Destination Weddings Discussions

Small Maui Wedding Ceremony?

Hi everyone! I plan on getting married in Maui, Hawaii in June 2016. I had initially wanted to elope with just the groom and I but family changed our mind. We would like to go there and just have a very small beach ceremony and invite anyone who wants to go. It would probably be the parents and a few family members and close friends. I want this to be as stress free as possible for the groom and I (that's why I wanted to elope). Any ideas on some low cost suggestions? Ceremony then dinner or luau with the fam? A good photographer?  :)

Re: Small Maui Wedding Ceremony?

• Maui Creative Photography did our pictures for our recent Maui wedding.  They were great!  They were so great to work with and I just got our pictures this week and they are gorgeous.  I highly recommend them.
    Pia Aluli married us and we loved him.  He was so lovely.  He had a great personality; and as soon as we met him, we know we made the right choice.
    Our wedding (ceremony and reception) was at Olowalu Plantation and we had about 30 people, so those are probably the only two people I can recommend.  But I can't speak highly enough for Pia or Maui Creative Photography.
    I believe that you still need a permit to have the wedding on the beach.  Whoever your officiant is can probably answer any questions about this though.
    Good luck!
  • Following, I'm planning a Maui wedding late summer 2016 and not sure where to start !
  • Planning a July 2016 Maui wedding here! So far google has been helpful, there are lots of affordable options for ceremony ideas/vendors. Try Maui beach wedding in google, lots of places with simple packages come up and most of them have yelp reviews.

My main issue at this point is the dinner thing as well!
  • Hello,

I too am planning a destination Maui wedding with a very small family group and trying to keep it as casual as possible.

Here is what I have learned in my research so far.

There are at least 50 competing wedding planning companies that will put together an intimate beach ceremony for you with different add on and packages. Many include the officiant, the licensing, the ceremony lei, and many have add on photography etc.

Having a post wedding Luau will only work if you set up the luau (site, dancer, entertainment, catering) or attend one of the 10 or so they have on Maui. However, if you have a sunset ceremony it will conflict with the start times of the local Luaus so you would need a morning ceremony or afternoon 9not recommended for good photographs).

I priced several waterfront restaurants and inquired about catering as well. Merrimans is lovely and you can have a private Cabana space for up to 20 people however you must spend a min of $2500 in food/drinks. There is no cost of the Cabana rental if you meet the minimums. If this is not an issue with the number of guests, this could be a great choice as the food and location are stunning.

If your party is under 9-10 The Lahaina Grill has superb food and has 2 different dinner times for the private round chefs table room. This would be a great post cermeony dinner place for foodies.

I am likely going with the Pacifico restaurant which is right on the boardwalk across from the beach. They have a lawn space you can rent out for $500 in the off-season (Sept-Feb) so you can have a private dinner table and cake table.

I found that you can technically eat anywhere after your ceremony but if you want a private table or separate table from the rest of diners, that is where you start to pay big.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards