'm not expecting anyone to be sorry for what they said, but I just feel like I got ganged up on and attacked. Not okay. Future reference.
  • Look ladies, doesn't really matter to me how everyone feels about Stag & Doe. Everyone has different opinions and I have asked multiple people I know after hearing some of yours. No one has ever heard of a couple not throwing a stag.

Some of the comments are just getting rude ... I came here thinking it was safe to vent about my troubles and have someone maybe understand why I am stressed the fuck out! Weddings are stressful and financially I am vastly stressed because I want to make sure we can afford everything.

I'm not expecting anyone to be sorry for what they said, but I just feel like I got ganged up on and attacked. Not okay. Future reference.
    Please quote where you were attacked.

Everyone shoving their opinions at me, basically stating what I'm doing is wrong ... etc etc. Doesn't matter if it was intended to be attacking, that is how I felt.

Everyone shoving their opinions at me, basically stating what I'm doing is wrong ... etc etc. Doesn't matter if it was intended to be attacking, that is how I felt.
    This is an internet forum. People are free to post where they wish. Also, people here are going to tell you if you have a bad idea. Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of people tell you that you have a bad idea, then you to go through with it and have your nearest and dearest snark behind your back?

Did your mom ever tell you that you can't control what people say or do, just how you respond to it? Yeah use that. 

If you wanted people to pat you on the head and say "there there, don't worry - you're hitting up your friends to pay for your shit", you came to the wrong place. A wedding is a happy occasion, if you're this stressed about one fender bender, how will you handle bigger shit? Have another fundraiser for yourself?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

This is an internet forum. People are free to post where they wish. Also, people here are going to tell you if you have a bad idea. Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of people tell you that you have a bad idea, then you to go through with it and have your nearest and dearest snark behind your back?
    Yeh I get that, but it just seems a little excessive. And, as I mentioned, no one has said anything about it. I've asked. Everyone is so into it and throwing out ideas to help and all that.

Yeh I get that, but it just seems a little excessive. And, as I mentioned, no one has said anything about it. I've asked. Everyone is so into it and throwing out ideas to help and all that.
    And there is absolutely no way you could say "hey, people can just come! no need to charge admission! I just want to see them have a good time!" Okay, right.

Did your mom ever tell you that you can't control what people say or do, just how you respond to it? Yeah use that. 

If you wanted people to pat you on the head and say "there there, don't worry - you're hitting up your friends to pay for your shit", you came to the wrong place. A wedding is a happy occasion, if you're this stressed about one fender bender, how will you handle bigger shit? Have another fundraiser for yourself?
    I don't. I am having a hard enough time with personal stuff regarding the wedding, that it just feels like one more thing to throw me through a loop.

And there is absolutely no way you could say "hey, people can just come! no need to charge admission! I just want to see them have a good time!" Okay, right.
    that's actually the place we're holding it wanting us to charge - they wanted higher but convinced them lower. It's at a bar.

that's actually the place we're holding it wanting us to charge - they wanted higher but convinced them lower. It's at a bar.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Aren't you and your FI getting the money from this event? Why would the location care if you charge or not?

• This is an internet forum. People are free to post where they wish. Also, people here are going to tell you if you have a bad idea. Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of people tell you that you have a bad idea, then you to go through with it and have your nearest and dearest snark behind your back?
    That makes no sense whatsoever. Aren't you and your FI getting the money from this event? Why would the location care if you charge or not?
    Not as much as apparently some people think. We're just getting money from the games and raffles. And the location is stupid. that's just their policy. It's lowest amount we could get anywhere, cuz most places expect to charge $10+ and renting a hall would be too expensive.

• This is an internet forum. People are free to post where they wish. Also, people here are going to tell you if you have a bad idea. Wouldn't you rather have a bunch of people tell you that you have a bad idea, then you to go through with it and have your nearest and dearest snark behind your back?
    Not as much as apparently some people think. We're just getting money from the games and raffles. And the location is stupid. that's just their policy. It's lowest amount we could get anywhere, cuz most places expect to charge $10+ and renting a hall would be too expensive.
    Well people shouldn't be throwing parties they cannot afford. Is it an open bar? Or are people being charged for that too?
  • aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015
    Look ladies, doesn't really matter to me how everyone feels about Stag & Doe. Everyone has different opinions and I have asked multiple people I know after hearing some of yours. No one has ever heard of a couple not throwing a stag.

So..telling you that what you are doing is rude/wrong is attacking you? So last time you got a speeding ticket you were attacked? When you were a kid and your teacher told you to stop talking in class you were attacked?

Sorry but that is just nuts. Saying stuff like that comes off as very stuck up. And stop saying you have asked people bc it really does not matter. They are either A. not telling you the truth or B. just so used to being taken advantage of they do not know better.

Here is a challenge. Be the first one of your group to turn this down. If the party is on then give the hosts however much money they would have collected and not charge anyone. Think of how amazingly nice that would be and how  many people would learn from that.

Well people shouldn't be throwing parties they cannot afford. Is it an open bar? Or are people being charged for that too?
    not sure. I'm not hosting it, so I didn't ask. It's not a big place so their concern is losing business {hello .... it's in June .... they won't guh}
  • aliwis000 said:
    Look ladies, doesn't really matter to me how everyone feels about Stag & Doe. Everyone has different opinions and I have asked multiple people I know after hearing some of yours. No one has ever heard of a couple not throwing a stag.

So..telling you that what you are doing is rude/wrong is attacking you? So last time you got a speeding ticket you were attacked? When you were a kid and your teacher told you to stop talking in class you were attacked?

Sorry but that is just nuts. Saying stuff like that comes off as very stuck up. And stop saying you have asked people bc it really does not matter. They are either A. not telling you the truth or B. just so used to being taken advantage of they do not know better.

Here is a challenge. Be the first one of your group to turn this down. If the party is on then give the hosts however much money they would have collected and not charge anyone. Think of how amazingly nice that would be and how  many people would learn from that.
    Personally, I feel like her unhappy responses are attacking me.  I just wanted her to support my critique, not disagree with me.   
  • aliwis000 said:

to bolded: they would tell me the truth and majority of people I didn't ask were the ones asking before about stags .... it's not rude. I would never force people to come, nor would I expect them to dish out money they don't have. No one knows anyone's situation, and actually many family members have offered to give us things for the raffles to help out.

So I really think this is all an opinion thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards