Favors

Candy Buffet

Hi Knotties!

My Fi and I want to do a candy buffet but apothecary jars are so expensive and a lot of the ones I've found seem to be too small and I wanted to buy a bunch. Do you think plastic jars are tacky? I was planning to add chalkboard labels or some kind of cute label. Our wedding is the day before Halloween and I thought it'd be cute to have a candy buffet in our color scheme. 

Link (Scroll all the way to the bottom for containers)

Thanks!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Candy Buffet

• I think it would be fine.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • MizLiz3MizLiz3 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You may want to see if you can find them second-hand.  I've seen some posted in my local Facebook wedding items for sale group.  I don't know that as a guest I would care if the jars were plastic though.

As for having your candy all match your colors, that would not be important to me as a guest.  I just want to eat good candy and I don't care if it matches.  Especially close to Halloween, just have stuff you know people will like.  You'll probably be able to get it at a good price too.
  • MizLiz3 said:
    You may want to see if you can find them second-hand.  I've seen some posted in my local Facebook wedding items for sale group.  I don't know that as a guest I would care if the jars were plastic though.

As for having your candy all match your colors, that would not be important to me as a guest.  I just want to eat good candy and I don't care if it matches.  Especially close to Halloween, just have stuff you know people will like.  You'll probably be able to get it at a good price too.

Ditto this.  As a guest, I don't care what you put your candy in.  It's just not that important. 

However, I would much rather have good candy (and wrapped candy so I know people's dirty fingers aren't touching my candy) than candy in a color theme.  I will take Reese's peanut butter cups and buttermints over matching jelly beans and jordan almonds any day of the week. 
  • Ditto the color theme. Most color themed candy is really not very good. I might as well stick my head in a bag of refined sugar and wash it down with a shot of colored corn syrup.
    I'd rather have one good chocolate or a nice truffle than a shovelful of matching hard candy. 
  • Thanks all! I'm a candy snob and we're doing fall colors so I was planning on Reese's minis, Hershey's assorted minis, licorice, six lets, Swedish fish etc. I really appreciate your feedback!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    I would try dollar stores or thrift store to see what you can get before plastic.

I can't stand color coordinated candy bars.  Candies come in different colors, embrace the fun of that.

We had a  candy bar with candy not only we liked, but our guests. We had pez, candied necklaces, kisses, fish, mary janes and I can't even even remember.  It was a lot of different kinds spanning over generations.  We had such a variety people were beaming.  The look in my 80-something year old guest's eyes as she told me how a certain candy we picked brought her back to her childhood was priceless.     

We also have very little candy left.  Young and old alike took some home.

I get the appeal of a theme, I really do.  But IDK? Candy is so fun, I do not get limiting yourself to certain colors or a theme.  Candy is a theme on it's own.

We did have our take-home containers in our colors, but stopped at that.  Candy was picked on what we and what we thought our guests of different generations would like.  It was the favor. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I totally understand the sentiment that apothecary jars are too expensive. I used these jars for my candy buffet. I think plastic ones will work too. I agree that the colors don't matter as much as the taste, but it sounds like you should be able to find candy with wrappers in your colors that time of year. We just did a variety of our favorite candies and then put a sign next to it and said "Love is sweet! Enjoy a few of our favorite treats!" I hope you find what you are looking for. 
  • I think plastic jars are a great idea. You can find some really cute one online. And they don't cost very much.
  • I found very beautiful glass jars at Marshall's and TJ Maxx if you have either of those near you. Also Home Goods. They were $5-9 and had many styles. hth
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Plastic jars are just fine.

You can also check out the dollar store (for plastic or glass). 

I think my mom got our glass ones from the dollar store, as well as the scoops. We then had bags available for people to take candy with. 

• GOODWILL!  I always see them there when I go.  
  • As pp's said, check dollar stores. I've gotten glass jars for $1.50 there and they're great. Plastic are fine as well I'm sure. If you really don't find glass jars you like, you could always get stuff from dollar store and decorate them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards