Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Guests Inviting Unwanted Guests

My fiance's aunt (his late mother's sister) is - to put it mildly - without class of any kind. She wouldn't know proper etiquette if it slapped her in the face.

Along those lines, she has a ridiculous and straight-up HORRIBLE habit of bringing obscure or unknown tag-along guests who are just as classless and clueless to any event she's been invited to or involved with.

Our wedding has been no different, much to my distress. She started by texting me to ask me if her friend Lisa could come to our wedding, since "she's been part of our family for twenty years." Before I could even send a response, she sent her friend's address. Her friend is in no way related to this family, and I'm frankly offended she would even use those words to describe this woman.

I was so taken aback by her brashness and audacity at taking it upon herself to invite people not expressly invited by us, the bride and groom that I couldn't trust myself to answer her nicely because, well, MANNERS. TBH I don't feel that a request like that should ever be made, and especially not to the bride.

Here's where it gets even worse. I feel really, really bad, but we had forgotten to send an invite to a cousin of my fiance who has been out-of-touch with them for around a decade due to being incarcerated in another state.

His aunt let me know, and I said of course he was invited. She responds by saying that she would just include him on her response card along with herself and her husband, bringing the count to four.

I had asked her several times over the last month who the fourth person she was responding for was, without an answer. Well, just today she texted me a long thing about another guest and his wife, and buried in that text the name of the fourth person: Lisa. This woman is trying to manipulate me into letting her rachet friend tag along to one of the most important events of our lives.

Oh. Hell. No.

I'm already stressed out - my grandmother passed away suddenly two months ago from a stroke and I was just informed three weeks ago that my company is closing and so I'll be out of a job shortly. 

IMHO what she's doing is the epitome of rudeness, and I refuse to answer her. I'm sick of her shit, she pulls this at every single event from toddler birthday parties to her own sister's funeral. Why would she think this is okay to do at an event where every guest has a (large) price tag? 

ARRRRRRGH.

Re: Guests Inviting Unwanted Guests

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    My fiance's aunt (his late mother's sister) is - to put it mildly - without class of any kind. She wouldn't know proper etiquette if it slapped her in the face.

Along those lines, she has a ridiculous and straight-up HORRIBLE habit of bringing obscure or unknown tag-along guests who are just as classless and clueless to any event she's been invited to or involved with.

Our wedding has been no different, much to my distress. She started by texting me to ask me if her friend Lisa could come to our wedding, since "she's been part of our family for twenty years." Before I could even send a response, she sent her friend's address. Her friend is in no way related to this family, and I'm frankly offended she would even use those words to describe this woman.

I was so taken aback by her brashness and audacity at taking it upon herself to invite people not expressly invited by us, the bride and groom that I couldn't trust myself to answer her nicely because, well, MANNERS. TBH I don't feel that a request like that should ever be made, and especially not to the bride.

Here's where it gets even worse. I feel really, really bad, but we had forgotten to send an invite to a cousin of my fiance who has been out-of-touch with them for around a decade due to being incarcerated in another state.

His aunt let me know, and I said of course he was invited. She responds by saying that she would just include him on her response card along with herself and her husband, bringing the count to four.

I had asked her several times over the last month who the fourth person she was responding for was, without an answer. Well, just today she texted me a long thing about another guest and his wife, and buried in that text the name of the fourth person: Lisa. This woman is trying to manipulate me into letting her rachet friend tag along to one of the most important events of our lives.

Oh. Hell. No.

I'm already stressed out - my grandmother passed away suddenly two months ago from a stroke and I was just informed three weeks ago that my company is closing and so I'll be out of a job shortly. 

IMHO what she's doing is the epitome of rudeness, and I refuse to answer her. I'm sick of her shit, she pulls this at every single event from toddler birthday parties to her own sister's funeral. Why would she think this is okay to do at an event where every guest has a (large) price tag? 

ARRRRRRGH.
    i'm confused -- did you or did you not tell her that Lisa isn't invited? 
  • Options
    I haven't. I can't even bring myself to respond to her.

If we wanted her there we would have invited her ourselves.
  • Options
    She sent you a text, right? Right now, answer by text, 'I'm sorry but Lisa is not invited.' Don't offer an explanation because she will see that as an opening to aruge with you. Since this is your fi''s aunt, he should follow through with a verbal answer that the only people invited are Aunt, Husband and Son. End of discussion. Period.

• Options
    tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I have a couple of single friends that I have been worried they are going to think they get a date. But FI and I have both talked to them and told them if they are no in a date relationship we are not going to be able to have them bring anyone. They all understand...fingers crossed. 

Thank goodness I dont have any crazy family issues...I was planning on the "second cousins' but my aunt said no....you dont and will not invite them

Good Luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    "Lisa is not invited and there will be no food, no drinks, and no seat for her if you bring her."
  • Options
    Yeah, you need to do this now.  The longer you ignore her, it's just sending the message that bringing her is ok.  You don't need to get into a long discussion with her.  Just a simple, "Unfortunately, Lisa is not invited.  We won't be able to accommodate her.  Looking forward to seeing you/uncle/cousin at the wedding."  If she escalates it, get FI involved, but continue to be matter-of-fact and stand your ground.  It sounds like she's used to bullying people into this kind of thing.

• Options
    Ignoring her and thinking Lisa won't show is just crazy.  You SHOULD have responded when this came about in the first place.  Contact crazy lade today, and fix this situation.
  • Options
    "There seems to be a miscommunication. Your invite was for you, your husband and the cousin. Lisa was not to be included. My apologies. Hope to see you, your husband and cousin at the wedding."

Agreed with the PPs. Not saying anything is telling her it's okay. And your FI should be handling this as well, not you. It's his aunt. 

• Options

**************Boxes are f-ed up*****************
    PPs have things covered, but the highlighted is super-duper judgmental. Blood does not determine family. Our next door neighbors are way more family than some blood relatives are would be way higher on the invite list than some of my aunts and uncles.
  • Options
    I can't understand why your FI didn't step in and handle his aunt long ago.

Either way, the longer you avoid responding to her, the longer you encourage it. If you don't say something soon, you lost the right to object to Lisa coming. Respond to her now, and deflect any further inquiry to your FI. 
  • Options
    Why are you handling this?  Your FI should be telling his aunt that her friend is not invited. 

My MIL tried inviting more people and she only emailed me. I had my now husband deal with it. 

• Options
    Definitely don't ignore. She needs to be told NO.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards