Wedding Party
Options

Deleted

Re: Deleted

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

The only thing you can do is what you already did: point out to your FI that the time and money for a week-long vacation is not in your mutual schedule and budget. Then let it go. 

• Options
    I'm in need of some advice...

My fiance and I are the first of our friends to get married (we are both 24). Many of the individuals in our bridal party have never been groomsmen/bridesmaids before. 

I won't even get started on my bachelorette party planning but let's just say it has made me a little untrustworthy of people planning things/doing what they are supposed to do. So my fiance has been saying for months now how he wants his bachelor party to just be a weekend camping or something low key. He comes home one night a few weeks ago all excited because they had finally thought of a plan for the bachelor party..... A WEEK AT THE BEACH..... I was proficiently angry and told him that wasn't a bachelor party, that was a vacation that I wasn't invited to and that we didn't have money for right before a wedding. Last night I found out that all 4 out of the 7 groomsmen are planning a big trip to Las Vegas for the week that my fiance was hoping they would throw his bachelor party. 

Needless to say I was very angry and frustrated that they can all plan a big Las Vegas trip but they can't take the time to plan a simple and realistic bachelor party for one of their best friends! They are also grumbling/angry about the fact that they have to PAY TO RENT A HOTEL ROOM (shocking right?) and RENT A SUIT?? (I'm the worst right)? So they have no money, yet they are planning an expensive Vegas vacation??

I'm shaking as I'm typing this I am so frustrated. I know it's not something I am supposed to be worrying about, but it's affecting me, probably because I'm shell shocked from the lack of planning/support I've gotten from my own bridal party. 

Any advice?
    Advice? Calm the fuck down. No one is entitled to a bachelor/ette party and you're acting like a crazed loon. I didn't have a bachelorette party. MY sister, my MOH went out of town twice the summer I got married. You don't get to dictate how people spend their money, their vacations and what they do for you. At all. Ever.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm in need of some advice...

My fiance and I are the first of our friends to get married (we are both 24). Many of the individuals in our bridal party have never been groomsmen/bridesmaids before. 

I won't even get started on my bachelorette party planning but let's just say it has made me a little untrustworthy of people planning things/doing what they are supposed to do. So my fiance has been saying for months now how he wants his bachelor party to just be a weekend camping or something low key. He comes home one night a few weeks ago all excited because they had finally thought of a plan for the bachelor party..... A WEEK AT THE BEACH..... I was proficiently angry and told him that wasn't a bachelor party, that was a vacation that I wasn't invited to and that we didn't have money for right before a wedding. Last night I found out that all 4 out of the 7 groomsmen are planning a big trip to Las Vegas for the week that my fiance was hoping they would throw his bachelor party. 

Needless to say I was very angry and frustrated that they can all plan a big Las Vegas trip but they can't take the time to plan a simple and realistic bachelor party for one of their best friends! They are also grumbling/angry about the fact that they have to PAY TO RENT A HOTEL ROOM (shocking right?) and RENT A SUIT?? (I'm the worst right)? So they have no money, yet they are planning an expensive Vegas vacation??

I'm shaking as I'm typing this I am so frustrated. I know it's not something I am supposed to be worrying about, but it's affecting me, probably because I'm shell shocked from the lack of planning/support I've gotten from my own bridal party. 

Any advice?
    Bachelor and Bachelorette parties are not a requirement.  They are a gift that your friends voluntarily decide to give you.  If some of the guys would rather go to Las Vegas then plan/attend a bachelor party that is their choice.  And it is not a wrong or bad choice.  

As to the bolded.  Of course you weren't invited, because it is for his bachelor party.  He is allowed to go away with his friends on a vacation without you.  

Second bolded.  Did you ask them their budgets for these things?  Why do they have to rent a hotel room?  If it is local to them then no, they don't have to rent one.  And you cannot control how people spend their money.  I would much rather spend my money on a trip to Vegas then on a suit I will wear once.

Last boded.  What kind of planning/support were you expecting?  This is your wedding, not theirs.  You are planning a freaking party, not a funeral so what kind of support do you really need?  The only requirements that they have is to purchase the attire picked (within their budgets) and show up on time for your wedding.  That is it.  Anything else is like icing on the cake.

And neither of you should have much say at all in your bach parties.  A time frame and a broad idea of what you like/don't like to do is all you should be contributing.  Everything else is on whoever is choosing to plan the party.

• Options
    I'm deleting the original thread because of the profanity used by a commenter. 

For the record, I'm not a crazy loon. I'm dealing with a lot and should have known better than to seek advice from this type of forum. If I could delete the entire thing I would. 
  • Options
    PPs here have good advice regarding wedding party "obligations" and costs for things (no one has to get a hotel for your wedding). A bachelor party isn't a requirement and the groomsmen (or bridesmaids for your bachelorette party) aren't obligated to plan one. If your fiance's groomsmen want to go to Vegas before your wedding, then fun for them. Just a tip of advice from my own experience, do not jump into these plans that have essentially nothing to do with you. My fiance was a groomsman in a wedding last year where the bride went craaaazy trying to control the bachelor party. Sending group messages to the groomsmen making sure they knew to not get strippers, making sure they knew to pay for the groom's dinner, making sure they knew to not get him too drunk. It was pretty embarrassing for the groom and obviously it was all the talk leading up to their wedding (like "oh good luck buddy, you're going to need it"). I'd be mortified if I acted like that and embarrassed my fiance. Remember that he's getting married too. He might want a week-long vacation with his buddies; I would see no harm in that.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

For the record, I'm not a crazy loon. I'm dealing with a lot and should have known better than to seek advice from this type of forum. If I could delete the entire thing I would. 

JIC
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I am seriously questioning your age. You claim to be 24 but get offended by profanity?

• Options
    Granted my first post was very "ranty" and I would like to apologize for the tone, I think my character as very misrepresented. 

I wouldn't dream to text his friends or say anything to them about the bachelor party. I was simply venting which I now see if inappropriate for this type of forum. 

I will not address @shessocold's comments but sure I'll address @Maggie0829's comments & @peachy13's comments...

1) I wasn't expecting to be invited to the bachelor party, I didn't in a million years intend for it to come off that way. I was trying to insert some humor which was taken out of context. 

2) If the wedding was local I never would have asked them to book a hotel room, that's absurb. The wedding is taking place 3 hours away and I had to ask them to book hotel rooms earlier because my FMIL was on the verge of booking all of them. To your second point, I totally agree with the Vegas thing!! I would MUCH rather go to Vegas than buy a suit haha. I was simply trying to say that when they agreed to be in the wedding they knew that they would have to rent a suit/get a hotel room yada yada, yes expenses were discussed. That's why I'm just a little annoyed that they are telling me they don't have the money for things they originally said were fine but do have money for this big trip. I by no means want to (or ever should) tell ANYBODY how to spend their money. I  know it came off that way but I seriously didn't even mean that. 

As far as the last bolded goes, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I am very much aware that this is my wedding and not theirs. The support that I would hope for is the standard amount of support that any bride asks of her bridesmaids/groom of groomsmen. I'm not asking these people to bow down at my feet....

As far as your last comment, I agree with you again! I would love to be completely hands off. I gave my MOH a time frame and budget for the bachelorette, it's all coming together now, I just want the same for my hubby to be. 

@peachy13 - Thank you for that advice. I wouldn't go crazy like in your story, that's for sure. I told my fiance to go to Vegas with them, he was the one that said no. I appreciate your advice and funny GIF ;)
  • Options
    Haha definitely 24! I just thought this was more of a professional forum and was genuinely offended by the tone of the other commenter. 
  • Options
    redoryxredoryx member

How is deleting your original post going to do anything? You've already been quoted, we can all read it anyway.
  • Options
    I'm sure getting some sassy comments now! Like I said, I thought this was more of a professional forum! 

I'm getting the heck out of here as soon as possible... Keep questioning my age and swearing at me. I don't have time for this crap I have a wedding to plan. 
  • Options
    Obviously I didn't realize I couldn't delete the whole thing. 
  • Options
    Granted my first post was very "ranty" and I would like to apologize for the tone, I think my character as very misrepresented. 

I wouldn't dream to text his friends or say anything to them about the bachelor party. I was simply venting which I now see if inappropriate for this type of forum. 

I will not address @shessocold's comments but sure I'll address @Maggie0829's comments & @peachy13's comments...

1) I wasn't expecting to be invited to the bachelor party, I didn't in a million years intend for it to come off that way. I was trying to insert some humor which was taken out of context. 

2) If the wedding was local I never would have asked them to book a hotel room, that's absurb. The wedding is taking place 3 hours away and I had to ask them to book hotel rooms earlier because my FMIL was on the verge of booking all of them. To your second point, I totally agree with the Vegas thing!! I would MUCH rather go to Vegas than buy a suit haha. I was simply trying to say that when they agreed to be in the wedding they knew that they would have to rent a suit/get a hotel room yada yada, yes expenses were discussed. That's why I'm just a little annoyed that they are telling me they don't have the money for things they originally said were fine but do have money for this big trip. I by no means want to (or ever should) tell ANYBODY how to spend their money. I  know it came off that way but I seriously didn't even mean that. 

As far as the last bolded goes, I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I am very much aware that this is my wedding and not theirs. The support that I would hope for is the standard amount of support that any bride asks of her bridesmaids/groom of groomsmen. I'm not asking these people to bow down at my feet....

As far as your last comment, I agree with you again! I would love to be completely hands off. I gave my MOH a time frame and budget for the bachelorette, it's all coming together now, I just want the same for my hubby to be. 

@peachy13 - Thank you for that advice. I wouldn't go crazy like in your story, that's for sure. I told my fiance to go to Vegas with them, he was the one that said no. I appreciate your advice and funny GIF ;)
    Sure, maybe I was a little harsh. But it's true. You do need to calm down. Possibly calm the fuck down. You should never, have EVER given your BMs a timeframe for a gift to you, unless asked (or budget? How does that even come up?!). Like a PP said, people need support in difficult times, not a happy occasion like getting married. What, excatly do you want from your BMs?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I'm sure getting some sassy comments now! Like I said, I thought this was more of a professional forum! 

I'm getting the heck out of here as soon as possible... Keep questioning my age and swearing at me. I don't have time for this crap I have a wedding to plan. 

No one here is paid to be here, so I'm not sure why you would think that.

Go plan your wedding, sweetheart.

• Options
    @shesocold - You are right, I do need to calm down! I'm going to have a big glass of wine to chill out after being ridiculed like this today. Anyways, the BMs asked me for my time frame and budget so I gave it to them. 

I experienced some really hurtful comments from one bridesmaids regarding the party which is why I said the lack of support before. 

@flantastic - I will! Cheers to that. 
  • Options

Yes, and bridesmaids and groomsmen to bother and expect them to do shit for you. Good luck! 
  • Options

Darling, you sent up the FUCKING bat signal. Sassy comments are the least of your worries.

Calm down, step back and realise that your wedding is one day. You don't get to decide the terms of the Bachelor party. If he doesn't get a bachelor party or you don't get a bachelorette, your wedding will still be in play.
  • Options
    Okay...

1) These GM are adults right? Then why would your FMIL book their hotel rooms? I am sure they are capable of doing it themselves. Stop worrying about this. If they grumble about having to spend money on it, just ignore it. Same with their suits. Since you asked their budgets then you are fine. If they want to moan and groan that is on them. So if they start, turn on your mute button.

2) I am still unsure what kind of support you are wanting from your BMs. Yes it would suck and hurt if one of your friend made hurtful comments to you about your Bach party plans but it is something you just have to get over. Other then that it sounds like they are putting together a party for you so yay!

3) I know you want the same thing for your FI but sometimes that just doesn't happen. It sounds like he does have some friends who want to plan a fun getaway for him and some that don't want to be involved. That is fine. If a week is not in your budget maybe talk to him about doing a long weekend instead. But not everyone in his wedding party needs to be in attendance. I am sure he will have just as good a time with those that can make it.

I do recommend that glass of wine. Sometimes things seem like more of an issue then they really are. So take a deep breath and try not to worry about any of this.

And I am guessing you are a newer poster? Well I may suggest lurking a bit to get the feel for how others typically respond. These boards tend to be very blunt. We don't really sugar coat things and we will tell you the hard truth. We aren't attacking or trying to offend you. Sometimes you need to be told "hey, chill out, you are acting crazy!" Remember we have all been there or are in the process of going through it. We have all had our crazy moments and a verbal slap upside the head is needed. So take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of wine and focus on getting married to your FI.

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    Okay... 1) These GM are adults right? Then why would your FMIL book their hotel rooms? I am sure they are capable of doing it themselves. Stop worrying about this. If they grumble about having to spend money on it, just ignore it. Same with their suits. Since you asked their budgets then you are fine. If they want to moan and groan that is on them. So if they start, turn on your mute button. 2) I am still unsure what kind of support you are wanting from your BMs. Yes it would suck and hurt if one of your friend made hurtful comments to you about your Bach party plans but it is something you just have to get over. Other then that it sounds like they are putting together a party for you so yay! 3) I know you want the same thing for your FI but sometimes that just doesn't happen. It sounds like he does have some friends who want to plan a fun getaway for him and some that don't want to be involved. That is fine. If a week is not in your budget maybe talk to him about doing a long weekend instead. But not everyone in his wedding party needs to be in attendance. I am sure he will have just as good a time with those that can make it. I do recommend that glass of wine. Sometimes things seem like more of an issue then they really are. So take a deep breath and try not to worry about any of this. And I am guessing you are a newer poster? Well I may suggest lurking a bit to get the feel for how others typically respond. These boards tend to be very blunt. We don't really sugar coat things and we will tell you the hard truth. We aren't attacking or trying to offend you. Sometimes you need to be told "hey, chill out, you are acting crazy!" Remember we have all been there or are in the process of going through it. We have all had our crazy moments and a verbal slap upside the head is needed. So take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of wine and focus on getting married to your FI.
    I think she means the FMIL was booking all the available rooms in the hotel block or something, leaving none for the GMs. Which, well, it happens. Sometimes you have to stay in a different hotel than everyone else. 
  • Options
    I'm going to go with you need to calm down.  You are pissed at people based on your own high expectation, yet those same people do not even know these expectation even exist.   

It's okay to hope for things, but it's not okay to get mad when people do not live up to those unknown expectations. 

B-parties are not givens.  My own DH's was 2 nights before the wedding.  They just went to Atlantic City for a few hours and gambled.  I didn't even a b-party since all my BM's were OOT from me.  

As far as the wedding related stuff, well you can ask all you want for them to get rooms, but they are not required to so that.   The only thing you can do is give them information.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Sure, maybe I was a little harsh. But it's true. You do need to calm down. Possibly calm the fuck down. You should never, have EVER given your BMs a timeframe for a gift to you, unless asked (or budget? How does that even come up?!). Like a PP said, people need support in difficult times, not a happy occasion like getting married. What, excatly do you want from your BMs?

@ShesSoCold - the time frame and a general idea thing was something I brought up. I meant it as these people said they want to throw her a party so all she should really be involved in with the planning is letting them know a good time frame for her in regards when to have the party and a general idea of what she likes doesn't like to do (strippers vs not strippers). So I think that is what she meant when she said that she provided them with this info. Not that she told them to throw her a party.

• Options

@ShesSoCold - the time frame and a general idea thing was something I brought up. I meant it as these people said they want to throw her a party so all she should really be involved in with the planning is letting them know a good time frame for her in regards when to have the party and a general idea of what she likes doesn't like to do (strippers vs not strippers). So I think that is what she meant when she said that she provided them with this info. Not that she told them to throw her a party.

STUCKKKK --

Ohhh okay. That makes sense now. Budget still sounds odd, though. 
  • Options
    Maybe she gave them her budget? Like she can only afford to spend $X on an evening out?

• Options
    redoryx said:
    Okay... 1) These GM are adults right? Then why would your FMIL book their hotel rooms? I am sure they are capable of doing it themselves. Stop worrying about this. If they grumble about having to spend money on it, just ignore it. Same with their suits. Since you asked their budgets then you are fine. If they want to moan and groan that is on them. So if they start, turn on your mute button. 2) I am still unsure what kind of support you are wanting from your BMs. Yes it would suck and hurt if one of your friend made hurtful comments to you about your Bach party plans but it is something you just have to get over. Other then that it sounds like they are putting together a party for you so yay! 3) I know you want the same thing for your FI but sometimes that just doesn't happen. It sounds like he does have some friends who want to plan a fun getaway for him and some that don't want to be involved. That is fine. If a week is not in your budget maybe talk to him about doing a long weekend instead. But not everyone in his wedding party needs to be in attendance. I am sure he will have just as good a time with those that can make it. I do recommend that glass of wine. Sometimes things seem like more of an issue then they really are. So take a deep breath and try not to worry about any of this. And I am guessing you are a newer poster? Well I may suggest lurking a bit to get the feel for how others typically respond. These boards tend to be very blunt. We don't really sugar coat things and we will tell you the hard truth. We aren't attacking or trying to offend you. Sometimes you need to be told "hey, chill out, you are acting crazy!" Remember we have all been there or are in the process of going through it. We have all had our crazy moments and a verbal slap upside the head is needed. So take a deep breath, pour yourself a glass of wine and focus on getting married to your FI.
    I think she means the FMIL was booking all the available rooms in the hotel block or something, leaving none for the GMs. Which, well, it happens. Sometimes you have to stay in a different hotel than everyone else. 
    Ahh gotcha. That makes more sense. OP, if your FMIL books all the rooms at the chosen hotel then the GM will just have to stay elsewhere. No biggie.

• Options
    Hey OP, if you're still around, I don't think you should be so worked up over these parties. Seriously, I got married a few weeks ago and in the grand scheme of things, the bachelor/ette parties were the LEAST significant part of all of it. 

My H and I both did not expect to have anyone plan these for us, and I could tell he was a bit disappointed over it. So I said, "Let's just do our own fun weekend. We can take a mini road trip to x town and get a cool hotel room, and just hang out." I mean, you don't HAVE to have someone plan a party for you in order to have fun. Go have your own fun. 

We both ended up having simple, low-key stuff planned for us that was really fun, but no big deal either way. 

I think you should take a hands-off approach to this. If they plan stuff for your FI, then cool. If not, then no big deal. It's not something you need to stress over.  You can definitely still get married without these parties. And like I said, in the grand scheme of things, they're really not that important. I forgot I even had a bachelorette party until I read this thread. 
  • Options
    Professional forum.  Is that, like, a thing?  And if so, I'm thinking of applying.  Sounds more frustrating than my current job, but with more flexible hours and less travel.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    Professional forum.  Is that, like, a thing?  And if so, I'm thinking of applying.  Sounds more frustrating than my current job, but with more flexible hours and less travel.
    I was thinking professional forum, in like a forum for a certain profession.  I belong to a forum full of attorneys, but they drop the F bomb much more frequently than here. 

Still, how do you get a job as a professional BM?
  • Options
    She's annoyed they haven't booked a room yet?

For an event only 3 hours away I may or may not book a room. Yes, I am not opposed to 6 hours of driving in one day. Maybe they have other stuff going on after your wedding. Maybe they have friends/family who live closer to your venue. As long as they show up, whether they stay the night isn't really your concern.

If your FI can afford to take a week off work and if they are paying for the entire week, I also don't think it's a big deal for his bachelor party to be a week-long vacation. I may be in the minority here, but a week of guy time might be nice for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards